Holy Mackerel! Sabres Win Dahlin Lottery!

Randall Flagg

Get ready for the hype train...

Kris Baker on Dahlin:

(6:25) I think his floor is probably Drew Doughty, a guy who can impact the game offensively, he can play defensively, he might win some Cups...  The biggest challenge when I'm talking about Dahlin is trying to stay guarded and grounded in reality and little bit reserved- you don't want to oversell the kid (he's still a child, you know?).  But going back through the mental rolodex (of prospects), he's unique and you can throw any word out there and he's going to over-deliver- I'm very confident in that.  So, when you say he's a perennial All Star, that's a pretty nice floor.

...Victor Hedman was a very dominant young player when he was 16 and 17, and of course he had the size.  But Victor Hedman couldn't do the things with the puck that that Rasmus Dahlin can do.  He couldn't skate up the ice with that speed, head up, 360 degree scan, and just see everything happening.  Even maybe a second or two before it comes to fruition. ... It took Hedman at least five years to for Hedman to find his groove.  It's not gonna take Dahlin that long.  ... Jovanovski, Chris Phillips- these guys don't come close to Rasmus Dahlin.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Get ready for the hype train...

Kris Baker on Dahlin:

(6:25) I think his floor is probably Drew Doughty, a guy who can impact the game offensively, he can play defensively, he might win some Cups...  The biggest challenge when I'm talking about Dahlin is trying to stay guarded and grounded in reality and little bit reserved- you don't want to oversell the kid (he's still a child, you know?).  But going back through the mental rolodex (of prospects), he's unique and you can throw any word out there and he's going to over-deliver- I'm very confident in that.  So, when you say he's a perennial All Star, that's a pretty nice floor.

...Victor Hedman was a very dominant young player when he was 16 and 17, and of course he had the size.  But Victor Hedman couldn't do the things with the puck that that Rasmus Dahlin can do.  He couldn't skate up the ice with that speed, head up, 360 degree scan, and just see everything happening.  Even maybe a second or two before it comes to fruition. ... It took Hedman at least five years to for Hedman to find his groove.  It's not gonna take Dahlin that long.  ... Jovanovski, Chris Phillips- these guys don't come close to Rasmus Dahlin.

Baker over-hypes everybody IMO, he's like Craig Button.

You think so?

I’ve aways found him to be guardedly positive, as a rule.

Always finds things to like about everyone, but rarely gushes.

For example, he really hyped up Estephan... and he amounted to absolutely nada.  He's not even signed to a pro-contract. 

http://www.sabresprospects.com/2016/04/buffalo-sabres-april-2016-prospect.html

"Some guys just know how to play the center position. Estephan, a smooth, crafty player with excellent vision and an impressive two-way mindset, fits the bill with his fine edge work and superior puck-handling ability. While he creates and finishes in the offensive zone, Estephan has proven to understand what it takes to be an effective defensive player as well. When he becomes a faster, more powerful glider with added strength up top, Estephan looks like a player with a decent professional future ahead of him as a multi-dimensional organizational depth forward with a fair amount of NHL upside."

What's your opinion of Dahlin? 

I like him, think he's a special player, but.... not at the generational level some are forecasting.   

I project him to be on par with guys like Klingberg and Theodore.     Both great offensive skill, skating, puck handling... but it will take time before he learns to defend at the NHL level.    

Would I be shocked if he gets to the level of Doughty or Karlsson?  No, but he just turned 18 and there's no telling how he'll react to the North American game, with all the distractions that come with being an NHL player.     Has his skating peaked?   His vision, ability to read plays?   There's no way to know how much runway he still has, but I do think he's the best prospect in the draft.  

I like him, think he's a special player, but.... not at the generational level some are forecasting.   

I project him to be on par with guys like Klingberg and Theodore.     Both great offensive skill, skating, puck handling... but it will take time before he learns to defend at the NHL level.    

Would I be shocked if he gets to the level of Doughty or Karlsson?  No, but he just turned 18 and there's no telling how he'll react to the North American game, with all the distractions that come with being an NHL player.     Has his skating peaked?   His vision, ability to read plays?   There's no way to know how much runway he still has, but I do think he's the best prospect in the draft.  

ROOOOOOOOOAR HE"S MCDAVID

I think this is a completely fair analysis. Safe bet to be a good player, with tantalizing upside that certainly can't be guaranteed. 

Also, it's about time one of our guys interviewed Rasmus. He was on Leaf Talk or whatever like a week ago..

ROOOOOOOOOAR HE"S MCDAVID

I think this is a completely fair analysis. Safe bet to be a good player, with tantalizing upside that certainly can't be guaranteed. 

Also, it's about time one of our guys interviewed Rasmus. He was on Leaf Talk or whatever like a week ago..

Rasmus will be on WGR tomorrow at like 10 something AM.

Shea Theodore? 

Even if his skating has peaked he is still in the top 10 skaters in the league. I would argue it has not peaked because at 6'2" 180ish lbs, he can do the easiest thing for a prospect to do and that is gain muscle. 

Shea Theodore? 

