Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

So why did the Caps win this Cup?

They were strong down the middle, they were tough on defense, and had excellent goaltending.

So where are we? We are getting strong down the middle and getting better on defense. So why are we even considering trading ROR and/or Risto?

Because we don't have excellent goaltending.

They were strong down the middle, they were tough on defense, and had excellent goaltending.

So where are we?  We are getting strong down the middle and getting better on defense.  So why are we even considering trading ROR and/or Risto?

We shouldn't be unless there are issues we don't know about.

Because we don't have excellent goaltending.

Are you recommending trading ROR or Risto for a goaltender? I hope not.

I'd brace for disappointment if you expect us to be in contention for the playoffs.   We lost one of our best scorers, it's possible the goaltender riddle hasn't been solved and we'll be heavily depending on teenagers.  That's not a team poised to gain 30 points in the standings.  

You can't call Mittelstadt and Dahlin in the core. Of course they are the hope for a core in the future - that's why ROR, imo is expendable.  I guess you say it yourself by saying "I think we have a core".  

Our future looks quite amazing but it's just that - the future.

Seriously, if the goaltending situation is not fixed then there is no way we get off the floor. Fix that and this team is at least on its way to better things.

So where are we?  We are getting strong down the middle and getting better on defense.  So why are we even considering trading ROR and/or Risto?

Trading Risto, to me, borders on insanity.

The Knights got deep into the playoffs on effort (hey Ted Nolan), aggressive forechecking (not Alamo) and superb goaltending (except SCF).

A lot of it seemed a will over skill mentality. That comes from the coaching and leadership.

No, that is definitely not something I would recommend. I am just saying that build would not work for us as we do not have excellent goaltending. Far from it actually.

Okay. I'm of the belief that you don't need a Cary Price type goalie. We should look for a Fluery type. Is he elite? No but definitely an upgrade to what we have. By the way his early playoff performance was much better than I think he really is. He could have been had relatively cheaply at one time I believe.

Okay. I'm of the belief that you don't need a Cary Price type goalie. We should look for a Fluery type. Is he elite? No but definitely an upgrade to what we have. By the way his early playoff performance was much better than I think he really is. He could have been had relatively cheaply at one time I believe.

He could have been had by anyone willing to take on his salary.

Am I the last Ullmark fan left? Guy has looked pretty good as a Sabre when called up and is coming off an AHL all Star season. He was drafted and developed and appears to be progressing nicely. What am I missing?

I think Ullmark’s playoff (like Nylander’s) kinda wiped out the good that happened this year in a lot of people’s minds.

In fact, there is a pessimism hanging over all the organization’s kids - from Eichel and Reinhart down to Bailey and Baptiste - that probably isn’t commensurate with normal development curves.

I think the fan base has been told the kids are going to save us going back to Girgensons and Grigorenko and are in a very-much show-me state of mind.

From a more pragmatic point of view, if Ullmark fails, there is no one else.

I think we should keep the talent we have and add more.

I certainly understand what you're saying but if ROR can get me 2 pieces and a chance at a 3rd - then I'd accept that.  We don't have any other good players in his age bracket except Okposo, who's obviously even older.  For me it's just more about bad timing than an indictment on ROR and his ability.  I really like him as a player but I think too much of the roster has to be filled out with prospects to add talent through free agency.  I do not want to try and contend with ROR and Okposo -  I'd rather wait until the timing is right.

Thoughts

1) We can add (and need to add) insurance on goaltending by signing Bernier or similar.  I wouldn't mind getting Grubauer and setting up a competition between Ullmark and Grubauer. Getting Grubauer depends on price and SJ's 1st is out of the question.  A second in 2019 and a medium prospect (Fasching, Bailey) I could live with.

2) I agree wtih Liger that this is the time to start adding to our talent, not moving out key pieces.  

What do we think of the Ristolainen to Edmonton buzz?

Klefbom is speculated as the main piece coming back.

Little older, little smaller, little less talented, little cheaper, little smoother, little more consistent.

Plays a more cerebral game. Left side.

I don’t like it as a one-for-one, but it sounds like the Oilers are coming after Risto and would be adding.

I do like Klefbom (perfect guy to pair with Dahlin) just not as much as Risto, so I guess it depends on the add.

What do we think of the Ristolainen to Edmonton buzz?

Klefbom is speculated as the main piece coming back.

