The Reckoning: Botterill's Off-Season

LGR4GM

It's time. This team might be the first team i just disengaged from. I felt nothing when they lost. No excitement for Dahlin. No sadness for the loss.

Botterill needs to drop the hammer. Idk on who and frankly I don't care but he needs to burn out the lazy, passengers that infect that locker room.

I think he's made up his mind and his judgements are coming. At least they better be.

It's time. This team might be the first team i just disengaged from. I felt nothing when they lost. No excitement for Dahlin. No sadness for the loss.

Botterill needs to drop the hammer. Idk on who and frankly I don't care but he needs to burn out the lazy, passengers that infect that locker room.

I think he's made up his mind and his judgements are coming. At least they better be.

Not sure if this should go here or the defense thread, but it's all about our D.

It was our biggest glaring weakness this year. Their lack of scoring contribution was astonishing.

I think our forwards will mostly be fine with only some tweaking, but he has to fix the D.

Agree and I think the Sabres need to find a way during the off season to come together as a team once changes are determined. More off season hockey things around Buffalo wether it be off season work outs/ training - team activites, passing drills, especially under pressure. Structure stuff, drill drill drill till they get it right. Wish team stuff could happen earlier. Dont care if theses guys like each other only that they compete together. Want to see some leadership and be sick of playing against each other by the time season starts.

Not sure if this should go here or the defense thread, but it's all about our D.

It was our biggest glaring weakness this year. Their lack of scoring contribution was astonishing.

I think our forwards will mostly be fine with only some tweaking, but he has to fix the D.

I think you're crazy if you think our forwards are mostly fine.

I'm not sure if JBots chews his fingernails but the pressure is squarely on him now. Its all you JBot. Get her done or go home. We need decisive action with tangible results. Things better ######in improve with this team. The inmates are getting restless.

Edited by bunomatic

I wrote in the Forwards thread (before Casey and Nylander were brought up) to replace everyone not named Jack, Sam and Risto. I know that’s not going to happen, but replacing or diminishing 10-12 players could easily happen and should. Some coaches may also need to go. I wouldn’t mind the hiring of a special teams coach.

Our cap with Sam ($5 mill) re-signed is at 62 mill for 16 players including Guhle Casey and Ullmark and Moulson’s contract. 9F, 6D and 1G. The signed list includes Baloo, Bogo, Pommers, KO, Larsson, McCabe, ERod and Girgensons. Not a pretty list. Other than ERod you can argue the rest are dead weight. KO maybe able to re cover his past form.

While we have the cap space to work around the dead weight contracts, people will much better if we never have to see some of these guys ever again in blue and gold.

Jbot could have a very simple plan this summer and move to the Avs model; dump all over 30 players and other non coachable players and go with youth.

Step 1 qualify all RFAs including Antipin and Lehner. Then the trade Lehner for whatever. Let Antipin return to Russia. By qualifying him we’ll get something if he ever returns.

Step 2 demote Baloo to the AHL. It saves nearly 50% of his contract and maybe Taylor can fix him as he did Nelson.

Step 3 put Bogo on LTIR if he can’t pass a physical. If he does demote him as well. Saves only $1 mill but a buyout keeps him on the books for 4 years.

Trade Larsson and Girgensons.

Re-sign Nelson

Open up completion in camp to all the AAAA players and prospects: Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching, Wilson, Nylander, O’Regan, Griffith etc..

You have to remember if we draft in the top 3 we are getting an immediate roster. Add that player to

Casey and probably Nylander and the speed skill and look of the team changes instantly.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Agreed, but he needs to fix the 'D' and goaltending with utmost priority. 

Our forwards would have looked so much more competent with a better D corps.

And the D corps would have looked so much more confident with better goaltending.

I really think Botterill's first priority needs to be a good starting goalie.  Not necessarily Miller caliber, but at least a good one.  If Ullmark is up to it, well, fine, but he'd better really be up to it if that's the basket Botterill is putting his eggs in.

Edited by Eleven

Totally agreed. I am still excited about Dahlin as I would really love to see how good this kid is and maybe he rejuvenates Risto who I certainly don't want to give up on yet (although his regression this season really worries me). Other than that, from November on I felt very little regarding this team as I knew it was more of the same by then. Tough past 7 years to be sure.

And the D corps would have looked so much more confident with better goaltending.

