2018 Free Agent Class

Brawndo

Yeah, seems like Mrazek would be a better bet. With the competition for goalies, how likely would the Sabres be able to sign one if they don't go for a 3 year deal? A team having the worst record in 3 of the last 5 seasons will have a hard time getting any free agents to sign.

I guess it depends what they're looking for. If it's team success, we don't have much to offer. But I feel like a lot of these guys will be looking for an opportunity to start, which we can definitely offer, whereas better teams can't. Signing for 1 year, starting, and leveraging that into the next contract might be an attractive option for career backups.

I want to be clear, I don't like any of the UFA options. So for me, it's a choice among bad alternatives. Personally, I'd rather take a little worse player for a 1-year deal than a little better player for a 3-year deal. I don't think the difference between our options will mean much of anything in the standings, so I'd prefer to go a route that has no commitment. 

Might as well have given it to Lehner then.

If you have two supposed bad goalies, but one's stats crush the other's albeit in an easier role, and the better stats man is noted for his excellent locker room presence while bad stats man refuses to practice the thing he's worst in the league at and is a black cloud over everyone's head, why would you choose that one?

Lehner has a career sv% of .915 let's not forget lol. If we sign Mrazek I will be rattled he's a statically worse version of Lehner. If the alternatives are Bernier, ward might as well try for Sparks or Pickard from the leafs and roll 2 young guys and hope one runs with it. If not trade for a solid vet. Would be open to Hutton at 2x4M but not 3x3.5M

I guess it depends what they're looking for. If it's team success, we don't have much to offer. But I feel like a lot of these guys will be looking for an opportunity to start, which we can definitely offer, whereas better teams can't. Signing for 1 year, starting, and leveraging that into the next contract might be an attractive option for career backups.

I want to be clear, I don't like any of the UFA options. So for me, it's a choice among bad alternatives. Personally, I'd rather take a little worse player for a 1-year deal than a little better player for a 3-year deal. I don't think the difference between our options will mean much of anything in the standings, so I'd prefer to go a route that has no commitment. 

This post reeks of logic. I had to read it a few times to fully drink it in.

I'm pinning my hopes on a trade for a goalie that is a level up from the UFA crop.

Custance reporting in the athletic that HHutton was in Buffalo yesterday.

Athletic also has a nice breakdown on the goalie class.

Of interest, Lehner possibly to the Rangers to learn from his idol Lundqvist.

Edited by dudacek

If you have two supposed bad goalies, but one's stats crush the other's albeit in an easier role, and the better stats man is noted for his excellent locker room presence while bad stats man refuses to practice the thing he's worst in the league at and is a black cloud over everyone's head, why would you choose that one?

Not a fan of Hutton's game since I watched him play in person many times in Nashville. But, he is definitely as good a guy as you'll ever want to meet. Very likeable. He used to do interviews every game that he didn't start (as Pekka's backup) during the local Preds broadcasts. He's got a career as a broadcaster after he is done playing. Smart and extremely well-spoken.

Always subject to change between now and Sunday, but at this hour on the goalie carousel, it would appear Carter Hutton is the leading option in Buffalo, Jonathan Bernier likely headed to Detroit and as we said before, Cam Ward likely to Chicago...

Per LeBrun

We are also rumoured to have talked to JVR 

This all comes down to money.  Would love seeing what JVR could do playing with Jack.  But the cost will be too much.  Not to mention he disappeared during the playoffs and is a defensive liability.  He's here for one thing, score goals.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.