Kim Pegula IN

Eleven

Fixed.

I think you're exaggerating a little. I don't want to look into the books. I just want to know if Kim is president of hockey operations or president of business operations or both. One creates the product, the other sells it. It's a huge distinction.

I've always thought of sports teams not so much as businesses but as public entities. I dunno. I figure the fans of the Yankees deserve to know more about their business than consumers of Kit Kat candy bars deserve to know about Hershey. For one thing, taxpayers helped build that arena downtown. They're the Buffalo Sabres for crying out loud. It's right in the name.

Sorry no exaggeration. What business is it of ours? If they want to tell us these specifics then fine but they don't owe us that nor is it our "right" to know it and I don't think we even deserve it from them. Beginning to wonder if you just have a problem with the Pegulas and female Pegulas particularly. Maybe you are just are stirring the pot.

Upthread, I'd speculated that Bucky's sexist take down of Kim Pegula from 2014 had been scrubbed by TBN.

Maybe they were making way for something even more transparently sexist:

post-760-0-56332400-1525448314_thumb.png

SAY WHAT YOU WILL about Russ Brandon, but at least he paid his dues and didn't shortcut his way to the top of the mountain by sleeping with an unremarkable oilman.

Never change, Bucky. But do, please, GTFO.

Nothing I’ve seen in the aftermath of Brandon has changed the perception that the investment he made to climb the ranks consisted largely of trading favours and gladhanding the right people, particularly an apparently fragile old billionaire.

I don’t believe his career with the Bills, or in sports, was appreciably longer than Kim Pegula’s prior to being given the reins.

Upthread, I'd speculated that Bucky's sexist take down of Kim Pegula from 2014 had been scrubbed by TBN.

attachicon.gifsaywhatyouwill.PNG

SAY WHAT YOU WILL about Russ Brandon, but at least he paid his dues and didn't shortcut his way to the top of the mountain by sleeping with an unremarkable oilman.

Oh jeez. Off the rails. I often wonder when people do this kind of thing, if the invented thought isn't what that person is thinking. It's... oddly specific.

Nothing I’ve seen in the aftermath of Brandon has changed the perception that the investment he made to climb the ranks consisted largely of trading favours and gladhanding the right people, particularly an apparently fragile old billionaire.

I don’t believe his career with the Bills, or in sports, was appreciably longer than Kim Pegula’s prior to being given the reins.

I think your timeline is way off. Russ was working for the Bills in 97-98, selling suites to try and save the team. And he worked in sports before that.

My timeline is he started with the Bills in the late 90s and became the boss when Donahoe was canned in the mid-2000s.

Kim became the president after seven years with the team, Russ about 8?

I know Russ did some time in baseball prior to the Bills, just as Kim did some time with East Resources prior to Pegula Sports and Entertainment.

What am I missing?

Oh jeez. Off the rails. I often wonder when people do this kind of thing, if the invented thought isn't what that person is thinking. It's... oddly specific.

There are rails here, and the track being laid charts a path of progress. The work is uneven and imperfect, but worthwhile. Those who refuse to get on board get left behind -- standing in a field, yelling at clouds. 

Asinine.

As for this, I submit that it comes of being a careful student of human behaviour (with all of the attendant foibles) and having an imagination.

attachicon.gifsaywhatyouwill.PNG

So, if I am reading that correctly.  This is the Buffalo News, tweeting a Bucky Gleason thought?

Is that right?

I mean, just wow.

My timeline is he started with the Bills in the late 90s and became the boss when Donahoe was canned in the mid-2000s.

Kim became the president after seven years with the team, Russ about 8?

I know Russ did some time in baseball prior to the Bills, just as Kim did some time with East Resources prior to Pegula Sports and Entertainment.

What am I missing?

I think I misread your post. Sorry.

I’m not entirely sure. It’s a sub-account Tweeting and tagging Bucky. It might actually be Bucky cross-Tweeting himself.

Whatever the hell that is... it should not be... right?

I found it repulsive such a statement would be made.  All the grief Terry got when he said something about the BN not liking the Sabres... perhaps there's something there and we've been living through it.  That kind of tweet certainly makes it appear that Brandon had high favor with the BN.  Sad.

Repulsive? Really? Lots of reading-into going on here as well.

Are you guys suggesting Kim "climbed the ranks" of professional sports in the same way Russ did? One piece that's missing here is exactly what has Kim done at the Sabres since her husband bought the team? They still live in Florida. There's a question as to whether they will have to move to Buffalo so Kim can be a real live president of at least four major entities. She's been doing video chatting with PSE folks, it was reported.

I think some might be suggesting she's done this day to day apprenticeship of sorts and now she's finally ready to step in. That doesn't seem quite right. She "pops in" when they're in town, it sounds like. (This analysis ignores whether she's even done a good job overseeing the business side. See burger, turd; ticket increase letter on Fan Appreciation Day; poor arena presentation; questionable fan relations; etc.)

Listen. I have zero problem with a woman owning a sports team and making herself president and managing the business in a hands-on way, although it's a pretty clunky structure to have. I have a huge problem with anyone taking on the role of hockey president with no qualifications to speak of. At least Terry coached his kid's squirt team in Olean in the 80s.

