Prediction Time: Will the Sabres make a major trade at or before the draft?

nfreeman

Is it about to get real?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Sabres make a major trade at or prior to the draft (not do you want them to -- the question is whether it will happen)?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If the Sabres do make a major trade, which Sabre(s) will get shipped out? (check as many as you like)

• ROR
    • Reinhart
    • Risto
    • Eichel
    • Mittlestadt
    • Nylander
    • Guhle
    • 2018 2nd-round pick
    • 2019 1st-round pick
    • No trade
  3. 3. If the Sabres do make a major trade, what will be the primary piece they receive in return? (check only one)

• Starting goalie (i.e. ready to start now)
    • Top goalie prospect
    • Top-4 defenseman
    • Top D prospect
    • Top-6 winger
    • Top forward prospect
    • 2018 first-rounder
    • 2019 first-rounder
    • Cap relief (i.e. dumping KO, Bogo or Pommer)
    • No trade

Alright, let's have 'em.

NB that Question #1 assumes that a trade of Nylander, Guhle or #32 this year would constitute a major trade.

As always, the question is not what you want to have happen -- it's what will happen.

With that in mind, I voted:

Yes

Starting goalie

I don't think there will be a major trade by us at the draft, nor do I want any of the guys listed to be traded (except for maybe Nylander who isn't worth much anyway).

If a major trade did happen I'd assume it would be either O'Reilly or Ristolainen.

The best piece coming back would likely be a top 6 forward.

As a side note any trade of O'Reilly would like happen after we pay his bonus on July 1st. This should likely increase the price and the market for him because he'll then only be owed $1 million for the 2018-2019 season and by that point we should know where the rest of the big name centers (Tavares and Stastny) will end up. I don't want him traded but it would be smarter to hold off if we want the best value for him.

Edited by Alkoholist

congrats

You really don't think if RoR gets traded it won't be at the draft? Curious, why not?

His value spikes after July 1, because of his bonus. A team like Carolina would much rather pay him 25 million over 5 years than 7.5 mil more than that just by waiting one week. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

hey nfreeman, if you choose "no" in your poll, it doesn't let you vote because it wants  you to select one of the other choices, but if i pick one of those randomly it'll skew the results from people who think they will make a trade. 

Ah didn't know that, good catch.

Which means I think draft week will be boringggggg

His value spikes after July 1, because of his bonus. A team like Carolina would much rather pay him 25 million over 5 years than 7.5 mil more than that just by waiting one week. 

Yep. Plus the teams who miss out on Tavares and Stastny will likely be incrementally more desperate to improve their team at center. Right now some of the teams interested in O'Reilly may still be holding out hope that they can upgrade with just money. Once those guys sign they won't have that option.

Yep. Plus the teams who miss out on Tavares and Stastny will likely be incrementally more desperate to improve their team at center. Right now some of the teams interested in O'Reilly may still be holding out hope that they can upgrade with just money. Once those guys sign they won't have that option.

Also another good point

hey nfreeman, if you choose "no" in your poll, it doesn't let you vote because it wants  you to select one of the other choices, but if i pick one of those randomly it'll skew the results from people who think they will make a trade. 

Thanks.  FIxed (I think).

NO ONE IS TRADING FOR LEHNER WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE

I so much want this to happen...????

Sabres are going to be busy. They will trade O’Reilly and acquire a solid winger and a goalie - not necessarily in the same deal.

But the big stuff isn’t happening until the summer.

Edited by dudacek

Nope. They're signing Bernier in goal and trading ROR after July 1.

Question, July 1 usually sees the most action, does a team have to wait until July 2 to trade for him to avoid the bonus, or is it a free for all once July 1 hits?

I agree that after Tavares et all are spoken for, O'Reilly's value will increase.

I believe there will be a team out there willing to overpay for him.

The question becomes- will the return jibe with Botterill's vision for the team? Can he make it work with his vision?

Even if you can get an "over-payment," isn't it still necessary that those pieces work with your system? If they don't, might we still be better off sticking with ROR?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.