Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

Even if you get fair value, it always comes back to the huge hole O’Reilly leaves in our roster.

Nothing short of JT would fix it.

I think this discussion has cemented me here if I wasn't already. 

JT + a ROR move, or kick the ROR can down the road (perhaps to a future with a fully-blossomed CM) and be happy with what he brings to the team now. He's not the only core player, but he's the most important trade-able one. You can still accomplish an attitude shift without moving him. 

Even if you get fair value, it always comes back to the huge hole O’Reilly leaves in our roster.

Nothing short of JT would fix it.

At the risk of Blue’s scorn:

Schenn D3 18 points, D4 26

Bennett 26 and 26.

I certainly wouldn’t be paying a ton for him, but he’s still 21. He’s very interesting as a buy-low throw-in.

HELLO FRIEND! As Maya Angelou would say, "When someone shows you who they are, believe them."

Some people give up on young players a season too soon. You hang on a season (or in Ryan Murray's case, several seasons) too long.

HELLO FRIEND! As Maya Angelou would say, "When someone shows you who they are, believe them."

Some people give up on young players a season too soon. You hang on a season (or in Ryan Murray's case, several seasons) too long.

I can't tell if this is for or against Bennett

I can't tell if this is for or against Bennett

Against. His surface numbers don't show anything, and his underlying numbers don't give reason to think he has better to come, and I've never been impressed watching him.

I'm becoming more serious. ROR and Nylander for Gaudreau and Bennett.

Bennett and Nylander are a wash in my eye and you are taking their broken prospect in exchange for your own and you hope you get lucky.

I love Gaudrau, but I don't think he's a good fit on Eichel's wing. Too puck-dominant. I'd happily staple him to Mittelstadt, however.

You are correct. They also got Voracek and a 3 in the Carter deal.

Finding a good comp specifically for Simmonds is hard, not too many guys like him, big, relatively fast, decent skill, good hands, parks in front of the net, will hit, will fight (and win). I think it's fair to say he outperformed expectations at the trade though. Most guys that you think of like him were drafted higher than Simmonds was (61st overall).

For the purposes of this conversation try to think of a player, F or D, with at least 2nd round pedigree who has 2-3 years in the league with decent but not outstanding production and not necessarily straight line progression (Simmonds had 23, 40 and 30 points in 3 full seasons with LA)

Nick Ritchie

Max Domi

Sam Bennett

Brendan Perlini

Andreas Athanasiou

Tyler Bertuzzi maybe?

Not that we will or should try to deal for any of those guys, just throwing names at the wall to approximate sentiment for the player equal to that of Wayne Simmonds on the day he was dealt. Simmonds was more highly regarded then than Bennett would be today regardless of draft status.

Maybe because Tkachuck is more of a known quantity because he played in the NHL at 18 but Brayden Schenn was the 5th overall pick and was killing it. Tkachuck ABSOLUTELY has more value today than Simmonds did on the day he was traded. Schenn would have been a lot closer, he really was supposed to be the plum of that deal, not Simmonds.

Agreed

Sean Couturier says hi

He’s working out with Nino Neiderreiter and Matt Dumba ????

EDIT: Couturier has always been one of my guys. Never had a strong opinion on Nino and I’ve always disliked Dumba. Blind squirrels...

Edited by dudacek

Bennett and Nylander are a wash in my eye and you are taking their broken prospect in exchange for your own and you hope you get lucky.

Hmm, it's definitely a offense for defense style trade.

What if we combine that with Dubinsky(1,850,000mil retained) and Boone Jenner for Fasching and a 3rd in 2019.  After all Dubinsky fell off a truck last year but I'd think he'd still be an effective 3rd line C and Jenner could be Eichel's winger where Gaudreau would be with Mittelstadt and Okposo

I'm also ridding us of Larsson, and Beaulieu

So.....

Jenner - Eichel - Reinhart

Gaudreau - Mitts - Okposo

Bennett - Dubinsky - ERod

Wilson - Girgs - Baptiste

Pommers and Bailey are the extras

Edited by dewookieen

IF O'Reilly gets traded, I think it'll tell us a lot about where Botterill thinks the team is at. Given there's no compelling reason to move him (such as entering the last year of his contract), if Botterill trades him for futures, to me that means he thinks the team won't compete for 3 years.

Potentially, or maybe he just thinks ROR is a non-starter team mentality wise, chemistry/locker room stuff. We just don’t have the intel Botterill does.

I think any O’Reilly trade would come from two things:

Changing the chemistry

Cost-benefit analysis of which piece being moved gets us closer to the cup.

Agreed.

IF O'Reilly gets traded, I think it'll tell us a lot about where Botterill thinks the team is at. Given there's no compelling reason to move him (such as entering the last year of his contract), if Botterill trades him for futures, to me that means he thinks the team won't compete for 3 years.

