TSN: Sabres 2018 Game Plan

WildCard

I was hoping for a fun scenario :cry:

ummmmm.... okay, the Canadians trade #3 and Pacioretty to the Canes for #2 and Hanafin so the Canadians can fix the hole they created on their own blueline with the woefully stupid Drouin for Sergachev trade. The Canes think they are fixing some of their scoring problems by getting Pacioretty. 

ummmmm.... okay, the Canadians trade #3 and Pacioretty to the Canes for #2 and Hanafin so the Canadians can fix the hole they created on their own blueline with the woefully stupid Drouin for Sergachev trade. The Canes think they are fixing some of their scoring problems by getting Pacioretty. 

Why would the Canes trade the better player that's under longer team control at a premium position to move down a spot in the draft? Did Montreal include some sweet NASCAR tickets or a brief case full of cash?

Why would the Canes trade the better player that's under longer team control at a premium position to move down a spot in the draft? Did Montreal include some sweet NASCAR tickets or a brief case full of cash?

Go back and follow the thread. Here I will make it easy. 

If I am trading ROR to Montreal, I want their 2nd  3rd overall pick. 

And how are they acquiring that pick? ;)

fixed

I was hoping for a fun scenario :cry:

Edited by Skurk Liger

I’m not sure if some of the older guys still qualify for the pre-camp rookie tournament, but our prospect depth looks surprisingly ripe with guys who might be ready to make the jump this year. Competition from this group bodes well for improving the bottom half of our roster and call-up situation, if we can acquire a couple real NHLers to boost the middle.

Bailey Mittelstadt Baptiste

Nylander Asplund Olafsson

Smith O’Regan Fasching

Pu Malone Oglevie

Guhle Dahlin

Pilut Nelson

Borgen

Ullmark

How many spots should Botterill be leaving open for this group?

Edited by dudacek

I’m not sure if some of the older guys still qualify for the pre-camp rookie tournament, but our prospect depth looks surprisingly ripe with guys who might be ready to make the jump this year. Competition from this group bodes well for improving the bottom half of our roster and call-up situation, if we can acquire a couple real NHLers to boost the middle.

Smith O’Regan Fasching

Pu Malone Oglevie

Guhle Dahlin

Pilut Nelson

Borgen

Ullmark

It does seem like the bottom 6 forwards and bottom 2 D this year should be largely comprised of youth with speed and upside instead of retreads and journeymen.

They just need a few of them to flower, plus goaltending, coaching and maturity.

I’m not sure if some of the older guys still qualify for the rookie tournament, but our prospect depth looks surprisingly ripe with guys who might be ready to make the jump this year. Competition from this group bodes well for improving the bottom half of our roster and call-up situation, if we can acquire a couple real NHLers to boost the middle.

Smith O’Regan Fasching

Pu Malone Oglevie

Guhle Dahlin

Pilut Nelson

Borgen

Ullmark

None? Force them to kick the door down and announce that they are taking a roster spot with excellent play. If they don't, they can stay in Rochester for a minute, then go elsewhere.

Sounds about right to me. Dahlin, Mittelstadt and Ullmark should grab 3, leaving a bloody free-for-all for the last two spots.

None? Force them to kick the door down and announce that they are taking a roster spot with excellent play. If they don't, they can stay in Rochester for a minute, then go elsewhere.

So sign another handful of Pouliots, instead of just letting them fight it out amongst themselves?

I think there is something to be said for dangling a carrot.

Edited by dudacek

It does seem like the bottom 6 forwards and bottom 2 D this year should be largely comprised of youth with speed and upside instead of retreads and journeymen.

They just need a few of them to flower, plus goaltending, coaching and maturity.

..... and that is a huge step forward IMHO.

Sounds about right to me. Dahlin, Mittelstadt and Ullmark should grab 3, leaving a bloody free-for-all for the last two spots.

So sign another handful of Pouliots, instead of just letting them fight it out amongst themselves?

Yes but instead of signing Pouliot, sign Riley Nash or Derek Ryan!

Edited by Randall Flagg

I'd like to sign/trade for someone to play LW who is better than Rodriguez but I'd be perfectly fine with leaving a few spots in the bottom 6 open for some of the young guys to compete and see if anyone is capable to playing well enough to earn it over the others.

