Stanley Cup Finals: 2018 NHL Playoffs

LGR4GM

As a Knights fan I don’t think we are coming back in this series. But I’m not gonna give up on them. Love these players. A lot of character guys on this team. Hey they were 500-1 odds before the season. Nobody and I mean nobody seen this coming. I’m just hoping the guys that had these bets hedged them.

The Caps run to the Cup

- Came back from down 2-0 games

- Took the defending champs and beat them in 6 games, on the road

- Took the best team in the East and beat them, after coming back from 3 games to 1, in 7 games, on the road

Vegas run to the Cup

- Swept and old and decrepit Kings team

- Beat a good Sharks team in 6 games.

- Dominated a very good Jets team 4-1

One of these teams knows what it's like to be down, and to come back from being down. The Caps have been where Vegas is now, Vegas has not. Washington is not letting this get away

Edited by WildCard

^

Read something else and saw that Fleury hasn't been bad, per se, but the Capitals are getting really, really high percentage chances.

But, whatever. Fleury and the Knights were riding his ridiculous SV% during the playoffs. There was a good chance it would regress. And it has.

Washington has been putting on a clinic with respect to covering up in the defensive zone. They're making lots of short, quick passes and they're picking up rebounds with urgency. Vegas isn't getting a lot of second opportunities. It's one and done, even if the one is really dangerous.

Credit where it's due not only to Washington's defensive corps for having the skill to play this way, but to the Washington forwards for playing a very responsible puck support game. It has made their transitions out of the zone extremely effective.

This is, essentially, how the Sabres should be playing hockey in the near future, given what our defense should look like soon. It'll be interesting to see how Botterill evaluates our D corps. I think he's going to be looking at who is getting on loose pucks quickly and who is making the best first pass. The first pass is a major concern for me with Risto and is why I think he could be moved. Dude brain farts a lot. 

Fun fact, island was originally iland, but an 's' was added to it in the 16th century to make it similar to isle.  Etymologically, however, island comes from Old English ig + land, whereas isle comes from Latin insula.

Okay, maybe that's only fun to weirdos like me.

It's not just you.  Thanks for sharing that information.  I love what is seemingly useless information to most people.

What does SS think of McNabb's hit on Oshie?

https://streamable.com/toa04

Well.. if the NHL wanted to eliminate that crap, it should be a major and a game.  I wouldn't suspend him.

But this is the NHL...

Did not watch the game, but saw the SV%.

Fleury's been ... not good during the SCF.

If he was still in Pittsburgh. I think you see Murray come in. Fleury was unbelievable the first 3 series but then again the team played much better in front of him. Vegas looked rattled since game 2. Hardly any second chances. And then the save on Tuch which will probably go down as one of the greatest in Stanley Cup History. Lack of production from the first three lines especially the second and third lines is killing this team. At least the first line is generating chances. They carried this team the whole playoffs. I look at two players not performing when they are needed most and that’s Erik Haula and David Perron. 4th line has been great all year. I can’t tell you guys how important Bellemare really is. I wish Buffalo had his leadership. This guy needs this offseason to heal. He’s been battered all year. Pucks and sticks to the face, blocking shots and so much more. Guy isn’t going to wow you with stats but is solid defensively. Hey now they have to pull of the impossible against Washington. Do I think they can? 2 of 3 games in Vegas. You never know. This team doesn’t call themselves the Golden misfits for nothing. We shall see what they are made of now. No matter what happens nobody and I mean nobody would have thought they would have made it to the Finals in year 1.

Not a huge Oshie fan, but I do like how he embarrassed Colin Miller.

Miller is a Bruin through and through.

Hard to decide who is a bigger douchebag: Reaves or Wilson. I’m leaning Wilson.

Wilson has more game and can play he doesn’t need to pull that crap.

^

Read something else and saw that Fleury hasn't been bad, per se, but the Capitals are getting really, really high percentage chances.

But, whatever. Fleury and the Knights were riding his ridiculous SV% during the playoffs. There was a good chance it would regress. And it has.

Spot on you are. The team hasn’t played that great in front of him this series as well. But hey they weren’t even supposed to make it this far. I can’t tell you what this team means to this city. I have lived here since 89 and never and I mean never thought I would have guessed hockey would have taken off like it has here. The atmosphere inside T Mobile has been unbelievable all season. I was at an Arizona game this year on a Saturday night and it was like 50% Arizona fans and 50% opposition fans but the building felt like a mogue. It was so boring and couldn’t wait to get back home. Full season seats sold out for next season in March and now a wait list for future holders. Crazy I tell you. I don’t think the Raiders are going to have as many local fans as the Knights do. We don’t even want the Raiders here.

Spot on you are. The team hasn’t played that great in front of him this series as well. But hey they weren’t even supposed to make it this far. I can’t tell you what this team means to this city. I have lived here since 89 and never and I mean never thought I would have guessed hockey would have taken off like it has here. The atmosphere inside T Mobile has been unbelievable all season. I was at an Arizona game this year on a Saturday night and it was like 50% Arizona fans and 50% opposition fans but the building felt like a mogue. It was so boring and couldn’t wait to get back home. Full season seats sold out for next season in March and now a wait list for future holders. Crazy I tell you. I don’t think the Raiders are going to have as many local fans as the Knights do. We don’t even want the Raiders here.

You may have seen me post to the effect that we spent an overnight -- a game night, as it turned out -- in Las Vegas in early April in connection with travels elsewhere. We stayed in the hotel that's basically connected to the arena. We were totally wow'd and charmed by the vibe, energy, and spirit surrounding the arena, the game, and so on.

You may have seen me post to the effect that we spent an overnight -- a game night, as it turned out -- in Las Vegas in early April in connection with travels elsewhere. We stayed in the hotel that's basically connected to the arena. We were totally wow'd and charmed by the vibe, energy, and spirit surrounding the arena, the game, and so on.

That’s great to hear. I was also in Anaheim early in the season to watch Buffalo play there and the atmosphere was good but not like Vegas. I know it’s much more then just a hockey game here in Vegas. Always hear how impressed other teams players are when they get done playing here. It’s been a loud building all season. I heard at the beginning of the season we had some issues with our fans giving $hit to opposing fans but I have heard they kinda cleaned that stuff up. To me you make all the city look bad when you start pulling $hit like that.

Fleury stats

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/23705264/2018-stanley-cup-final-conn-smythe-race-playoff-mvp-alex-ovechkin-evgeny-kuznetsov-braden-holtby-nhl

First round vs. Kings - .977

Second round vs. Sharks - .935

Conference finals vs. Jets - .938

Stanley Cup Final vs. Capitals - .845

I was thinking that Fleury was either going to be one of the best Smythe winners ever orrrrrrrrrrr Vegas was losing the cup haha

I was thinking that Fleury was either going to be one of the best Smythe winners ever orrrrrrrrrrr Vegas was losing the cup haha

It was only a matter of time before the real Fleury showed up

Which begs the question, if the Caps finish if off, who gets the Smythe? Kuznetsov? Holtby?

Ovechkin is only 5 points behind Kuznetsov. Still, it has to be him. Pretty sure his primary points are insane right now too. Though no doubt the NHL would love nothing more than to give it to Ovie

Ovechkin is only 5 points behind Kuznetsov. Still, it has to be him. Pretty sure his primary points are insane right now too. Though no doubt the NHL would love nothing more than to give it to Ovie

See: Crosby, Sidney.

This scheduling is so dumb. Game tomorrow and then the next one isn't until Sunday? 

Guys, I want the playoffs to be over. 

They've already played 4 games, and If this series goes the distance, it won't be over until over a week from now.