Or he really is a locker room cancer.

I don't think a competent GM can decide that with two of the highest rated prospects outside of the NHL ready to step in the lineup and one of the best young ones already here.

For what it's worth I really want them to keep ROR. Unless there are things going on behind closed doors in which I say get the best return that will help us today.

Hmm, it's definitely a offense for defense style trade.

What if we combine that with Dubinsky(1,850,000mil retained) and Boone Jenner for Fasching and a 3rd in 2019.  After all Dubinsky fell off a truck last year but I'd think he'd still be an effective 3rd line C and Jenner could be Eichel's winger where Gaudreau would be with Mittelstadt and Okposo

I'm also ridding us of Larsson, and Beaulieu

So.....

Jenner - Eichel - Reinhart

Gaudreau - Mitts - Okposo

Bennett - Dubinsky - ERod

Wilson - Girgs - Baptiste

Pommers and Bailey are the extras

I just don't believe that Fasching has any value at all, the kid was a healthy scratch by Rochester.

No way. Tkachuk got 48 points at 19 and 49 at 20.

Simmonds hadn’t even played an NHL game at Tkachuk’s age.

He was 23 when he was traded and was coming off a 30-point year, though he did score 40 the year before.

It's as close as we'll get to a physical scorer like Simmonds.

Depends on how you define compete. I hope our gm counts that as being able to contend for the cup, and not limping into the playoffs.

If that's the case, we are 2-3 away. And ROR is not part of that picture. Trade him while his value is high, and also when the real money remaining on his contract will be a windfall to an owner worried about cash.

The last two straight years the team picking first went on to make the playoffs the next season.  That includes Toronto two years ago who were DFL.  I'm not betting it, but it still wouldn't shock me if the Sabres make it this coming year.

How did the leafs do it? 

They got lucky having the first pick in a year that was suppose to have a really good player.  Check.

They added two very high end prospects (Nylander and Marner) for their rookie seasons.  We have one (Mitts).  But we also have Jack which is a wayyyyyy better player than they had on their roster. 

They had a high pick from a couple of years ago break out (Kadri).  We could have that in Sam.

Their D was/arguably still is a trainwreck similar to ours.

Big difference is Anderson is a competent goalie they traded for near the draft.  We need a goalie but I really don't think we're that far away from the playoffs.  

Calgary ain't trading Gaudreau.  He put up over a point a game and is 24 years old.  Next highest Flame scored 20 points less than him.  Not gonna happen.

Long discussion on Trading ROR on WGR 550 this AM, shocking that they talked about the Sabres for more than 15 minutes this AM. White agreed with a tweet that ROR for Galchenyuk, Victor Mete and Montreal’s 2018 2nd. And Howard Simon mentioned he is not worried about trading him within the division.

Long discussion on Trading ROR on WGR 550 this AM, shocking that they talked about the Sabres for more than 15 minutes this AM. White agreed with a tweet that ROR for Galchenyuk, Victor Mete and Montreal’s 2018 2nd. And Howard Simon mentioned he is not worried about trading him within the division.

Trading within the division won't suddenly make that other team catch you in the standings.  The sooner this idea of not trading within the division goes away, the better.  I might accept that thought mid-season, but at this time of the year it just gets in the way of building a team properly.  Take what you believe to be the best possible deal, regardless of who the other team is.

Trading within the division won't suddenly make that other team catch you in the standings.  The sooner this idea of not trading within the division goes away, the better.  I might accept that thought mid-season, but at this time of the year it just gets in the way of building a team properly.  Take what you believe to be the best possible deal, regardless of who the other team is.

True, but trading w/in division doesn't necessarily help either. Ottomh: Out Paille. In Lehner, Legwand, Gorges, & Beaulieu. Meh.

Galchenyuck excites but worries me a lot. He only has 2 20+ goal seasons, and his point/games played numbers are all over the place. I'm not sure he's a guy that will ever put it all together

Meanwhile, I'm back to being right about Drouin. Kid ain't

I wouldn't trade ROR, but especially to Montreal where almost anything we'd receive would pale in comparison to what ROR would give Montreal. They remind a bit of the 2010/11 Sabres in that they have a great goalie, some nice pieces, but 0 centers. ROR would give them that and I am not looking to help my rivals. 

Unless MTL's 1st, Galchenyuk, and Mete are all coming our way that is. A center's impact outweighs almost anything they can offer. 

Galchenyuck excites but worries me a lot. He only has 2 20+ goal seasons, and his point/games played numbers are all over the place. I'm not sure he's a guy that will ever put it all together

Meanwhile, I'm back to being right about Drouin. Kid ain't ######

You're right, he isn't, unlike most all of Moe-ray-all's other forwards not named Gallagher. ;)

Give 'em Nylander & a sweetener & put him on Eichel's wing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.