Taro's still waiting for that faceoff in the Buffalo end to continue Game 6, and I'm still waiting to hear clarification from the Sabres on her role. I guess I'll have to wait and see if she's at the draft table and on stage with Dahlin. That would be a clue.

How long did the Pegulas know? I can't say for certain, but my information suggests maybe for a few weeks. That could be directly attributed to the fact the Pegulas live in Florida for tax/residency requirements and aren't in their Western New York offices every day. Employees have noted to me that they hope Kim Pegula's becoming president of the teams will mean she's around more.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/05/04/you-asked-we-answered-is-brandons-resignation-tied-to-metoo/?utm_medium=more_stories

Repulsive? Really? Lots of reading-into going on here as well.

Are you guys suggesting Kim "climbed the ranks" of professional sports in the same way Russ did? One piece that's missing here is exactly what has Kim done at the Sabres since her husband bought the team? They still live in Florida. There's a question as to whether they will have to move to Buffalo so Kim can be a real live president of at least four major entities. She's been doing video chatting with PSE folks, it was reported.

I think some might be suggesting she's done this day to day apprenticeship of sorts and now she's finally ready to step in. That doesn't seem quite right. She "pops in" when they're in town, it sounds like. (This analysis ignores whether she's even done a good job overseeing the business side. See burger, turd; ticket increase letter on Fan Appreciation Day; poor arena presentation; questionable fan relations; etc.)

Listen. I have zero problem with a woman owning a sports team and making herself president and managing the business in a hands-on way, although it's a pretty clunky structure to have. I have a huge problem with anyone taking on the role of hockey president with no qualifications to speak of. At least Terry coached his kid's squirt team in Olean in the 80s.

Taro's still waiting for that faceoff in the Buffalo end to continue Game 6, and I'm still waiting to hear clarification from the Sabres on her role. I guess I'll have to wait and see if she's at the draft table and on stage with Dahlin. That would be a clue.

I’m unsure of Kim’s precise experience to date.

I’m sure she has material experience in business administration.

I’m unsure how she’ll fare as president of the Sabres and Bills.

I am sure she co-owns the teams.

I’m sure she’s president of the teams — not president of business nor president of hockey (football) ops.

I’m confident that JBOT has principal responsibility for hockey ops, and Beane for football ops.

I am sure those 2 GMs will work collaboratively with their president, who will have high level input on hockey/football matters, as will owner and CEO Terry.

I am sure that success hinges on how well JBOT and Beane can do their jobs. I am optimistic in that regard.

I think bias is revealed by saying Kim’s husband bought the teams.

I've seen PA absolutely shred Terry countless times since he's bought the team. There is no reason to believe that if Terry had been named president, that post would read any differently. There's no reason to believe we wouldn't have a 3 page thread (at least) discussing his lack of qualifications for the job. We've already angrily discussed the possibility of Terry meddling despite having questionable abilities hundreds of times. Those posts have often been far more accusatory, far more rude, with far more stereotypes (of the old white republican oil guy nature) than what PA just said there.

Read any newspaper headline that reported on Pegula buying the team. Read the discussion that took place here before, during, and after. Watch the introductory press conference. "Lindy ain't goin anywhere." Was that press conference equally split between Kim and Terry?  Finding a "bias" in the way PA phrased that when noting all of this history, and the fact that Terry is the one that became the billionaire business owner on a path that started before he ever met her, is the thing that doesn't advance discussions like this IMO. I try to get on board with all of that stuff, but the dubious nature and application and usefulness of diagnosing societal issues, of 'implicit bias', continue to make me raise my eyebrows.

IF there's bias in what PA said, then what tangible effect on reality is that post having? What is the problem with it? How does it hurt Kim and women? Why is it useful to point out? How should it have been phrased and how would phrasing it that make the world a remotely different place? "When her husband bought the team WITH KIMS PERMISSION AFTER ALL, " ?

Would we talk about this at all if it wasn't Kim? Well, we've had hundreds and hundreds of pages questioning Brandon's ability and role to play in the dreariness of Buffalo sports, and he "resigned" and was immediately replaced by someone who took on broadly the same title, and we have a gap in our knowledge of what her day-to-day responsibilities will be. The exact same things are going to be said by the exact same people, especially given their history of posting on the subjects of team owners and presidents, regardless of whether that role was taken by a female or a male. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

I've seen PA absolutely shred Terry countless times since he's bought the team. There is no reason to believe that if Terry had been named president, that post would read any differently. There's no reason to believe we wouldn't have a 3 page thread (at least) discussing his lack of qualifications for the job. We've already angrily discussed the possibility of Terry meddling despite having questionable abilities hundreds of times. Those posts have often been far more accusatory, far more rude, with far more stereotypes (of the old white republican oil guy nature) than what PA just said there.

