Larsson, Girgensons, and Bogo - Sabres next season?

GASabresIUFAN

Will these guys be Sabres next Season  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Larsson’s Future?

• On Sabres opening day roster
    • Traded this off-season
    • Sent to the minors or lent to a SHL team
    • Will be bought out this summer
  2. 2. Girgensons’s Future

• Traded this off-season
    • Sent to the minors or lent to a European team
    • Will be bought out
  3. 3. Bogo’s future

• Traded this off-season
    • Waived and sent to the AHL
    • Will be bought out
    • Will fail physical and land on LTIR

Bogo's contract is absurd given he plays 20 games per season and doesn't produce when healthy. $6 million per year for Glass Bo? Can he even be bought out? ...guess we're stuck with him until he gets hurt in November.

Larsson isn't an NHLer.

I actually kind of like Girgs as a defensive forward. He'd be a better 4th line center than Larsson IMHO.

If your argument for keeping a forward is that you like him as a 4th liner, then they have to go.  The Sabres' team culture is radioactive right now.  Clear out literally everyone you can this summer.  I'm confident we can find 4th liners somewhere/anywhere.  Our 4th line isn't what's holding us back.

At the NHL level, Larsson, Girgensons, and Bogo have all only known losing.  In a perfect world, we'd be rid of all of them by October.  Enough already with the mediocre players that have never been on winning teams.

If your argument for keeping a forward is that you like him as a 4th liner, then they have to go. The Sabres' team culture is radioactive right now. Clear out literally everyone you can this summer. I'm confident we can find 4th liners somewhere/anywhere. Our 4th line isn't what's holding us back.

At the NHL level, Larsson, Girgensons, and Bogo have all only known losing. In a perfect world, we'd be rid of all of them by October. Enough already with the mediocre players that have never been on winning teams.

Actually, forward depth on lines 3-4 are a huge part of our problem, and we've had two GMs now say the same thing and as a result we've had three seasons in a row of complete garbage getting caved in for 12 minutes per night guaranteed. Our top six players all had Sabres-career-best scoring at ES this season but you wouldn't know it because they lost at least 20-30 G from the bottom six even just compared to our mediocre bottom six last year.

We cannot take those players for granted and need a concerted effort to beef up scoring behind the Jack and Ryan lines as much as we need anything else

Actually, forward depth on lines 3-4 are a huge part of our problem, and we've had two GMs now say the same thing and as a result we've had three seasons in a row of complete garbage getting caved in for 12 minutes per night guaranteed. Our top six players all had Sabres-career-best scoring at ES this season but you wouldn't know it because they lost at least 20-30 G from the bottom six even just compared to our mediocre bottom six last year.

We cannot take those players for granted and need a concerted effort to beef up scoring behind the Jack and Ryan lines as much as we need anything else

And if you think Larsson and Girgensons are going to be a part of that, you're crazy. They've been here forever and it's not working. Scott Wilson was more impressive last year and he was practically free.

What outside of random speculation makes you think we'll get a healthy Bogosian? His groins, hips, and hamstrings are all made of string cheese.

Some cheeses get better with age.... but I don’t think stringy mozzarella is one of them. Yep, Bogo’s body will still fail him/us :(

If your argument for keeping a forward is that you like him as a 4th liner, then they have to go.  The Sabres' team culture is radioactive right now.  Clear out literally everyone you can this summer.  I'm confident we can find 4th liners somewhere/anywhere.  Our 4th line isn't what's holding us back.

At the NHL level, Larsson, Girgensons, and Bogo have all only known losing.  In a perfect world, we'd be rid of all of them by October.  Enough already with the mediocre players that have never been on winning teams.

I don't by any means think we have to keep Girgs. I just think of the trio of Girgs, Bogo, and Larry, I'd rate Girgs the most "keep-able" given he's got more size, speed, and strength than Larsson (and I kind of like that Latvians root for the Sabres because of Gus). But, it's like arguing about the slimmest fat kid or the tallest midget. All three of these guys can't shoot worth a ###### and have pretty much no chance of beating an NHL goaltender one-on-one.

I do think we need much better production out of our bottom-two lines. The better NHL teams all can roll three or four lines and have scoring threats up-and-down the lineup.

Traded, traded, bought out.  It's time to move on.  We've seen what we've seen.  To be honest Girgensons is the only one that I'd be okay seeing back.  However, when you have chances with someone as talented as Jack Eichel and you still cannot produce, than we know what you are.  You're a bottom six energy forward who lucked into a 20 goal season due to a lack of talent base.  Larsson, it's time to move on from to me.  There is just not enough speed and results.  At 1.4 million in cap we can afford to give another player a chance.  While he is sometimes useful in PK and in the face off circle, there is not enough speed or utility to maximize him.  We can give the spot to a different option.  Bogosian is a useful player, but how much longer can you give a player before it's just time to move on.  He's reached the end of that.  If you can move him, great, if not buy him out.  We need to see other players in that spot to fill those minutes.  

