Tage Thompson: what's the deal?

nfreeman

Ya, that was pretty. Used his strength, the reach.

I think we all now (myself included) have to have more confidence and patience with their decisions. Beginning of the year I thought Mittlestadt should go to Rochester for a year and clearly the speed he's developing at that was wrong, they were right. he is going to be an awesome talent. Same for Tage. Not sure how good he will become, but they were right to stick with him and he is looking better and better all the time. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

The coasting on the shootout goal was just insane. I've never seen anything quite like that. He coasted without moving a muscle, not even twitching, for like 25 feet. That was more "controller-unplugged" than the famous Ovie defense GIF, though in a much different way and with a much different result.

Not only was that awesome, but it was with the game on the line. Pretty impressive to keep the game going for a kid who just 2 weeks ago everyone in the fanbase wanted to be send to the AHL. Also, speaking of the shootout goal, you guys notice Rob Ray call Jimmy Howard "Larkin" during the replay of his attempt? lol

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

The coasting on the shootout goal was just insane. I've never seen anything quite like that. He coasted without moving a muscle, not even twitching, for like 25 feet. That was more "controller-unplugged" than the famous Ovie defense GIF, though in a much different way and with a much different result.

I know it’s not comparable on any level, but that’s what I do in my beer league. Coast in and then do a hard forehand shoulder drop while drawing the puck back and then go backhand. Keepers bite hard on that initial move after not seeing you twitch from the top of the circles. 

18 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I’m just gonna say it: there is a decent chance that TT becomes the new Afinogenov — a dangerous and explosive young scoring forward who is occasionally electrifying (albeit in a different way from the way Max was).  

I think Thompson has a lot more finish in his game where Max was a highlight reel goal line to goal line but usually a disaster around the net. 

Just now, Samson's Flow said:

The difference between Tage two weeks ago and now it's staggering. I don't know what changed, but he looks nothing like his ineffective first few months.

Tage 2.0

(I'm really worried my wife keeps mentioning she likes the name Tage. We are not naming our future child Tage.)

Almost like last year's Reinhart lightswitch turning on.  (Too small a sample size to say it IS like last season's Reino improvwment.

56 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

The difference between Tage two weeks ago and now it's staggering. I don't know what changed, but he looks nothing like his ineffective first few months.

Tage 2.0

(I'm really worried my wife keeps mentioning she likes the name Tage. We are not naming our future child Tage.)

Yeah you wouldn't want a hockey player to affect the naming of your child 

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5bfb42ca3138553845

2 hours ago, inkman said:

I think Thompson has a lot more finish in his game where Max was a highlight reel goal line to goal line but usually a disaster around the net. 

I agree with most of this but I think Max was pretty good around the net too.  He had 2 61-pt seasons and a 3rd with 73.

21 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I agree with most of this but I think Max was pretty good around the net too.  He had 2 61-pt seasons and a 3rd with 73.

My biggest beef with Max was his ceiling. His skating was Bure esque and hands were elite but he had a 10 cent head. His body could have gotten him 30-40 goals, his had relegated him to a perennial 20 goal scorer. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I’m just gonna say it: there is a decent chance that TT becomes the new Afinogenov — a dangerous and explosive young scoring forward who is occasionally electrifying (albeit in a different way from the way Max was).  

Ragin Tagin had a few filthy moves over the last few games that didn’t end up in the net but were absolutely electrifying.

Here's my take on Tage now versus earlier:  In his first few Sabres games he really didn't get the system or what to expect, and he wasn't sure what he was going to do with the puck when he got it, thus the toe drags and other delaying tactics.  He was stalling while his head caught up with the play.  Now he knows where he's going with the puck before he gets it; he's part of the flow of the play.

From HF Boards:

3LKQzcl.jpg

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Here's my take on Tage now versus earlier:  In his first few Sabres games he really didn't get the system or what to expect, and he wasn't sure what he was going to do with the puck when he got it, thus the toe drags and other delaying tactics.  He was stalling while his head caught up with the play.  Now he knows where he's going with the puck before he gets it; he's part of the flow of the play.

From HF Boards:

3LKQzcl.jpg

I hope your theory is right... what an addition if it holds.  Add Nyls and Oloffson next year and they really might be scary good...

The NHL needs a statcast system like MLB so we get real time data on shot speed, skating speed, etc.. We have the technology!

That one timer by Thompson looked exceptionally fast.  With his height and stick length he should be able to generate more leverage on his shots than a guy 4 -5 inches shorter.

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/24/2018 at 11:55 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Happy Gilmore who can skate.

Are we sure we lost the ROR trade?

I want to expand on this for a minute.  

I just reviewed my pt predictions and compared them to the scoring pace for each player and found Sobotka is giving us a pretty solid season and Thompson is growing in a solid player who is scoring at a nice level.  Admittedly Berglund has been a disaster.

So while we miss ROR scoring and PP faceoffs, we clearly don’t miss him in the lockerroom. 

So I ask given that Thompson looks like a Kotalik type player, Sobotka is adding much needed depth and we will also get a middle 1st rd prospect from the deal, while ROR is helping Stl to the bottom of the Central Div (although he is playing great), did we really lose this trade.  

Right now I’d grade:

Stl an A-, because ROR has delivered with scoring, but the team is worse since he arrived (they clearly need goaltending instead of ROR).

BUFF B, The Sabres are better overall, have better depth short and long-term and more cap room because of this deal despite missing ROR on the PP.

With Tage’s Shot and because of his last name I’m tempted to call him Tommy Gun. (I like Happy Gilmore also).

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Dressing room mythology aside, it's clear to me that the Sabres needed depth more than they needed one star 2C.

That’s a fair statement, especially with so many talented but unproven forwards in the system. I’d amend the statement to include cap considerations.

”The Sabres needed depth and cap room more than they needed one star 2C.”

I think ROR's locker room presence was pretty much the entire issue.  If ROR hadn't been a problem in the locker room, he'd still be here IMHO.  Otherwise, JBott wouldn't have taken 75 cents in dimes and quarters in exchange for a dollar bill.

Now, if TT turns into Afinogenov 2.0 and/or the 1st-rounder hits, it may end up being $1.50 in exchange for that dollar.  We'll see.

^

Good take.

Also, I am fairly flabbergasted that the team's stated preference to keep Thompson up with the big club -- rather than giving him minutes in Roch -- has apparently worked (to a point, so far). Tip of the hat to that approach. I was sure it was dead wrong to go about things that way.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.