Read any newspaper headline that reported on Pegula buying the team. Read the discussion that took place here before, during, and after. Watch the introductory press conference. "Lindy ain't goin anywhere." Was that press conference equally split between Kim and Terry?  Finding a "bias" in the way PA phrased that when noting all of this history, and the fact that Terry is the one that became the billionaire business owner on a path that started before he ever met her, is the thing that doesn't advance discussions like this IMO. I try to get on board with all of that stuff, but the dubious nature and application and usefulness of diagnosing societal issues, of 'implicit bias', continue to make me raise my eyebrows.

IF there's bias in what PA said, then what tangible effect on reality is that post having? What is the problem with it? How does it hurt Kim and women? Why is it useful to point out? How should it have been phrased and how would phrasing it that make the world a remotely different place? "When her husband bought the team WITH KIMS PERMISSION AFTER ALL, " ?

Would we talk about this at all if it wasn't Kim? Well, we've had hundreds and hundreds of pages questioning Brandon's ability and role to play in the dreariness of Buffalo sports, and he "resigned" and was immediately replaced by someone who took on broadly the same title, and we have a gap in our knowledge of what her day-to-day responsibilities will be. The exact same things are going to be said by the exact same people, especially given their history of posting on the subjects of team owners and presidents, regardless of whether that role was taken by a female or a male. 

Why do you hate women?

That’s a good post. I’m on a mobile - can’t reply at length.

I’ve touched on plenty of material to substantiate my take that part of what’s at play is a discomfort with a lady taking the reins. And I’ll stand by that.

One thing: The old saw about she’s here because “her husband bought the team” is contrary not only to basic concepts of he marital estate (I ain’t litigating it), fuzzier and less legal but nonetheless transcendent concepts surrounding marriage covenants, it’s also a jab at Kim by virtue of her status as Terry’s wife and a woman. I won’t abide it.

That’s a good post. I’m on a mobile - can’t reply at length.

I’ve touched on plenty of material to substantiate my take that part of what’s at play is a discomfort with a lady taking the reins. And I’ll stand by that.

One thing: The old saw about she’s here because “her husband bought the team” is contrary not only to basic concepts of he marital estate (I ain’t litigating it), fuzzier and less legal but nonetheless transcendent concepts surrounding marriage covenants, it’s also a jab at Kim by virtue of her status as Terry’s wife and a woman. I won’t abide it.

Well, you might have a super-technical legal argument that Kim bought the Buffalo Sabres too. And she's surely listed as the owner -- as you pointed out, she's NOT listed as owner of the Bills, so what do we make of that? Who's the oink oink over at One Bills Drive? http://www.buffalobills.com/about-us/front-office.html

But there is absolutely nothing wrong with saying that Kim's husband bought the team. To see that as evidence of sexism is to see sexism everywhere, and that does no service to women. At first I was unsure if I was right to question your take on Brandon. I decided to dismiss it as message board rumor mongering. I am glad I did. On this matter, you have ZERO credibility. I know that for a fact based on what you're accusing me of, baselessly.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and say it's not malicious. You have a wife and a daughter (at least one) and you're a super-sensitive protector in these matters.

Finally, you know me well enough. I would LOVE to go back in time and let this "lady" stand in for Terry and make all the hockey decisions he made -- whether to keep Darcy and Lindy; whether to go on a spending spree that first summer; whether to tank; whether to hire LaFontaine and so on.

Have we had enough? I have.

I mentioned upthread that it was weird that she’s not listed as an owner of the Bills.

Days gone by, she was patently a Bills owner and not a Sabres owner. Nah?

Anyhoo. You hafta realize that a significant part of why I engage is because I enjoy it as an exercise. Sparring.

(Yin to my Yang?)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you might have a super-technical legal argument that Kim bought the Buffalo Sabres too. And she's surely listed as the owner -- as you pointed out, she's NOT listed as owner of the Bills, so what do we make of that? Who's the oink oink over at One Bills Drive? http://www.buffalobills.com/about-us/front-office.html

But there is absolutely nothing wrong with saying that Kim's husband bought the team. To see that as evidence of sexism is to see sexism everywhere, and that does no service to women. At first I was unsure if I was right to question your take on Brandon. I decided to dismiss it as message board rumor mongering. I am glad I did. On this matter, you have ZERO credibility. I know that for a fact based on what you're accusing me of, baselessly.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and say it's not malicious. You have a wife and a daughter (at least one) and you're a super-sensitive protector in these matters.

Finally, you know me well enough. I would LOVE to go back in time and let this "lady" stand in for Terry and make all the hockey decisions he made -- whether to keep Darcy and Lindy; whether to go on a spending spree that first summer; whether to tank; whether to hire LaFontaine and so on.

Have we had enough? I have.

She IS listed as owner.

At first I was unsure if I was right to question your take on Brandon. I decided to dismiss it as message board rumor mongering. I am glad I did. On this matter, you have ZERO credibility. I know that for a fact based on what you're accusing me of, baselessly.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and say it's not malicious

I read this rant on a mobile when it posted and sorta glossed it. Chz's reply prompted me to look at it again.

It's a couple of weeks late, but, yeah - kindly sod off with that nonsense.

Anyone who chooses to believe that Russ Brandon is a decent guy who got done dirty by some PC office sex police is living in a house of illusion -- which, as the saying goes ... (is cheap to build, drafty to live in).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.