Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

For years, NBCSN has pounded the markets that were expected to have high nation-wide ratings in the US.  These were teams that "traveled well" into markets that weren't directly involved in the game.  But now they're going to distribute games more widely.

Why?

Two reasons: the big markets stuck at hockey and NBC needs to test the profitability of more distributed coverage.

The top TV markets:

NY - No playoffs for NYR or NYI

LA - Wildcard team

CHI - No playoffs

PHI - 3rd in Metro (only 2 points from being out of playoffs)

DAL - No playoffs

SF/SJ - 3rd in Pacific

WSH - Doing just fine

Houston - Lulz

BOS - Doing just fine,

ATL - Lulz

TBL - Doing just fine

PHX - Let's be serious

DET - No playoffs

That's a lot of TVs not watching NBCSN in May.  I think TBL, WSH, NSH, and VGK leading the division standings scared the out of NBCSN programmers.  They suddenly decide after years of milking CHI, NYR, and PHI that "hey, look at these other markets, and look, Canadian teams.  Isn't this fun?"  Suspect.

I also think this is a test.  NBC will determine what's more profitable (fewer bigger markets or many diverse markets) and how profitable it is before they start negotiating the new TV contract, set to start in 2021-22.

Don't get me wrong, this is definitely healthy for the sport, but the timing's suspicious.  Dolla dolla bill y'all.

NBC is in a tough spot cause they have to balance the schedule with what will bring in the highest rating for them. Because they arent representing on local team, they have to try and figure out what a national audience that ranks hockey as its 4th-5th rated sport will tune in for.

Will people in NY tune in to watch the Canes take on the Coyotes on a Wednesday night?

I'm surprised they still do the schedule so far ahead of time and not chose a game a week or 2 in advance from what is lined up for that day. It wouldn't be hard to look at a schedule 2-3 weeks ahead of time and pick a game from the schedule to broadcast for that week?

33 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

NBC is in a tough spot cause they have to balance the schedule with what will bring in the highest rating for them. Because they arent representing on local team, they have to try and figure out what a national audience that ranks hockey as its 4th-5th rated sport will tune in for.

Will people in NY tune in to watch the Canes take on the Coyotes on a Wednesday night?

I'm surprised they still do the schedule so far ahead of time and not chose a game a week or 2 in advance from what is lined up for that day. It wouldn't be hard to look at a schedule 2-3 weeks ahead of time and pick a game from the schedule to broadcast for that week?

Doubt it is a scheduling issue for picking the games and more an advertising issue.  Not just for NBCSN, but also for the local broadcaster that now has a 3 hour hole in their broadcast schedule.  

If MSG only finds out they're losing a Sabres-Bruins game 2 weeks before the game, they'll likely have issues filling those advertising slots & refunding the newly unbroadcastable prior advertising slots.

Personally, I think it's going to blow up in their face.  I don't blame them for trying something new, but I just don't think the audience that wants to see every single team is out there.  The big markets and stars are always going drive these things in every sport.

5 minutes ago, shrader said:

Personally, I think it's going to blow up in their face.  I don't blame them for trying something new, but I just don't think the audience that wants to see every single team is out there.  The big markets and stars are always going drive these things in every sport.

So say you're the one local hockey fan in Omaha.  Don't you want to see McDavid a couple of times a year instead of Boston and Filly all the time?  Because the hockey fans in Boston and Filly are going to watch no matter who is on.

Edited by Eleven

10 minutes ago, shrader said:

It seems to have worked out pretty well for the NHL's schedule strategy; playing a home-and-home with every team in the league

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

So say you're the one local hockey fan in Omaha.  Don't you want to see McDavid a couple of times a year instead of Boston and Filly all the time?  Because the hockey fans in Boston and Filly are going to watch no matter who is on.

Right, that would be the star portion of my post.  Still, that only adds 2 or 3 teams to the list of big time draws, and that's in the case where your big star isn't already playing in one of the major markets.

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

Right, that would be the star portion of my post.  Still, that only adds 2 or 3 teams to the list of big time draws, and that's in the case where your big star isn't already playing in one of the major markets.

Gotcha.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, shrader said:

Ultimately, the upshot of this is an attempt to turn "Wednesday night hockey" into a brand a la Monday night football. It's a longshot for sure. 

Outside of the major markets there are countless "fans" who only turn in for the playoffs. if the NHL can turn WNH into sports fan appointment viewing instead of what hockey hardos watch when their team is off, that would be the ultimate success. Spreading the slots out to emerging markets could help that cause

12 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

Vancouver seems to be going in on a 50th Anniversary this season.  Some sort of agreement putting the Sabres back a year?  Seeing as how we got Gilbert, might as well let them go first this time. 

That logo is almost as bad as the goathead.

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

I think it was part of a fan vote on which uniform to bring back for the anniversary and that one won

Seeing as how they already use the original hockey stick logo as a shoulder patch, they don't actually have any other logo that they could bring back.  They've only ever had that, the skate, and now the whale C.  There's also the V neck thing, but that's not a logo.

16 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

Vancouver seems to be going in on a 50th Anniversary this season.  Some sort of agreement putting the Sabres back a year?  Seeing as how we got Gilbert, might as well let them go first this time. 

When do the Sabres plan to celebrate theirs? During 2020-2021? I thought I'd read that there was a different way of counting things -- the number of season played, or the number of years in existence. Or something?

Just now, That Aud Smell said:

When do the Sabres plan to celebrate theirs? During 2020-2021? I thought I'd read that there was a different way of counting things -- the number of season played, or the number of years in existence. Or something?

Vancouver is doing 50 years, Buffalo is doing 50 seasons.

4 hours ago, darksabre said:

Vancouver is doing 50 years, Buffalo is doing 50 seasons.

Why wouldn't they celebrate the 50th year of the franchise... 50 years, not 50 seasons. 

Leave it to Buffalo to it up.