Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

One or both of these players could be the next big move.  Columbus having a difficult time keeping good players around despite having built a decent competitive team.  Up and coming, underrated good city to live in, with a lot going on, decent arena with good atmosphere.  Not enough though, apparently for many pro athletes?

The cost would be very high for either.  Both could help the Sabres obviously.  Any interest in Panarin especially?  Is Buffalo even a desired destination for him?  What would it take to get him?

8 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

One or both of these players could be the next big move.  Columbus having a difficult time keeping good players around despite having built a decent competitive team.  Up and coming, underrated good city to live in, with a lot going on, decent arena with good atmosphere.  Not enough though, apparently for many pro athletes?

The cost would be very high for either.  Both could help the Sabres obviously.  Any interest in Panarin especially?  Is Buffalo even a desired destination for him?  What would it take to get him?

Does Columbus have any restaurants with menus that aren't laminated with photos of the food in them?  (Actually, this might go for the whole state.)

Anyway.  I don't want the Sabres to pay what it would take to get Panarin, unless Columbus only wants picks or something AND a deal to retain him is worked out in advance.

12 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Does Columbus have any restaurants with menus that aren't laminated with photos of the food in them?  (Actually, this might go for the whole state.)

Anyway.  I don't want the Sabres to pay what it would take to get Panarin, unless Columbus only wants picks or something AND a deal to retain him is worked out in advance.

It would be useless anyways. He's pretty set on playing in NYC or Florida

18 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I live near Columbus, it's like that here too.  I have been to a few places where the meal looks as good as the picture!

54 minutes ago, Eleven said:

35 minutes ago, Marions Piazza said:

I live near Columbus, it's like that here too.  I have been to a few places where the meal looks as good as the picture!

Wow, you two need to get out more because despite the outdated stereotypes and views, Columbus is thriving.  Population booming.  Just food-wise, the food trucks, fast casual, breweries, and restaurants, are as a whole, varied and excellent.  Not going to stick up for Ohio as a whole because, like much of New York state, there are large swaths of nothing.

But, back to my point, it seems like a place that young, rich athletes would like to be because of all there is to do here.  With a decent team and I doubt they get bothered or recognized much when they're out on the town.  It just seems that Bob and Panarin will likely be traded this season at some point.

30 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

Wow, you two need to get out more because despite the outdated stereotypes and views, Columbus is thriving.  Population booming.  Just food-wise, the food trucks, fast casual, breweries, and restaurants, are as a whole, varied and excellent.  Not going to stick up for Ohio as a whole because, like much of New York state, there are large swaths of nothing.

But, back to my point, it seems like a place that young, rich athletes would like to be because of all there is to do here.  With a decent team and I doubt they get bothered or recognized much when they're out on the town.  It just seems that Bob and Panarin will likely be traded this season at some point.

I was half-kidding.  I haven't been to Columbus in 20 years.  

24 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I was half-kidding.  I haven't been to Columbus in 20 years.  

Come back and see us.  You'll be amazed at the difference.  Also, take Panarin back to Buffalo with you.  Maybe Bob as well.  We'll see how the Buffalo goalies do this year.  Probably a safe bet that we could always use a multiple Vezina Trophy winner though.

Just now, That Aud Smell said:

I'm sure lifestyle is a part of it.

But I'm also sure as eggs is eggs that getting to keep more of the money you earn has, y'know, something to do with it too.

I'm pretty sure the whole taxes thing has been debunked honestly 

40 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Has it?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2017/07/14/location-tax-rates-can-have-big-impact-on-contracts-value/103700802/

Raiola cites former Utah Jazz forward Gordon Hayward's recent deal with the Celtics as an example. Boston and the Miami Heat could have offered Hayward essentially the same contract, but Hayward would have made more in Miami due to the different tax rates in Florida and Massachusetts. Of course, that would depend on where he had taken up residence.

Packard says he has a client who was choosing among three teams last year. Packard said a team from a state without an income tax offered his client the lowest salary, but it actually turned out to be the most lucrative deal once taxes were taken into account.

Packard says teams located in places without state income taxes use it as a leveraging tool and make players well aware of the advantages of signing there. In the NBA, that would include the Heat, Rockets, Orlando Magic, San Antonio Spurs, Dallas Mavericks and Memphis Grizzlies.

49 minutes ago, WildCard said:

It's not debunked, it's just overrated and hard to calculate the actual difference without knowing what deductions the athlete takes, endorsement dollar differences, etc. The agent should definitely know. Us or Joe Journalist? Not so much. 

3 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

It's not debunked, it's just overrated and hard to calculate the actual difference without knowing what deductions the athlete takes, endorsement dollar differences, etc. The agent should definitely know. Us or Joe Journalist? Not so much. 

A lotta moving parts, as they say. But getting a tax-advantaged salary has to be in the mix a lot of the time when a FA is deciding on where to land.

How'd this start? That Panarin wants to go to a team in Florida?