Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JJFIVEOH

Robin Lehner, league leader, nice turn around season

Recommended Posts

Most here knows I was a big fan of his, despite his shootout failures. 

I have to admit, he needed a fresh start so he needed to leave Buffalo. But I'm glad to see he turned it around. He is currently leading the NHL in both GAA and save percentage. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is Lehner considered to have a better save % than Laurent Brossoit, who has played 10 games?

Also: Ullmark is listed at 10 on the league leaders page of nhl.com, but he's 16th when you look at a list of all goalies. Only a couple have played a handful of games, so even if you throw out those guys, it doesn't seem to add up.

Edited by PASabreFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Why is Lehner considered to have a better save % than Laurent Brossoit, who has played 10 games?

Also: Ullmark is listed at 10 on the league leaders page of nhl.com, but he's 16th when you look at a list of all goalies. Only a couple have played a handful of games, so even if you throw out those guys, it doesn't seem to add up.

And Ullmark has one regulation loss, Hutton has one win in his last nine games. 

I'm just going by what the league considers to be the minimum amount of games played to be on the list of leaders. 

All I'm saying is I'm glad to see him doing well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am happy for Lehner.

 

He he got his chance here, but he needed a fresh start due to other circumstances.  It’s great that he got help and is turning it around.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

And Ullmark has one regulation loss, Hutton has one win in his last nine games. 

I'm just going by what the league considers to be the minimum amount of games played to be on the list of leaders. 

All I'm saying is I'm glad to see him doing well. 

Gotcha. Now I see that the minimum number of games required by the league is 12. Seems arbitrary, but whatever.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m over caring about addicts. I’ve known enough to know that they didn’t care about me at the time. Good for him, he finally chose to not be an aashole.

He’s not a Sabre anymore so I hope he loses every game he plays from here on out.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I’m over caring about addicts. I’ve known enough to know that they didn’t care about me at the time. Good for him, he finally chose to not be an aashole.

He’s not a Sabre anymore so I hope he loses every game he plays from here on out.

I agree.  He also stole $4m from the Pegula family last year.   He is an opponent in the Eastern conference and took 2 points from us yesterday.  He is the enemy.   I wish no ill or good will.  I owe nothing more than ambivalence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I’m over caring about addicts. I’ve known enough to know that they didn’t care about me at the time. Good for him, he finally chose to not be an aashole.

He’s not a Sabre anymore so I hope he loses every game he plays from here on out.

I don't like him more or less just because he's an addict. But, having been through the restaurant business, I the struggles of an addict and I'm glad to see he's turned his life around. 

I'm just glad to see him doing well because I knew he had the potential to be a pretty good goaltender. Fans in BFLO weren't happy with his shootout results, but he did show signs of being a good/great goaltender. One thing I liked about him was his fiery attitude, he reminds me of guys like Hextall and Billy Smith. It's nice to see goaltenders in the league with some kind of personality when most goaltenders have turned into cookie cutters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By all appearances, he’s getting well.  I’m glad for the human being.

But man, did somebody miss something last year!

Acknowledgment ...  I’m no expert on the topic.  Perhaps the clues are subtle.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jimminy Christmas - I just got oriented to the fact that the guy's faced a decent amount of rubber so far and has a SV% of .932.

So, FGMTM wasn't out of his tree giving away a 1st for the guy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Makes you wonder if whatever allowed Lehner to continue on like he was in Buffalo, but was dealt with after he left, is a Buffalo thing that perhaps affects the rest of the players in some way?  Very broad and general question, but, not without some sort of foundation.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Jimminy Christmas - I just got oriented to the fact that the guy's faced a decent amount of rubber so far and has a SV% of .932.

So, FGMTM wasn't out of his tree giving away a 1st for the guy?

Oh boy, the bald faced hornets will be dive bombing now.

I had the same thoughts.  That trade  doesnt look bad if the goalie is capable of these numbers.

