2018 Free Agent Class

Brawndo

Signing an equally mediocre goalie to not 3 years? I'm fine with a goalie for 3 years to solidify the position, but Hutton doesn't do that.

Well that's what I'm asking. Seriously, what other option is there than Hutton? The FA goalie market is absolutely garbage. Seems the only way to get a decent goaltender these days is to either draft your own or trade for someone's backup. So, where are the backups we usually hear about this time of year?

Edited by WildCard

Bernier. Mrazek. Joe Blow. Who cares? Signing a mediocrity like Hutton to 3 years is lunacy. He could as easily post a .906 next year (see: below replacement level) as a be league average. 

Even for something like 3X2M? It's not like we don't have the cap space, and at $2M per we can easily just ditch him

Edited by WildCard

Bernier. Mrazek. Joe Blow. Who cares? Signing a mediocrity like Hutton to 3 years is lunacy. He could as easily post a .906 next year (see: below replacement level) as a be league average. 

I'm going to start calling you Mikey, you hate everybody.  :P You may have to be of a certain older age to get that but..... 

He splits time with Ullmark the first year, he's the backup the next 2. It's not like he's going to get an AAV of 5M. He'll be as good as anyone else on the market

If he gets 4M, he's the flat out starter

Edited by jsb

I'm going to start calling you Mikey, you hate everybody.  :P You may have to be of a certain older age to get that but..... 

He splits time with Ullmark the first year, he's the backup the next 2. It's not like he's going to get an AAV of 5M. He'll be as good as anyone else on the market

If he gets 4M, he's the flat out starter

I do, but it's not like it isn't justified. The entire UFA goalie market sucks! There's no good reason to heavily invest in one mediocrity over another. We're going to sign feces, I've accepted that...but there's no reason to commit to it. Sign cheap feces!

He was only at $1.125M last year. At $4M, I'd lost it 

Look at some of the comparable contracts unproven starters have signed recently. It's not going to be a bargain deal.

I mean I would but I don't even know where to start with on how to google that one :lol:

Carolina gave Scott Darling a 4-year, $4.15M AAV contract after never starting more than 32 games. He was coming off a 32 start season with a .924 SV%. He started 43 games for Carolina, rocking an awesome .888 SV%. I'm too lazy to look up the rest, but you're looking at around $4M on average for would-be starters.

Carolina gave Scott Darling a 4-year, $4.15M AAV contract after never starting more than 32 games. He was coming off a 32 start season with a .924 SV%. He started 43 games for Carolina, rocking an awesome .888 SV%. I'm too lazy to look up the rest, but you're looking at around $4M on average for would-be starters.

Him and Raanta are about all I can find to support this. Well maybe Grubbauer, he got $3.3M per

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/average/goaltender/

Him and Raanta are about all I can find to support this. Well maybe Grubbauer, he got $3.3M per

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/average/goaltender/

Cam Talbot as well. 

Edit: If we got end up with Hutton, I'd bet it's around 3 years $3.5M. Little higher or lower wouldn't shock me, but it'll be well above what he's worth regardless. Keep in mind, we're bidding against other teams, not like we're buying RFA years here. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED

i don't think so, I'm thinking the opposite and we see a couple big moves to shake things up

They have said they need to shake things up and I think we will see more then bandaids and just depth signings while they waste another year waiting for youth to develop.

I'm not so sure they make big moves. Two of the biggest recent contracts were Kane and O'Reilly. Kane was traded and O'Reilly may be soon. Anybody know where they're at with salary cap for next season?

Nick shore should be on this list.

Is he related to Eddie Shore?

Signing an equally mediocre goalie to not 3 years? I'm fine with a goalie for 3 years to solidify the position, but Hutton doesn't do that.

Am I missing something with Hutton? 17-7-3, led the NHL IN GAA at 2.09, .931 SV%, 3 SO. Yes, it was a career year for him at age 32 but those are outstanding stats.

Am I missing something with Hutton? 17-7-3, led the NHL IN GAA at 2.09, .931 SV%, 3 SO. Yes, it was a career year for him at age 32 but those are outstanding stats.

That's precisely the problem. His previous best was a .918 in 17 starts in 2015-16. His career average, including his career-best season, is .915. I'll dump his first season in the NHL where he had a whopping 1 start, but he's posted the following: .910, .902, .918, .913, .931. One of those is not like the others. If you're committing to him for 3 years at a decent salary, you're essentially projecting that the outlying year is the real Hutton. I find that highly unlikely. For reference, his career average would have put him at 21s in the league last season among qualified goalies. That's...not good. Bernier, meanwhile, has a career .914, and is drawing (as reported) considerably less interest. Mrazek has a career .911, and has almost no interest. If you think the real Hutton is a .931 guy, then by all means, commit. But that's a bad bet.

That's precisely the problem. His previous best was a .918 in 17 starts in 2015-16. His career average, including his career-best season, is .915. I'll dump his first season in the NHL where he had a whopping 1 start, but he's posted the following: .910, .902, .918, .913, .931. One of those is not like the others. If you're committing to him for 3 years at a decent salary, you're essentially projecting that the outlying year is the real Hutton. I find that highly unlikely. For reference, his career average would have put him at 21s in the league last season among qualified goalies. That's...not good. Bernier, meanwhile, has a career .914, and is drawing (as reported) considerably less interest. Mrazek has a career .911, and has almost no interest. If you think the real Hutton is a .931 guy, then by all means, commit. But that's a bad bet.

Yeah, seems like Mrazek would be a better bet. With the competition for goalies, how likely would the Sabres be able to sign one if they don't go for a 3 year deal? A team having the worst record in 3 of the last 5 seasons will have a hard time getting any free agents to sign.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.