Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

If they lose Tavares their strategy moving forward has to be considerably changed. They go from trying to contend to full rebuild very fast. They'll build around their younger guys like we are now; they won't want RoR

I'm not so sure on this. I don't think Trotz or Lou have any interest in a full rebuild. Barzal was elite from day one (who knows if he'll continue that going forward) and they've got a good stockpile of talent. I think O'Reilly makes a lot of sense for them.

The price to acquire ROR should include 1-2 players you hate to part with.  Otherwise there's no point in making this trade.

Agree. This is where we find out if this is Botterill needing to trade him (culture/locker room problems) or has a deal that improves our team now.

I'm not so sure on this. I don't think Trotz or Lou have any interest in a full rebuild. Barzal was elite from day one (who knows if he'll continue that going forward) and they've got a good stockpile of talent. I think O'Reilly makes a lot of sense for them.

Why wouldn't they have any interest in a rebuild? Granted maybe not a full one, but to build around their young core. Lou just did the same thing in Toronto, and Trotz has a 5 year extension. They're in it for the long haul

Welcome back Hoss!

I too do not think the Isles will be interested in a full rebuild -- but I also think, as I've posted previously, that the Sabres are going to get less for ROR than most here will be satisfied with -- so I don't think the Isles will part with their best young players in trade for ROR.

This is exactly what I think.  It's a difficult thing to admit - that next season we're not going to be very good (again).  I like ROR but I don't think I'm going to like the ROR in 3 years when we're ready to be very good.

I use Colorado as an example of having turn around season without big changes to their roster. This team of ours I believe under performed for the talent we have. Better goaltending and defense could change things as well as a few young guys progressing.

Welcome back Hoss!

I too do not think the Isles will be interested in a full rebuild -- but I also think, as I've posted previously, that the Sabres are going to get less for ROR than most here will be satisfied with -- so I don't think the Isles will part with their best young players in trade for ROR.

Not a full rebuild. But like us RoR doesn't fit their age group

Not a full rebuild. But like us RoR doesn't fit their age group

After Barzal and Tavares their next highest scorers were:

Josh Bailey (28)

Anders Lee (27)

Jordan Eberle (28)

Nick Leddy (27)

Anthony Beauvillier (21)

Brock Nelson (26)

Ryan Pulock (23)

Andrew Ladd (32)

I'd say he fits right into what their timeline is.

After Barzal and Tavares their next highest scorers were:

Josh Bailey (28)

Anders Lee (27)

Jordan Eberle (28)

Nick Leddy (27)

Anthony Beauvillier (21)

Brock Nelson (26)

Ryan Pulock (23)

Andrew Ladd (32)

I'd say he fits right into what their timeline is.

Hmmm guess I pegged them a lot younger. Good call

That Ladd deal is still awful

From Chad DeDominicis

Latest I’m hearing on the #Sabres

-ROR talks continue with STL & MON. Other teams may get more involved after JT.

-Sabres still involved in Patrick Maroon talks

-They reached out to Riley Nash. Not sure it went beyond that.

-Hutton is pretty much a done deal 3yr 12 mil

Also from Jeremy Rutherford reiterated that Robert Thomas would not be part of a ROR Trade.

He did mention Jordan Kyrou or Klim Kostin and the 2019 1st Rounder or a Combination of two out of three could be included.

Here is Corey Pronman write up on Kyrou

19. Jordan Kyrou, RW, St. Louis

Drafted: Second round, 35th overall in 2016

2017-18 team: Sarnia Sting

Kyrou has been excellent this season in the OHL, even getting some looks for Canada’s Olympic team, although he ultimately wasn’t invited. He has dynamic qualities in his game. He’s a great skater and puck handler who can push the pace and make highlight reel rushes. Kyrou’s decision-making used to worry me, but he’s getting better in that regard and his playmaking has impressed me more recently. He’s averaged about an assist per game for the last two years. His shot is solid, as well. His play off the puck can still be better, particularly physically, but with the puck he can change a shift.

Played for the Sting had 94 and 109 Points in subsequent post draft seasons.

Would be AHL Eligible if he does not make the NHL this season.