Little older, little smaller, little less talented, little cheaper, little smoother, little more consistent.

Plays a more cerebral game. Left side.

I don’t like it as a one-for-one, but it sounds like the Oilers are coming after Risto and would be adding.

I do like Klefbom (perfect guy to pair with Dahlin) just not as much as Risto, so I guess it depends on the add.

No, we can get a Klefbom by signing DaHaan or Hickey. Why give up Risto who you have locked up at a reasonable rate when you are finally getting him some help?

WKBW’s Bove suggested signing Statsny and moving ROR to Mon for Galchenyuk, Scherbak and Juulson. He justifies this by saying Casey will be our 2nd line center in a few years and then ROR will be a very expensive 3rd line center. He puts the talented Galchenyuk on Jack’s wing and notes that both prospects played in the NHL last season.

It’s an interesting idea. Scherbak and Juulson could also make the Sabres next season and they would certainly help our organizational depth. I might argue that Juulson is on par with Guhle.

The value of the deal would depend on how much Statsny still has in the tank if signed and how long he is signed for.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Other name with some Sabre-related buzz is Noah Hanifin.

Another lefty, with solid size, he’s an excellent skater with the exact skill set necessary for the gap control, puck-movement game required in the modern NHL. Confident with the puck, sometimes overly so.

Comes across to me as an entitled prep-school Masshole, but is buddies with Jack Eichel.

Three NHL seasons already under his belt at age 21 and put up an impressive 10 goals and 32 points last year.

Not clear why he’s on the block, other than the fact he is an RFA and that Carolina is a budget team deep on defence.

One could argue he’s been somewhat sheltered on the Canes, whether that means his numbers are inflated or deflated as a result I guess depends on who you talk to.

No names officially attached from the Sabres end, but people have obviously been connecting the dots to O’Reilly.

Like the Risto/Klefbom deal, I think we are giving up the better player, so it depends on the add. I’m personally not a big fan of Hanifin, but that is mostly related to his personality, because the kid has skills. If you are hoping to make a Seth Jones deal, Hanifin would definitely be a good target.

If they trade Ristolainen for a left handed defenseman then Botterill should be fired on the spot.

We have nobody else worthwhile on the right side. It's not even a given that Dahlin will play the right side yet.

Welcome to hockey heaven, Rasmus Dahlin. I know you're a rookie and you need to adjust to NA ice, but we're going to throw you into the deep end immediately and give you all the tough matchups because Zach Bogosian got hurt in training camp and Casey Nelson couldn't handle the tough minutes in preseason after Bogosian went down. Buckle up, kid.

With all due respect GA, Klefbom is a much better piece than DeHaan or Hickey.

Klefbom for Risto is just musical chairs.  We need to be adding to the roster not subbing player A for lesser player B.  DeHaan and Hickey may be older and not as good as Klefbom, but they don't cost us any assets to acquire and they fill a need now (filling out the top 4).

I certainly understand what you're saying but if ROR can get me 2 pieces and a chance at a 3rd - then I'd accept that.  We don't have any other good players in his age bracket except Okposo, who's obviously even older.  For me it's just more about bad timing than an indictment on ROR and his ability.  I really like him as a player but I think too much of the roster has to be filled out with prospects to add talent through free agency.  I do not want to try and contend with ROR and Okposo -  I'd rather wait until the timing is right.

Yes, and most free agents are going to be older players. And the only way I would trade ROR is if we got younger in the process. I totally agree with your idea on the timing. I'd still go out and sign Vanek but only because he seems cheap and won't be a long term burden financially. Jack needs a talented winger no matter what. 

If they trade Ristolainen for a left handed defenseman then Botterill should be fired on the spot.

We have nobody else worthwhile on the right side. It's not even a given that Dahlin will play the right side yet.

Welcome to hockey heaven, Rasmus Dahlin. I know you're a rookie and you need to adjust to NA ice, but we're going to throw you into the deep end immediately and give you all the tough matchups because Zach Bogosian got hurt in training camp and Casey Nelson couldn't handle the tough minutes in preseason after Bogosian went down. Buckle up, kid.

That's depressing... we still have TWO full years left on Bogosian's toxic contract.  We've already paid SO much, for so little in return, it's mind boggling.    I don't see how we can get rid of him - what team would want him, given his track record?  

Hopefully Dahlin is all that, and we fans can blissfully forget that we're still paying Bogosian to contribute nothing.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.