Question about the trade yesterday...

Tolstoy

This is not a big deal, but I am just curious:

The Buffalo-Toronto trade that happened yesterday is reported in the following manner: 

JUNE 23: Toronto Maple Leafs acquire No. 156 pick in 2018 NHL Draft from Buffalo Sabres for sixth-round pick in 2019 NHL Draft.

What I don't understand is why you would trade the first pick of round six this year for what is almost definitely a later pick in round six next year? One wouldn't do such a thing straight up in the same year, much less for a future pick (all things equal, future picks have less value then present picks). There must be more to this than meets the eye, such as:

-There was another formal piece of the trade that was not reported.

-There was an informal handshake, wink-wink aspect of the trade not reported (wonder what that would be...)

-Next year's draft is considered to be so far ahead of this years draft that next year's round 6 player is guaranteed to be better than anything we could get in round six this year, even though it would be a later pick.

-No one really cares about a round six player much at all. They are all long shots to begin with when it comes to ever seeing NHL ice time.

Or am I missing something here?

Does this have anything to do with contract limits? That’s the first thing that came to mind for me.

50 contracts, but 90 total players and prospects (reserve list) in the organization. I thought the same thing regarding the reserve list limits. However then I realized a CHL player was the BPA on his board so he traded the pick rather then draft a CHL player.

Edit: I only count 59-62 players and prospects in our system currently. (I don’t know the status of certain college players).

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Botterill to Sexton: “that hipster douche Dubas wants our sixth, but he’s only willing to give us next years sixth.”

Sexton to Botterill: “looks like turd sandwich the rest of the way in this year Boss, but next year is when we really expect our investment in scouting Peru and Nepal to take off. I’d love an extra sixth then.”

Dubas to Shanahan: “that Botterill must have rocks instead of brains. Didn’t even know that left-handed overage centres taken from European third divisions have a 0.0037 % better chance of making it than the 6th rounder average of 2.8674? Mr MBA thinks he’s so smart.”

Edited by dudacek

Botterill to Sexton: “that hipster douche Dubas wants our sixth, but he’s only willing to give us next years sixth.”

Sexton to Botterill: “looks like turd sandwich the rest of the way in this year Boss, but next year is when we really expect our investment in scouting Peru and Nepal to take off. I’d love an extra sixth then.”

Dubas to Shanahan: “that ###### Botterill must have rocks instead of brains. Didn’t even know that left-handed overage centres taken from European third divisions have a 0.0037 % better chance of making it than the 6th rounder average of 2.8674? Mr MBA thinks he’s so smart.”

lol nice.

That said I didn't realise Dubas was so young! Dubas and Chayka are both analytics kids and are the two youngest GMs interestingly. Arizona I kind of understand, but it is interesting how a traditional old school hockey market has given the control to the analytics kid.

Seems strange. Figure he expects the spare 6th can help move up a few slots in the 4th or 5th if there's some college kid they really want to take a flyer on.

If they truly didn't see anyone left worth a 6th, why bother keeping the 7th round pick? Especially when it was used on the 5th D selection of this draft. Would rather have seen a reach on a goalie or trade it for a 6/7 next year as well.

How many 6th round picks ever make the NHL? It's so rare, I'm a little puzzled why anyone is spending more than 0.5 seconds thinking about it.

I guess Rasmus is old news already, but I do think it’s strange that we’ve had one of the biggest acquisitions in franchise history this weekend and there is more talk about CHL bias and trading a sixth round pick.

I guess Rasmus is old news already, but I do think it’s strange that we’ve had one of the biggest acquisitions in franchise history this weekend and there is more talk about CHL bias and trading a sixth round pick.

I mean, we've done a lot of talking about Dahlin.

The trade is completely uninteresting to me.

But his aversion to the CHL is fascinating.

Exhibit A for why megathreads fail.

On another forum I frequent, mods break off threads from their "Thoughts Deserving No Thread of Their Own" thread all the time.  It's actually a good way to keep the banter going and start new threads when the forum is otherwise slow.

The problem is not megathreads; it's the management of them.

Edited by Doohickie

How many 6th round picks ever make the NHL? It's so rare, I'm a little puzzled why anyone is spending more than 0.5 seconds thinking about it.

Because it's completely bizarre to trade something obviously worth X for something obviously worth less than X.

Because it's completely bizarre to trade something obviously worth X for something obviously worth less than X.

When there isn't need factored in. (Like this case)

-Next year's draft is considered to be so far ahead of this years draft that next year's round 6 player is guaranteed to be better than anything we could get in round six this year, even though it would be a later pick.

I think it's this. The "slope" of talent/chances within the 6th round is pretty flat for an individual year. But the Sabres might think this year is weak and next year's later rounds are just better overall.

I think it's this. The "slope" of talent/chances within the 6th round is pretty flat for an individual year. But the Sabres might think this year is weak and next year's later rounds are just better overall.

They're not.  They're the same every year.  So take your shot and hope you land a Miller or Zetterberg.

I know we didn't technically acquire him until Friday, but Dahlin has functionally been a Sabre for awhile now. Much of what can be talked about already was prior to the pick.

They also felt the players on their board would be available in the seventh round and they picked up another asset for the next draft.

Well you just said it: Players. If there were multiple players on the list still, should have used the pick.

Seems strange. Figure he expects the spare 6th can help move up a few slots in the 4th or 5th if there's some college kid they really want to take a flyer on.

If they truly didn't see anyone left worth a 6th, why bother keeping the 7th round pick? Especially when it was used on the 5th D selection of this draft. Would rather have seen a reach on a goalie or trade it for a 6/7 next year as well.

This. I like Botterill so far, and I can't even begin to judge his drafting acumen yet. But this was a head scratcher value wise, even if it was a late round pick.

Actually, no, it was logically a dumb move. Needs to be said.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.