Here is Klim Kostin Write Up

29. Klim Kostin, LW, St. Louis

Drafted: First round, 31st overall in 2017

2017-18 team: San Antonio Rampage

Kostin’s draft season was derailed by injuries, but he’s looked quite good this season. He had an excellent training camp with the Blues, has been fine — albeit not great — in the AHL and had an excellent world juniors. The things to get excited about are obvious. He’s a big, strong winger with skill who not only can dangle but shows the quality offensive instincts to make plays around him at high speeds and score, too. I worry about his foot speed and his defensive play, and there’s a small question in my brain about how high-end his skill is, but overall I think he’s shown why there was such optimism for him at one point.

Kyrou is by far the better prospect it appears

I also would not include Nylander in this package

I use Colorado as an example of having turn around season without big changes to their roster. This team of ours I believe under performed for the talent we have. Better goaltending and defense could change things as well as a few young guys progressing.

Obviously...

Coyotes aggressively in the mix for free agent left wing James van Riemsdyk and could get decision as early as tonight. Arizona competing with a couple other teams, including the Buffalo Sabres. Would be a HUGE get for the Coyotes if they can pull this off. Likely a 5-year deal.

Per Fox Sports Arizona

And James Mirtle from the Athletic Tweeted Buffalo Pushing Hard, this could be for big money

Coyotes aggressively in the mix for free agent left wing James van Riemsdyk and could get decision as early as tonight. Arizona competing with a couple other teams, including the Buffalo Sabres. Would be a HUGE get for the Coyotes if they can pull this off. Likely a 5-year deal.

Per Fox Sports Arizona

And James Mirtle from the Athletic Tweeted Buffalo Pushing Hard, this could be for big money

Somebody please put me out of my misery. WWWWHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYY  :wallbash:  :wallbash:  :wallbash:

Let’s see if it happens first, but this does not make any sense.

And JVR is a slow skater how does that make you faster on the wings?

It's odd that analytics darling Chayka wants him too. 

Also, I feel like if we sign him for big money and term, we're keeping RoR, no?

I think it’s the exact opposite

Is JVR slow? That makes me actually hate this then

RoR is the same age. And we just got fast Sheary for Eichel. We'd need a center for JVR if we invest that much into him

It's odd that analytics darling Chayka wants him too. 

Also, I feel like if we sign him for big money and term, we're keeping RoR, no?

I mean, he's a good player. It's not like he's trash or anything. But investing heavy money and term into a near-30 winger remains lunacy. 

Or, he flips ROR for purely picks/prospects and uses that money for JVR. (If this happens, please stab me in an eye).

Naturally. But I want everyone here to know I'm ready to jump off the nearest bridge!

Is JVR slow? That makes me actually hate this then

RoR is the same age. And we just got fast Sheary for Eichel. We'd need a center for JVR if we invest that much into him

Yup.

I mean, he's a good player. It's not like he's trash or anything. But investing heavy money and term into a near-30 winger remains lunacy. 

Or, he flips ROR for purely picks/prospects and uses that money for JVR. (If this happens, please stab me in an eye).

Heavy money doesn't bother me, it's the term that would ask me to pass the icicle after you're done with that

btw props to me for spelling icicle right on the first try 

Yup.

God dammit

Now for your next party trick, try ending your sentences with punctuation. :nana:

Baby steps for Charlie. Baby steps

Some dude on reddit claims JVR had the highest expected goal rate out of anyone last year? He of course has nothing to back this up, and I can't find anything. Anyone know where that information is?

Why does this feel like Okposo 2.0 is about to happen? So much for Botterill and saying he doesn't wanna build a team through FA

Exactly.  Okposo and Moulson have both proven that big money deals to players entering their early 30's are no Bueno.

I'm sure JVR is looking for something in the range of 6 years.  That would make him 35 at the tail end.

Moulson has 22 goals and 31 assists in 176 games after he turned 32 and hasn't netted an NHL point in 18 months.

Still giving Okposo the benefit of the doubt after his concussion.  But he's only scored over 20 goals once in the last four years at $7 mil AVV.

In 3-4 years we may have another buyout situation on our hands

Edited by dejeanerret

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.