TSN: Sabres 2018 Game Plan

WildCard

They are virtually identical offensively, and Brodin is slightly better at defense. I have no reason to believe we wouldn't think just the opposite had we traded for Brodin rather than Scandella last summer, because that's what we fans do.

But we didn't, because the price was higher for Brodin than it was for Scandella.

Brodin is also on a better team offensively so his offensive numbers were easier to achieve.

I'd like to be better than Minnesota.

Agreed. Brodin is okay but the step down to Scandella is minimal in my mind. I'd rather build depth. McCabe could be as good as brodin this year.

I'm starting to think offense is the be all of hockey. It isn't like football, the other team doesn't have to get a chance. If your offense is good and supported defensively (five players attack) you can play 40% of the game in the offensive zone. 40% in the neutral and 20 in your own end.

Edited by Skurk Liger

Brodin is also on a better team offensively so his offensive numbers were easier to achieve.

Well that actually pulls them equal, because 25 points in 68 games last year and 21 in 73 this year are both better than what Scandella has ever done, despite Brodin generally getting more shutdown type minutes. 

Can you imagine some of those Minnesota teams with a Jack Eichel up front of what they had, and Casey Mittelstadt heading into the start of his career?

And they were still not-being-in-Chicago's-division away from a couple Western Conference Finals IMO.

I have no interest in bringing in Brodin, but his placement on their D roster when their D has been one of the best of the last 7-8 years is not why they've not gotten over the hump, it's the only thing that kept them winning playoff games rather than being the 2011-12 Buffalo Sabres.

I don't think Brodin specifically was their problem, rather an over-reliance on one-dimensional players, of which Brodin was one. I hope that makes sense. As has sort of been discussed, Brodin and Scandella are redundant (and yes, I'd rather have Brodin) and probably limiting from a team perspective.

I don't think Brodin specifically was their problem, rather an over-reliance on one-dimensional players, of which Brodin was one. I hope that makes sense. As has sort of been discussed, Brodin and Scandella are redundant (and yes, I'd rather have Brodin) and probably limiting from a team perspective.

I wish we had gotten one more offseason of Fletcher though, I could totally see him identify this problem and seek to move out a guy like Coyle, who would look great next to or behind ROR in the lineup, for a similar return that we've been able to give them in trades in years past. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

Why trade for anyone when we may be able to sign DeHaan?

I look at our D as Scandella, Risto and Dahlin as 3/4 of a top 4. Sign DeHaan and he is the 4th.

In two years when Guhle or Pilut is ready for the top 4, you let the 30 year old Scandella walk as an UFA. The top 4 then is Dahlin, Risto, DeHaan and Guhle/Pilut.

Why trade for anyone when we may be able to sign DeHaan?

I look at our D as Scandella, Risto and Dahlin as 3/4 of a top 4. Sign DeHaan and he is the 4th.

In two years when Guhle or Pilut is ready for the top 4, you let the 30 year old Scandella walk as an UFA. The top 4 then is Dahlin, Risto, DeHaan and Guhle/Pilut.

Count me in on a reasonable deal for De Haan. 

Count me in on a reasonable deal for De Haan.

The Sabres have so few good tradeable assets and most if not all are essential to the long term success of the team. I’m just don’t see us making any major trades. We also need to stop trading our futures. Our 32 pick needs to be kept. Nylander looks to be going down the Grigorenko path, but by the accounts I’ve read the kid is a hard worker and I’m willing that type of kid time to develop. Not every good players blossoms at 20. Some don’t hit their stride until there 23-24. Considering we forced him into the AHL to early and he was injured much of last season, we need to be more patient. The talent is there.

That said, I’m worried about the goaltending and if Jbot moves 32 or the SJ first for a proven goalie I won’t be to upset

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

The Sabres have so few good tradeable assets and most if not all are essential to the long term success of the team. I’m just don’t see us making any major trades. We also need to stop trading our futures. Our 32 pick needs to be kept. Nylander looks to be going down the Grigorenko path, but by the accounts I’ve read the kid is a hard worker and I’m willing that type of kid time to develop. Not every good players blossoms at 20. Some don’t hit their stride until there 23-24. Considering we forced him into the AHL to early and he was injured much of last season, we need to be more patient. The talent is there.