Bogo's contract is absurd given he plays 20 games per season and doesn't produce when healthy. $6 million per year for Glass Bo? Can he even be bought out? ...guess we're stuck with him until he gets hurt in November.

Larsson isn't an NHLer.

I actually kind of like Girgs as a defensive forward. He'd be a better 4th line center than Larsson IMHO.

Yes I agree..Grigs would a be a solid 4th line Center and PKer!!!  Stop trying to make him a top 2 LWer already 

He finishes his checks and is better than his stats...Larson is not as good as his stats and is a negative IMO!!!

Can't JB at least work a Bogo trade for some other team's contract albatross? Maybe find a player whose terrible contract only lasts one season instead of two? Bogo is one of the locker room cancers that should have beeen sent packing a long time ago.

Larsson has been here for five seasons, dating back to the first tank year. He doesn't fit the current speed movement, so it is time that he gets traded.

I don't have any strong opinion on Girgs. Maybe he can still develop into a consistent 30-point producer like we saw briefly during the second tank year?

I’m a bit surprised that 2/3 rds of the voters think Bogo is in the opening day lineup. The guy had hip surgery in Jan and from the sound of the procedure he could have the same type of hip injury that Bo Jackson had. I think there is a pretty good chance he doesn’t pass his physical and is placed on LTIR for the rest of his career here.

He might also agree to a buyout even if injured. Jbot could tell him he is no longer in Buffalo plans and will be sent to the minors for the remainder of his contract. Bogo might agree to get an NHL opportunity elsewhere.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I wonder about Larssons injury. I liked his game with Foligno and Gionta prior to getting hurt and think he can be a serviceable 4 Centre.

But he is slow, has known nothing but losing and was bad last year.

He’s under contract, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him moved out as a throw-in or in a minor deal.

I think Girgs can be a gritty forechecking bottom-sixer who can fill in at centre or wing.

But I also think he - more than any other Sabre - would benefit from a change of scenery.

I wonder about Larssons injury. I liked his game with Foligno and Gionta prior to getting hurt and think he can be a serviceable 4 Centre.

But he is slow, has known nothing but losing and was bad last year.

He’s under contract, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him moved out as a throw-in or in a minor deal.

I think Girgs can be a gritty forechecking bottom-sixer who can fill in at centre or wing.

But I also think he - more than any other Sabre - would benefit from a change of scenery.

We have so many other internal options for our bottom six, it’s time to move on from both Larry and Zemgus Edited by GASabresIUFAN

We have so many other internal options for our bottom six, it’s time to move on from both Larry and Zemgus

The time to move on was last off-season, but both Botterill and Housley ignored years of film and gave everyone a clean slate. Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it, so here we are.

We have so many other internal options for our bottom six, it’s time to move on from both Larry and Zemgus

No, we don't that is the problem.  Maybe, MAYBE, Bailey could be an upgrade over those two.  I'm not sure he is though.  the internal options are sideways moves at best, and downgrades in good likelihood.

No, we don't that is the problem.  Maybe, MAYBE, Bailey could be an upgrade over those two.  I'm not sure he is though.  the internal options are sideways moves at best, and downgrades in good likelihood.

Pure pessimism.

Young players do get better even though that may be hard for Sabres fans to remember.

You might call Evan Rodrigues a AAAA player, but he started last season behind those two and passed them.

25 points in 48 NHL games last year is nothing to sneer at. He had 6 in 30 the year before.

I’m a bit surprised that 2/3 rds of the voters think Bogo is in the opening day lineup. The guy had hip surgery in Jan and from the sound of the procedure he could have the same type of hip injury that Bo Jackson had. I think there is a pretty good chance he doesn’t pass his physical and is placed on LTIR for the rest of his career here.

He might also agree to a buyout even if injured. Jbot could tell him he is no longer in Buffalo plans and will be sent to the minors for the remainder of his contract. Bogo might agree to get an NHL opportunity elsewhere.

Well, speaking only for myself, I didn't give the "fails his physical" option for Bogo serious consideration as I (like everyone else here) have no idea what his physical condition is or how likely he is to pass/fail his physical.

As for the other options, no one is going to trade for him and he's not going to take a buyout.  Why in the world would he do so?  No one is going to give him close to the amount of cash he'd be giving up.

Larsson isn't an NHLer.

This was great! Glass Bo may be the only person who spends more time on the canvas than Glass Joe. 

I would love to get rid of him somehow, I just don't see it happening. It's better for him to play as much as he can, which isn't much and for very long, get injured, and get paid a boatload for it for the next 2 years. I mean, he's done it for pretty much his whole career, it's not going to change now.

Well, speaking only for myself, I didn't give the "fails his physical" option for Bogo serious consideration as I (like everyone else here) have no idea what his physical condition is or how likely he is to pass/fail his physical.

As for the other options, no one is going to trade for him and he's not going to take a buyout.  Why in the world would he do so?  No one is going to give him close to the amount of cash he'd be giving up.

This. Plus, I take the poll questions as where do you think they'll end up, not as where do we want them to end up. If these polls were about where we want them to end up most of this roster would be send over the falls without a barrel.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.