Kim Pegula IN

Eleven

I know. I know. She's the owner and can do whatever she damn well pleases.

Beyond that bit of wisdom, how do we figure this out? The News mentions today that the Sabres will not be commenting further on Kim's role. I think it's a mistake, because now we have this thread and there will be many different takes. If she's going to be an overarching president of both hockey and business operations, say it. If she's just the next Russ Brandon, say it. I think we deserve to know if Botterill is now reporting to a hockey president.

Instead we have language like this today in the paper (I did the bolding of course), language which I think is misleading, but I can't know for sure because the Sabres won't confirm anything:

http://buffalonews.com/2018/05/02/kim-pegula-wielding-unprecedented-power-faces-heavy-lifting-with-bills-sabres/

Why do you think "we have a right to know"? Because we're fans on a message board? Because we buy tickets to sporting events? They own the teams and we might like to know but I don't believe I have a right to know. I have a right to not be a fan and a right not to buy tickets but as owners they don't really owe me the information you're anxious to have.

Because he doesn't feckin' know what the team president does.

Speaking of obtuse...

I think you know that sports teams can have two kinds of presidents. Briefly, the Sabres had Ted Black and Pat LaFontaine. Their roles were enormously different. Maybe Paul didn't answer because like the rest of us, we don't know what kind of president Kim is going to be.

I assume she's Ted Black and not Pat LaFontaine, but the Sabres won't say. Meanwhile, things are being written along the lines of, "Kim faces heavy lift with Bills and Sabres." Well, not really. The business sides of both teams seem to be doing good to great (Sabres; Bills). She faces a heavy lift if she's going to be involved in the on-ice and on-field products, because both teams have been mediocre to bad for so long.

Why do you think "we have a right to know"? Because we're fans on a message board? Because we buy tickets to sporting events? They own the teams and we might like to know but I don't believe I have a right to know. I have a right to not be a fan and a right not to buy tickets but as owners they don't really owe me the information you're anxious to have.

"Deserve" to know, not "right." I can argue we have a right to know; "deserve" is a slam dunk.

What are the Buffalo Sabres hiding?

Dude. There has been NO implication that she’s to be a president like Lafontaine was. That position evaporated when he was fired. She’s replacing a president whose job description was all business.

Seriously.

Wasn't the whole Brandon schtick that he meddled behind the scenes though? So it'd be a natural continuity of that theme. Whether it has any basis in reality or not

Dude. There has been NO implication that she’s to be a president like Lafontaine was. That position evaporated when he was fired. She’s replacing a president whose job description was all business.

Seriously.

So one of the most powerful women in sports who doesn't have much power? OK.

Fair enough. I think I'm railing more against some fans and a lot of media who are misrepresenting her new role.

Delayed reaction: Smell, aren't you the one who posted the Sabres' organization chart as proof that Kim as president is above Botterill? (I'm not offering this as evidence that Kim is a hockey president; I think they'd be smart to remove Botterill from the executive listing and list him solely in the hockey department.

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/team/staff

Edited by PASabreFan

Fair enough. I think I'm railing more against some fans and a lot of media who are misrepresenting her new role.

Delayed reaction: Smell, aren't you the one who posted the Sabres' organization chart as proof that Kim as president is above Botterill? (I'm not offering this as evidence that Kim is a hockey president; I think they'd be smart to remove Botterill from the executive listing and list him solely in the hockey department. https://www.nhl.com/sabres/team/staff.)

I think everybody just got fired, or they are on to you, PA.  That link is dead.

Speaking of obtuse...

I think you know that sports teams can have two kinds of presidents. Briefly, the Sabres had Ted Black and Pat LaFontaine. Their roles were enormously different. Maybe Paul didn't answer because like the rest of us, we don't know what kind of president Kim is going to be.

I assume she's Ted Black and not Pat LaFontaine, but the Sabres won't say. Meanwhile, things are being written along the lines of, "Kim faces heavy lift with Bills and Sabres." Well, not really. The business sides of both teams seem to be doing good to great (Sabres; Bills). She faces a heavy lift if she's going to be involved in the on-ice and on-field products, because both teams have been mediocre to bad for so long.

"Deserve" to know, not "right." I can argue we have a right to know; "deserve" is a slam dunk.

What are the Buffalo Sabres hiding?

Why is it a slam dunk? What gives us the position of even deserving to know the internal affairs of a/ business?

Well, it is unprecedented, I think (at least in our region?), for someone to be the president of an NFL team, an NHL team, and a sports entertainment conglomerate. She has a ton on her plate.