As ... posted, wtf is in the water here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ... said:

Makes you wonder if whatever allowed Lehner to continue on like he was in Buffalo, but was dealt with after he left, is a Buffalo thing that perhaps affects the rest of the players in some way?  Very broad and general question, but, not without some sort of foundation.

I think Lehner was mishandled by GMTM, who was way too hands-off (and liked himself a drinkypoo too), and by the time Botterill came here there was no fixing the situation. Moving on from Lehner turned out to be better for both parties.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I think Lehner was mishandled by GMTM, who was way too hands-off (and liked himself a drinkypoo too), and by the time Botterill came here there was no fixing the situation. Moving on from Lehner turned out to be better for both parties.

I agree. I think this is one of the situations where both parties benefited by ending the relationship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2019 at 12:46 AM, JJFIVEOH said:

I don't like him more or less just because he's an addict. But, having been through the restaurant business, I the struggles of an addict and I'm glad to see he's turned his life around. 

I'm just glad to see him doing well because I knew he had the potential to be a pretty good goaltender. Fans in BFLO weren't happy with his shootout results, but he did show signs of being a good/great goaltender. One thing I liked about him was his fiery attitude, he reminds me of guys like Hextall and Billy Smith. It's nice to see goaltenders in the league with some kind of personality when most goaltenders have turned into cookie cutters. 

Sorry but.......

Billy Smith was a cheap shot dirtbag.

Could not stand the guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Weave said:

Oh boy, the bald faced hornets will be dive bombing now.

I had the same thoughts.  That trade  doesnt look bad if the goalie is capable of these numbers.

As ... posted, wtf is in the water here?

Well, it's by now clear that Lehner was having some serious problems in his days here. I do not lay that at the feet of "because Buffalo." OTOH ...

Just now, darksabre said:

I think Lehner was mishandled by GMTM, who was way too hands-off (and liked himself a drinkypoo too), and by the time Botterill came here there was no fixing the situation. Moving on from Lehner turned out to be better for both parties.

This is interesting. And more than a little sad.

Not for nothing: If we could swap Hutton's .909 for Lehner's .932, is this team still in a playoff spot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Well, it's by now clear that Lehner was having some serious problems in his days here. I do not lay that at the feet of "because Buffalo." OTOH ...

This is interesting. And more than a little sad.

Not for nothing: If we could swap Hutton's .909 for Lehner's .932, is this team still in a playoff spot?

Lehner works well in the NYI system because they limit shots and Lehner is good enough positionally to cover the net well and react as needed. His biggest weakness IMPO is puck tracking and rebound control. If we replaced Hutton's 909 with a 932, yes we probably are in a playoff spot. You are talking 23 less goals per 1000 shots or 2.3 less goals per 100. Considering the number of one goal games we would be in the playoffs. That said... the islanders as a team have allowed 116 less shots this season and Hutton has seen 173 more shots than Lehner.

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect puck tracking and rebound control were greatly affected by the substances in his system game time.  He might just be a very different goalie today.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Well, it's by now clear that Lehner was having some serious problems in his days here. I do not lay that at the feet of "because Buffalo." OTOH ...

This is interesting. And more than a little sad.

Not for nothing: If we could swap Hutton's .909 for Lehner's .932, is this team still in a playoff spot?

Probably not. I think Lehner is benefiting from a better defensive situation on the Island than we have here at the moment. Plus all Housley really has to do is stop playing Hutton so much. He wore the guy out.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lehner played like this for (his manic?) stretches in Buffalo too. And notably better under Bylsma's system than Housley's.

He seems to developed some stability to his game that is almost certainly rooted in improved mental health.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ogre said:

Sorry but.......

Billy Smith was a cheap shot dirtbag.

Could not stand the guy.

And Hextall wasn't? :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And Hextall wasn't? :huh:

Oh he was too! Billy was the original though.😉

I remember him using his stick like an axe on the back of Lindy’s legs.😡

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Oh he was too! Billy was the original though.😉

I remember him using his stick like an axe on the back of Lindy’s legs.😡

The butt end to his  face was more egregious.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...