Kim Pegula IN

Eleven

Yes she is.

attachicon.gifsabresorg.PNG

attachicon.gifbillsorg.PNG

Like, literally.

p.s. It's a little strange that she is not listed as an owner of the Bills.

To my ear, the tone of this is part of what I've been talking about. She owns the team(s). As a result, I just presume that she'll be doing whatever she has a mind to do.

The debate about Kim and her credentials is a non-sequitor. To me its about its about what she knows she does well and can she identify talent that can do the things needed according to her and Terry’s vision for those things she may need help with. Talent eval at any level is critical to any successful business as well as two-way trust. Obviously Brandon violated that trust despite his talents in certain areas. It will be interesting to see what her focus will be and who she identified/hires to take care both necessary areas and emphasis areas as Brandon is replaced. That in my mind is what will make her a good owner/ leader. PS On the surface I think she has the chops for it. We shall see. Edited by North Buffalo

Kim isn’t taking over the pastry shop down the road. She’s taking over the one she’s had a hand in operating for seven years.

Ain't no education like OTJ education.

It occurs to me - JBOT and Beane look and act the part of GMs who are also able to serve as senior executive officers in a Pegula-owned operation.

My hope and prayer is that they can do it, and do it exceptionally well.

The debate about Kim and her credentials is a non-sequitor. To me its about its about what she knows she does well and can she identify talent that can do the things needed according to her and Terry’s vision for those things she may need help with. Talent eval at any level is critical to any successful business as well as two-way trust. Obviously Brandon violated that trust despite his talents in certain areas. It will be interesting to see what her focus will be and who she identified/hires to take care both necessary areas and emphasis areas as Brandon is replaced. That in my mind is what will make her a good owner/ leader. PS On the surface I think she has the chops for it. We shall see.

The CEO of Apple doesn’t know how to actually make a phone right?

The CEO of Apple doesn’t know how to actually make a phone right?

A quick look says he's an Ops person, so probably not. Ops is mostly getting widgets out and supply chain stuff. It's entirely likely he hasn't written a line of code since college (and that's only if Industrial Engineering in 1982 including writing some FORTRAN on punch cards).

Funny you mention that. My brother in law had a deal on the table to buy a bakery. He is an accountant and doesn’t bake but went through training so he understood how the operatio worked.

The deal fell apart because he wanted to be a hands-off owner and the franchise demanded he be hands-on.

I know. I feel bad for Gord. (fingers crossed)

To answer your question. Kim isn’t taking over the pastry shop down the road. She’s taking over the one she’s had a hand in operating for seven years.

She's been the owner for seven years, no? Already took it over. Is being named president a promotion?

Yes she is.

attachicon.gifsabresorg.PNG

attachicon.gifbillsorg.PNG

Like, literally.

This is a new arrangement on the hockey side, then, which makes the devil in the details that much more important. Schopp asked Hammy today just what the job of president will entail, and Paul had nothin'.

The previous arrangement was Terry as owner and "overseer," Botterill as GM and so on. Kim went "thataway" when they entered the building.

To my ear, the tone of this is part of what I've been talking about. She owns the team(s). As a result, I just presume that she'll be doing whatever she has a mind to do. 

There's no tone there. Nonsense. It's not enough to say she owns the team, so she can do whatever she wants as president. She's owned it for years. She was always Russ' boss. There has to be more structure. I don't see why the title of president is that important. She can't do all the day to day tasks of being four presidents: Sabres, Bills, PSE and Amerks. Isn't being owner and overseer of four presidents under her sufficient?

Obviously there a million ways of organizing all this, and the Pegulas seem to be trying out one at a time. How many people have they now had come through the doors and when does it start to reflect badly on their judgment?

Stu.

Son of a bi...

Look, it's ridiculous to dismiss her ability based on nothing more than how she ended up there.

It's dangerous to assume she doesn't have the capability to do the job.

She's been involved with the businesses of her husband for years.  Just because she got her start the way she did does not automatically make her (or anyone for that matter) unqualified.

She has the title, let's see what she does.  Based on some of the thing I've read about her and some of the statements she's made in the past I think she's got a good mindset.

I don't think she's going to drag out an old prop plane and replace the jacuzzi's with outboard boat motors.

Is this really a difficult job? Brandon's genius was leveraging a threat to move an NFL franchise to sell tickets for an awful team.

Currently, the NHL team has the first overall selection and is top 2 in the tv ratings in the playoffs they aren't participating in. On the football side, they are coming off the most feel good season in over 15 years. Drafting a top 10 QB with salary cap room next year.