Confession time: I read Bucky's adieu to Brandon. It read strangely -- almost as an early image-rehab piece (i.e., Brandon was once great, lost his way, and hopefully can return to greatness). But that's not my point. A lot of people ask, "So, what's a president do?" Bucky touches on one big part of the job: Getting juiced and connected with the corporate interests of the team's region. As oily and insincere as I found Brandon, I don't think there's any denying that he did a very good job of insinuating himself into those circles. And Bucky raised a fair point about how much time Kim would spend in WNY now that she's the president of the teams. The article still read to me like it was in need to some sentence structure and a hard edit, but he raised some salient points.

Okay.  I guess I just read it as there are already women owners and such, so it's not ground breaking.  She does have a ton on her plate.

Isn't being the first female president in the NHL unprecedented in and of itself? Let alone owner and president of an NFL team, as well (one of only two females). I think the headline is fine.

Hmm, I thought I had remembered hearing of more.  I honestly didn't go looking around.  

The headline just felt somehow insulting to Kim Pegula, I don't know why.  I appreciate the insight from both of you and it's changed my perception of it.

Part of me just hates calling out things like sex or skin color or things that in my view really don't matter to what a person is capable of doing.  I feel it's like arguing over red or green flannel.

I think everybody just got fired, or they are on to you, PA.  That link is dead.

Fixed.

Why is it a slam dunk? What gives us the position of even deserving to know the internal affairs of a/ business?

I think you're exaggerating a little. I don't want to look into the books. I just want to know if Kim is president of hockey operations or president of business operations or both. One creates the product, the other sells it. It's a huge distinction.

I've always thought of sports teams not so much as businesses but as public entities. I dunno. I figure the fans of the Yankees deserve to know more about their business than consumers of Kit Kat candy bars deserve to know about Hershey. For one thing, taxpayers helped build that arena downtown. They're the Buffalo Sabres for crying out loud. It's right in the name.

Wasn't the whole Brandon schtick that he meddled behind the scenes though? So it'd be a natural continuity of that theme. Whether it has any basis in reality or not

That was a function and product of Brandon’s personality/persona, not the position he held.

Delayed reaction: Smell, aren't you the one who posted the Sabres' organization chart as proof that Kim as president is above Botterill? (I'm not offering this as evidence that Kim is a hockey president; I think they'd be smart to remove Botterill from the executive listing and list him solely in the hockey department.

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/team/staff

She’s the president of the franchise. That’s plenty powerful, nah?

I did post screenshots showing that she was organizationally above the 2 GMs, yes. That doesn’t mean her job descriptions have a blessed thing to do with hockey or football matters.

That was a function and product of Brandon’s personality/persona, not the position he held.

She’s the president of the franchise. That’s plenty powerful, nah?

I did post screenshots showing that she was organizationally above the 2 GMs, yes. That doesn’t mean her job descriptions have a blessed thing to do with hockey or football matters.

That's the thing. We don't know that she's president of the franchise. Russ wasn't, really. He was president of the business side. If Kim is indeed president of the franchise then her job description necessarily has something to do with hockey.

How powerful of a president is she if she can't tell Botterill that he has to do something about Phil after a 2-11-4 start this fall?

That's the thing. We don't know that she's president of the franchise. Russ wasn't, really. He was president of the business side. If Kim is indeed president of the franchise then her job description necessarily has something to do with hockey.

How powerful of a president is she if she can't tell Botterill that he has to do something about Phil after a 2-11-4 start this fall?

I dont think she works that way... she and Terry consult and then she will execute. I get a sense that she gathers info and may check in with outside experts when she feels she needs. But she doesnt do anything in a vacuum. Though her decisions are final, she doesnt work by fiat.

I think you're rooting around for a truffle that isn't there.

I checked the website again: Owner and President. She's the president of the team.

I think if you own and are the president of a hockey team, then, um -- yeah. Your job has something to do with hockey. You own and preside over a club that plays hockey.

Hockey hockey hockey.

Whether she's president or not, I think Terry and Kim would not be shy about talking to JBOT about major performance issues with the club and what might be done to resolve them.

I'll leave this here, too.

What horsesh1t this is.

Neither you nor I have any earthly idea of how thin the edge of the razor is (and how brutally sharp it is) that women must stand upon (with grace! with poise! with resolve! but not too much! hey - resting b1tch face! Black Widow!) in order to make it, be respected in a wide variety of businesses and industries.

Honestly.

And speaking again of Bucky, know what I find interesting? Some of his worst content regarding Kim appears to have been taken down from TBN servers. I can't find it anywhere. It was published in September 2014. I remember the key words he used: She's a controlling personality. Some Sabres brass had become wary of her. She's not as sweet as she seems.

I can't find that article on any TBN platform. It pops up being quoted on a few blogs after a Google search, with hyperlinks that yield error messages. I reckon it's been scrubbed from TBN archives, in recognition of how shameful it was to have published it.

I'm not here to lionize my former secret girlfriend Kim Pegula. But I cannot abide the sexist, borderline misogynistic manner in which she's being questioned and criticized by some.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.