Stanley Cup Finals: 2018 NHL Playoffs

LGR4GM

Go Caps.  No way do I want to see Vegas win the cup in their first season when we haven't won one in nearly half a century of existence.

There have been enough other teams that came into the NHL after Buffalo that have already won Cups (although not in their first season).  I am pulling for the Golden Knights, as it shows that with the right choice of players and coaches that it doesn't take years of squirreling away draft picks to produce a Cup contender (and yes, I know that the entry draft meant positive extenuating circumstances for Vegas).  More than anything, I think it has been the attitude of the Knights' players that have allowed them to go this far.  There seem to be very few egos that need stroking in that locker room.  They've elevated the team concept to a new height.  I say that a Cup win for Vegas is a finger in the eye of every GM in the league who thinks it should take years of building a foundation to contend for the Cup.  Good for Vegas. :thumbsup:

Oh, yeah.... and I don't like Ovie. :angry:

Nice article on Caps last trip to finals after Joey Juneau scored in OT to beat the Sabres 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2018/05/24/heres-what-was-happening-the-last-time-the-capitals-advanced-to-the-stanley-cup-finals/?utm_term=.d14dfa50cc79

On June 4, 1998 — 7,293 days ago — Joe Juneau’s overtime goal in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference finals at Buffalo’s Marine Midland Arena advanced the Washington Capitals to the Stanley Cup finals for the first time in franchise history.

“It’s been a long time coming, to get the chance to win the Stanley Cup championship,” 18-year veteran Dale Hunter told The Post’s Liz Clarke after hoisting the Prince of Wales Trophy and celebrating with his teammates on the ice. “It’s just an unbelievable feeling.”

Before the game, Capitals Coach Ron Wilson compared clinching a berth in the Stanley Cup finals to Apollo 11 landing on the moon.

“I guess everybody wants to be the hero in a game like this,” said Juneau, who earned a degree in aeronautical engineering. “I looked at them just before we went into the overtime and told assistant coach Tim Army he was looking at Neil Armstrong. It’s good to put a little pressure on yourself and try to do it. This is the goal that brings you into the finals. It is the biggest deal.”