Looking at our LWs, I don't see how Olofsson isn't in the NHL this year, at least without having a dreadful camp that makes us regret using an ELC on him.

You think there will still be room after Botterill acquires Lucic and Pacioretty?

Pouliots are replaceable and expendable when prospects supplant them. Either they win a spot out of camp or they play their way into full time after an injury. But I don't really believe in saving spots for pretty much any of them.

Smith O’Regan Fasching

Pu Malone Oglevie

Guhle Dahlin

Pilut Nelson

Borgen

Ullmark

Mittelstadt, Dahlin, Ullmark are already pencilled in. I wouldn’t be opposed to 1 spot at forward, and 1 spot on D being “left open” for competition, carrot purposes, but..

Yes but instead of signing Pouliot, sign Riley Nash or Derek Ryan!

This. I’d first and foremost be looking at any immediate upgrades available at a reasonable cost for any open position. The more young players that have to FORCE their way onto the roster, the better. Plus, the Sabres are seemingly always near the top of the man games lost list. Gotta expect injuries. There will be opportunity.

X - Eichel - Reinhart

X - O’Reilly - Okposo

X - Mittelstadt - Pominville

X - Larsson - X

Scandella - Ristolainen

Dahlin - X

McCabe - Bogosian

Ullmark

X

Not saying these will be the lines necessarily, but I think the players listed are either accurately slotted based on talent (Centre core, Reinhart, the Defence, hopefully Ullmark) or slotted in a likely spot, arguably unfortunately, based on Vet status/contract, at least to start the season (Okposo, Pominville).

The rest of those spots are up for grabs. I think we can expect Rodrigues and Wilson to likely seize two of the LW spots, leaving two still open. Those 2 spots could be seized by youth (Smith? Olofsson?) or by Girgensons, but the priority should be acquisitions if possible (precluding ROR or CM isn’t shifted to LW) that would represent true upgrades at the LW position, particularly when we are so lacking at legit top 6 LW. Make the kids force their way in, if both spots are filled, or at least if only one of the spots is filled, it increases the likelihood the open spot is filled through competition. Same deal with the open RW spot.

We need to add a RHD, particularly if Dahlin ends up playing the left side. But I’d argue either way. Or else we could be counting on Nelson and Bogosian to account for two-thirds of our RHD. Hard pass.

And we need a vet GT to push Ullmark.

I think people might be missing a nuance to what I'm saying.

I want veteran additions. I just want them to be more middle-six, second-pair Scandella level than Pouliot level.

I don't want the prospects handed jobs.

I want the kids battling with Rodrigues, Larsson, Pominville, Wilson and Girgensons for the last seven forward spots.

But if we can't acquire some real NHL forwards, I'd rather have the likes of Baptiste and Bailey battling with Olafsson and Smith for the last couple spots than with retread veterans like Pouliot, Nolan or Josefsen.

Edited by dudacek

Pouliots are replaceable and expendable when prospects supplant them. Either they win a spot out of camp or they play their way into full time after an injury. But I don't really believe in saving spots for pretty much any of them.

If Vegas has taught us anything, it should be that there's value in providing an opportunity to players who haven't "earned it" in the traditional sense. Maybe Baptiste et al. ultimately flop and don't belong in the NHL, but for a team that finished in last place, there isn't a single good reason to not give them a shot.

I think people might be missing a nuance to what I'm saying.

I want veteran additions. I just want them to be more middle-six, second-pair Scandella level than Pouliot level.

I don't want the prospects handed jobs.

I want the kids battling with Rodrigues, Larsson, Pominville, Wilson and Girgensons for the last seven forward spots.

But if we can't acquire some real NHL forwards, I'd rather have the likes of Baptiste and Bailey battling with Olafsson and Smith for the last couple spots than with retread veterans like Pouliot, Nolan or Josefsen.

It’ll be interesting to see what Botterill does, in the sense that, he did go the retread veteran route last offseason. Hopefully he saw enough last season to realize it’s not the way to go this season, whether they can bring in legit outside talent or not.

If Vegas has taught us anything, it should be that there's value in providing an opportunity to players who haven't "earned it" in the traditional sense. Maybe Baptiste et al. ultimately flop and don't belong in the NHL, but for a team that finished in last place, there isn't a single good reason to not give them a shot.

Here's one.  They weren't good enough on a last place team.  Aim higher.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.