Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

18 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

So you can keep your job as resident goon.  The rookies want their shot and the only way to get it is to fight an established guy and break his face.

I feel like resident goon isn't really much of a thing anymore. This isn't the dead puck era.

It's a time-honored tradition in preseason that rookies on the cusp demonstrate their determination, will, and intensity by fighting, thereby getting them noticed by coaches and fans.  This isn't new.

Guys that don't have a lot of tools go in thinking they gotta kick someone's ass like it's their first day in prison.  Baddock found the biggest dude in the yard and broke him off a piece.

Is it righteous?  It's as righteous as fighting is to the sport.

so with Sam taking a 2 year $3.65M/yr deal, where does that leave Willy Nylander?  Nylander is asking for $8M/yr.  Nylander has been about ~10 points better per year than Sam, is that worth almost $4.5M/yr more?  I don't think so.  I think Nylander is going to have to be more willing to negotiate.

McKenzie says Nylander and the Leaves still aren't anywhere near a deal and both sides want a long-term deal. That sounds like it'll get pricey for TML.

This seems like a move that makes a lot of sense for Vegas. They've been aggressive on all fronts, and while they had a few big adds (Stastny, Pacioretty) this would be a player who could be a part of their core for a decade. They don't really have much of that set in stone right now.

8 minutes ago, Hoss said:

McKenzie says Nylander and the Leaves still aren't anywhere near a deal and both sides want a long-term deal. That sounds like it'll get pricey for TML.

This seems like a move that makes a lot of sense for Vegas. They've been aggressive on all fronts, and while they had a few big adds (Stastny, Pacioretty) this would be a player who could be a part of their core for a decade. They don't really have much of that set in stone right now.

Last I read Nylander wanted $8M per. I'm guessing the Leafs are more around $6.5M per

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

'Mark Stone wants out of Ottawa'

@TVASports
«Ce qu’on m’a dit, c’est que Mark Stone ne veut plus être à Ottawa. Il ne veut plus jouer à Ottawa.» - @LouisJean_TVA. #Sens http://www.tvasports.ca/2018/09/19/apres-karlsson-stone-sur-le-depart

"What I have been told is that Mark Stone does not want to be in Ottawa anymore. He does not want to play in Ottawa anymore."

18 minutes ago, WildCard said:

'Mark Stone wants out of Ottawa'

@TVASports
«Ce qu’on m’a dit, c’est que Mark Stone ne veut plus être à Ottawa. Il ne veut plus jouer à Ottawa.» - @LouisJean_TVA. #Sens http://www.tvasports.ca/2018/09/19/apres-karlsson-stone-sur-le-depart

This is a contender for least surprising news in human history. 

4 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

had someone here posted the video where the team's 6/7/8 d-man interviewed the owner for ~5 minutes? brutal.

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

Not to my knowledge.  I'd love to see it.

It was shared on here.. perhaps in this thread.  The best part is that they misspelled Borowiecki's name in the video.  

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Watching Melnyk's brutally awkward interview leads me to conclude that I don't want to hear more from the Pegulas.

My favorite part was when Eugene was talking about how great the locker room is/will be when it's all about the "team" and Borowiecki was like "...so how are you gonna help us fix the locker room bc it's not the sunshine and roses you paint it as" in slightly more coded words

10 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

He is, he's also likely on some meds and is feeling different.  He needs to learn how to be a good goalie when he's not manic.  

Also, having worked in MH for a while, I had several people complain to me that their meds made them feel kinda fuzzy mentally, like they weren't themselves and they had trouble focusing or concentrating on things which is way they would be so terrible with med compliance and have so many issues.  The meds would keep them stable but they didn't like the way they felt while they were on them so they'd stop. 

Part of me blames the way those kinds of meds work, but part of me thinks that people with those issues tend to like the way they feel when they are in the manic phase.  They are hyper productive, have lots of energy, etc.  The complaints I'd get sort of corroborate that they miss the up swings. I don't get excited about anything anymore, I can't get anything done, I have a hard time focusing on something, etc.  Right, but compared to what?  Compared to the typical person or compared to when you were previously flying around manic cleaning your house at 3AM?  They don't like the depressive phase for obvious reasons.  The meds even out both sides, not just the side they don't like.  Also, they are USED to feeling that way so when they say they don't feel like themselves they are being truthful.  They aren't used to feeling generally the way everyone else feels, not too up, not too down. Robin's self medication of choice seems to have been downers (alcohol, Ambien).  If he starts to miss the ups or starts to think he can't be a good goalie without the ups he's in big jeopardy either of finding a new way to feel up or d/cing his meds to "feel like himself".

If you have a different experience that's cool, just my observations working with people.

Appreciate the post, and the insight. Frighteningly, I think you just described my daughters mother. 

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Max Domi is a scumbag. Suckerpunched Ekblad in a preseason game. Classless. He does it to Dahlin, I want a full line brawl. 

That was so dumb. A guy with well-documented concussion problems, who had no interest in fighting. 

Wish Domi wasn't in the division, and it's not because of his hockey talents