That said, I’m worried about the goaltending and if Jbot moves 32 or the SJ first for a proven goalie I won’t be to upset

I don't necessarily want to make major trades either, my last few posts were all criticism of wookie's player value, not proposing actual trades I think we should do.

There are Risto/Reinhart/ROR trades out there though that wouldn't bother me, and I wouldn't be shocked if one happened. And I would like to make a move for a goalie.

This is a good description of Nylander. He did not look out of place in his three games with the Sabres, however when he returned to Rochester he lapsed into his old ways and disappeared. With Olofsson and Asplund most likely reporting to Rochester next year, it would be interesting to see how he does on a line with them. Then there is the slight chance with the lack of wingers on the Sabres, he makes the team with a good training camp as unlikely as this maybe. As his ELC does not start until this season, as his contract did slide for two years, I would give him another year or two to develop.

Of course if he needs to be included in a trade, by all means Jason make the deal.

Montreal Fans are suggesting Pacioretty and a 2nd for ROR, not happening

Choking on that one. The previous post exchanging the 2nd for their 3rd overall has me more than excited but I'm sure Montreal is far less excited about that. I'm not for trading ROR unless it's for something I'm not expecting to be offered

I want to give Nylander another year. There's just so much talent there.

I think he'll be given time, even though Murray drafted him, since he's still on his ELC and he's dirt cheap. Barring some GM offering more for him than GMJB thinks he worth and given his lackluster performance since he's been drafted, I don't see that happening. There's plenty of more expensive dead wood for him to worry about replacing to upgrade the roster before him. I imagine he has 2 years before they have to worry about him needing to piss or get off the pot.

I want to give Nylander another year. There's just so much talent there.

Serious question:  what is this based on? 

His numbers are not impressive at any level:  http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=187435

He had one respectable year in juniors -- but even that year he was 31st in the OHL in goals and 19th in points (a solid 41 points behind Marner that year, btw).

Otherwise, he's had 2 awful-to-lousy AHL seasons and, in the best chance he's had to shine in his career, was completely ineffective in the AHL playoffs and got dropped to the 4th line.

If they can get a good prospect or a low 1st or high 2nd-round pick this year for him, they should do so IMHO.

His numbers are not impressive at any level:  http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=187435

He had one respectable year in juniors -- but even that year he was 31st in the OHL in goals and 19th in points (a solid 41 points behind Marner that year, btw).

Otherwise, he's had 2 awful-to-lousy AHL seasons and, in the best chance he's had to shine in his career, was completely ineffective in the AHL playoffs and got dropped to the 4th line.

If they can get a good prospect or a low 1st or high 2nd-round pick this year for him, they should do so IMHO.

I was advocating for a Nylander trade last summer, while he still had some value due to his age and talent... that ship has sailed, and they'd be lucky to get a 2nd round pick for him at this point.     They longer they wait, the less valuable he becomes.   At this point they're probably better off just keeping around and hope he develops... but I'd be surprised if he makes the Sabres roster out of training camp. 

I think he was actually benched for a game, not just sent to the 4th line.

I don’t want to get in the habit of defending Nylander because he is not my kind of player.

But his skill level (skating, stickhandling, shot) is very high.

Those OHL numbers were put up as a 17-year old rookie.

He’s been a national team standout for Sweden putting up 28 points in 21 WJC games as a 17, 18 and 19-year-old.

Doesn’t change the fact he’s been a crappy teenage pro.

But the skill is there.

Edited by dudacek

I don’t want to get in the habit of defending Nylander because he is not my kind of player.

But his skill level (skating, stickhandling, shot) is very high.

Those OHL numbers were put up as a 17-year old rookie.

He’s been a national team standout for Sweden putting up 28 points in 21 WJC games as a 17, 18 and 19-year-old.

Doesn’t change the fact he’s been a crappy teenage pro.

But the skill is there.

All of this.

He is looking more and more like a bust.  But there is some real skill there.  His wrist shot is world class.  He has really good stickhandling.  But we all know the negatives about his game. 

If all I'm getting is a mid/late round 2nd, I think I still hang on to him.

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/sabres/bove-another-way-too-early-sabres-roster-projection?page=2

This is a very interesting lineup Bove put together.  He signs Stastny because he trades away ROR for Galchenyuk and two good prospects.  Interesting.  Looking at the two prospects he named, Scherbak and Juulson, both could make the Sabres.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.