Even if his skating has peaked he is still in the top 10 skaters in the league. I would argue it has not peaked because at 6'2" 180ish lbs, he can do the easiest thing for a prospect to do and that is gain muscle. 

I'm not being argumentative, I agree that Dahlin's skating is sublime, but is there methodology behind calling him a top 10 skater in the world? I just ask because both from his position and the size of the ice he plays on, it's nearly impossible for me personally to judge his skating other than to say his agility and edgework is drool-worthy. I have a tough time cross-comparing until I see him on the same ice as the McDavids and MacKinnons of the world.

Edited by Randall Flagg

It's good to see it only took 10 days for us to reach a level where he can only disappoint.

Could anyone expect anything different? :-) When one lives in an extended state of disappointment... it becomes normal to live there. It becomes easier to find ways to remain/feel disappointed. It can be a lot less painful than say, getting your hopes up... only to be let down. That level of pain, especially when it's fresh, can be pretty acute.

I'm going to roll with Dahlin being a generational talent. Life is just better like that... for at least the next 2-3 years :-)

Edited by Die Hard

Shea Theodore?

Couple of concerns...

1 - Who will mentor the young Swede? Housley? IMO you need a veteran on-ice presence to guide him through the rigors of his first season in the NHL. That guy currently isn't on the roster.

2 - He was a healthy scratch in Pyeongchang. Why?

3 - Friction between him and Eichel. Hear me out.... Both guys like the puck on their stick. They both like to rush it up ice and hold on to it. Will there be enough rubber to keep both satisfied?

4 - Defense. Can he play defense or is he simply an offensive threat? Karlsson, IMO, is terrible defensively. Doughty is a stud. Will he be more like his fellow countryman? Hmmm.

5 - I'd like to sit down and talk to him for about 3hrs... then talk to his former teammates and coaches, meet his family and friends. Find our what makes him tick, how much does he simply love the game, what is his ultimate goal in life? Does he value money as much as Austin Matthews? Is he smart? Until I get those answers, I'll have some reservations. It takes a special type of individual to reach the pinnacle of their sport.

Couple of concerns...

1 - Who will mentor the young Swede? Housley? IMO you need a veteran on-ice presence to guide him through the rigors of his first season in the NHL. That guy currently isn't on the roster.

3 - Friction between him and Eichel. Hear me out.... Both guys like the puck on their stick. They both like to rush it up ice and hold on to it. Will there be enough rubber to keep both satisfied?

4 - Defense. Can he play defense or is he simply an offensive threat? Karlsson, IMO, is terrible defensively. Doughty is a stud. Will he be more like his fellow countryman? Hmmm.

5 - I'd like to sit down and talk to him for about 3hrs... then talk to his former teammates and coaches, meet his family and friends. Find our what makes him tick, how much does he simply love the game, what is his ultimate goal in life? Does he value money as much as Austin Matthews? Is he smart? Until I get those answers, I'll have some reservations. It takes a special type of individual to reach the pinnacle of their sport.

1 Re-sign Gorges, Josh

2 two words: Kim Jong Un

3 what they do after a night on Chippewa is not really our concern

4 see #1

5 there is only one Auston Matthews

Edited by dudacek

I'd like to sit down and talk to him for about 3hrs... then talk to his former teammates and coaches, meet his family and friends.

Until I get those answers, I'll have some reservations. It takes a special type of individual to reach the pinnacle of their sport.

I said UNTIL I GET THOSE ANSWERS.

I know this is genuine on your part. It’s just so utterly foreign to me, as a fan.

We’re never, ever getting any of that information. So I’m not sure how it could or should be relevant to whether and to what extent we just enjoy a remarkable prospect.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Couple of concerns...

1) Scandella and Bogosian are the two eldest vets on the roster. I would also expect Housley to treat Dahlin like Eichel, working with him and helping him the best he can. The kid is a self starter and seems to learn by reflection and practice. 

2) You are questioning why a 17yr defender was not played more at the Olympics? Just like team USA, team Sweden leaned on older more experienced players in such a short tournement. Considering he was the youngest defender on that roster by 9 full years, kinda makes sense that they wouldn't play him a ton. This was his first experience with a national team that he will probably captain some day. 

3) This assumes that Dahlin and Eichel are both puck hogs with lower hockey IQ. They aren't. Dahlin has never played with someone who can do what Eichel does and Eichel has never played with someone who can do what Dahlin does. They will compliment eachother. Dahlin has one of the most accurate breakout passes I have seen. Eichel will be getting fed plenty still. If it is a problem on the PP, just split them up. Teams will have fits trying to deal with Eichel on 1 pp unit and Dahlin on the other. 

4) Yes he can play defense. He is well noted for how good his defensive zone coverage is and how physical he plays in and around his net. Rarely if ever out of position. His defensive play was good enough to get him on the top defensive pair for Frolunda. Even with his offensive gifts, they wouldn't have done that if he was unable to cover defensively.  I think you underestimate not only how much work he willing to do on and off the ice but also how much intelligence he brings. 

5) What makes him tick? Hockey. His ultimate goal? The Stanley Cup. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.