It feels to me that this would work even without a president.

From John Wawrow

As I noted on a few radio shows:

Don’t expect Pegulas to rush in to rush in adding to upper management to either #Bills or #Sabres in the near future. ...

There has so much change to both teams (GMs and coaches), that there’s a fear of disrupting what’s established.

At some point, when the time is right, I expect some adiditions to be made.

There’s also less urgency to add a “president” on the sports side of the teams, because Brandon was mostly handling the business side. ...

At this point, expect the heirarchy to remain with Beane and Botterill reporting and consulting directly with the owners.

Coming to the site this morning I saw this BN headline on the main page.

"

Kim Pegula wielding unprecedented power, faces heavy lift with Bills, Sabres  "

For some reason this headline bugs me.  What is unprecedented about this power?  First of all, she's part of the ownership team already, so she had a heavy lift.  It's more accurate that she's taking on increased responsibilities (rather than having delegated some of those to Brandon).  

"

For some reason this headline bugs me.  What is unprecedented about this power?  First of all, she's part of the ownership team already, so she had a heavy lift.  It's more accurate that she's taking on increased responsibilities (rather than having delegated some of those to Brandon).  

Well, it is unprecedented, I think (at least in our region?), for someone to be the president of an NFL team, an NHL team, and a sports entertainment conglomerate. She has a ton on her plate.

Confession time: I read Bucky's adieu to Brandon. It read strangely -- almost as an early image-rehab piece (i.e., Brandon was once great, lost his way, and hopefully can return to greatness). But that's not my point. A lot of people ask, "So, what's a president do?" Bucky touches on one big part of the job: Getting juiced and connected with the corporate interests of the team's region. As oily and insincere as I found Brandon, I don't think there's any denying that he did a very good job of insinuating himself into those circles. And Bucky raised a fair point about how much time Kim would spend in WNY now that she's the president of the teams. The article still read to me like it was in need to some sentence structure and a hard edit, but he raised some salient points.

"

Isn't being the first female president in the NHL unprecedented in and of itself? Let alone owner and president of an NFL team, as well (one of only two females). I think the headline is fine.

"

I felt the same way. (I'm also now thinking of Daniel Day Lewis as Lincoln: I am the president of the Buffalo Sabres, clothed in immense power!) It's almost like her role was of a figurehead. She oversaw, but now she's going to get her hands dirty.

Well, it is unprecedented, I think (at least in our region?), for someone to be the president of an NFL team, an NHL team, and a sports entertainment conglomerate. She has a ton on her plate.

Confession time: I read Bucky's adieu to Brandon. It read strangely -- almost as an early image-rehab piece (i.e., Brandon was once great, lost his way, and hopefully can return to greatness). But that's not my point. A lot of people ask, "So, what's a president do?" Bucky touches on one big part of the job: Getting juiced and connected with the corporate interests of the team's region. As oily and insincere as I found Brandon, I don't think there's any denying that he did a very good job of insinuating himself into those circles. And Bucky raised a fair point about how much time Kim would spend in WNY now that she's the president of the teams. The article still read to me like it was in need to some sentence structure and a hard edit, but he raised some salient points.

It was clunky for sure. I imagine that his editor said, "We need to put some meat on the bone regarding what happened without diving into salacious details" and Bucky started calling around. Some of the language is so vague you wonder if any source really contributed much. What the story needed was the old school rewrite guy with the hat from The Post. Let that pencil fly!

I know. I know. She's the owner and can do whatever she damn well pleases.

Beyond that bit of wisdom, how do we figure this out? The News mentions today that the Sabres will not be commenting further on Kim's role. I think it's a mistake, because now we have this thread and there will be many different takes. If she's going to be an overarching president of both hockey and business operations, say it. If she's just the next Russ Brandon, say it. I think we deserve to know if Botterill is now reporting to a hockey president.

Instead we have language like this today in the paper (I did the bolding of course), language which I think is misleading, but I can't know for sure because the Sabres won't confirm anything:

Kim Pegula is blazing new territory in taking over as president of both the Bills and Sabres and faces a huge task in being the hands-on overseer of both franchises.

In the wake of Russ Brandon's resignation from Pegula Sports and Entertainment Tuesday, Pegula now is one of only two women in the NFL with full control of the day-to-day management of a team.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/05/02/kim-pegula-wielding-unprecedented-power-faces-heavy-lifting-with-bills-sabres/

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.