I really think Botterill's first priority needs to be a good starting goalie. Not necessarily Miller caliber, but at least a good one. If Ullmark is up to it, well, fine, but he'd better really be up to it if that's the basket Botterill is putting his eggs in.

Agreed. Our gt was atrocious.

First thing's first:  Cut bait

Buy-out Bogosian: This needs to be the first act of contrition.  Getting him off the roster.  Not that I dislike him as a player, but when you cannot stay on the ice for more than a 10 game stretch and you've had multiple differing injuries it hurts the teams ability to go out and find suitable options with that kind of cap hit.  Move on. 

Trade or Buy out Pominville:  This is a contingency, based on the ability to find a spot for him.  I'm "okay" with holding onto his cap for the season as it's in the last year.  However, his skating continues to drop steadily.  It's time to go younger, and even if that means a learning curve and a slower ability to product points in Baptiste, it's time. 

Let Nolan, Gorges, Josefson, Pouliot all walk into free agency.   Do not tender Lehner a contract.  Move on while it's available with no sentiment or attachment.  Lehner showed that he had next to no value at the deadline.  So there's not much sense in keeping him around another season. 

Move one of Larsson or Girgensons:  It's time to move on from one.  Pick your preference.  Neither is a bad secondary player.  However, at this point we know what you are.  

Make a hard decision on the leadership group:  Ryan O'Reilly, Kyle Okposo.  While we're likely stuck with Okposo, O'Reilly will have a ton of value.  You cannot really replace his minutes, forward draws and steady consistent two way play.  However, at this point there just needs to be a sharp swift decision if he's here long term.  

Re-sign:  Casey Nelson, RD:  This was proof that some players move at a slower pace, and when given opportunity that they can thrive.  There still are some things to clear up (more so on the defensive side).  However, you saw some glimpses of a top six defensemen in Casey this year.  He shouldn't be hard to retain, however retaining him is a key.  Don't let a positive go.  

Edited by TheCerebral1

Buy-out Bogosian: This needs to be the first act of contrition.  Getting him off the roster.  Not that I dislike him as a player, but when you cannot stay on the ice for more than a 10 game stretch and you've had multiple differing injuries it hurts the teams ability to go out and find suitable options with that kind of cap hit.  Move on. 

Trade or Buy out Pominville:  This is a contingency, based on the ability to find a spot for him.  I'm "okay" with holding onto his cap for the season as it's in the last year.  However, his skating continues to drop steadily.  It's time to go younger, and even if that means a learning curve and a slower ability to product points in Baptiste, it's time. 

Let Nolan, Gorges, Josefson, Pouliot all walk into free agency.   Do not tender Lehner a contract.  Move on while it's available with no sentiment or attachment.  Lehner showed that he had next to no value at the deadline.  So there's not much sense in keeping him around another season. 

Move one of Larsson or Girgensons:  It's time to move on from one.  Pick your preference.  Neither is a bad secondary player.  However, at this point we know what you are.  

Make a hard decision on the leadership group:  Ryan O'Reilly, Kyle Okposo.  While we're likely stuck with Okposo, O'Reilly will have a ton of value.  You cannot really replace his minutes, forward draws and steady consistent two way play.  However, at this point there just needs to be a sharp swift decision if he's here long term.  

Re-sign:  Casey Nelson, RD:  This was proof that some players move at a slower pace, and when given opportunity that they can thrive.  There still are some things to clear up (more so on the defensive side).  However, you saw some glimpses of a top six defensemen in Casey this year.  He shouldn't be hard to retain, however retaining him is a key.  Don't let a positive go.  

I know O'Reilly brings value but I do hate to lose him. Great face off man and it really is an important part of the possession game. (not that the Sabres were any good at that part this past season) but a good face off guy is hard to come by.

I know O'Reilly brings value but I do hate to lose him. Great face off man and it really is an important part of the possession game. (not that the Sabres were any good at that part this past season) but a good face off guy is hard to come by.

I definitely noted that he's valuable and while I don't want him to necessarily go, it seems that there might be a slight shift in the room.  Not saying which side he's on in the room.  However, they need to look at everything short of trading Eichel / Mittelstadt / Ristolainen.  IMO. 

Don't we get cap relief when Bogo is on ltir?

For the moment, sure.  However, once he's back on the books, what's the point.  He's been riddled with injuries and the negatives outweigh the positives.  

I really think Botterill's first priority needs to be a good starting goalie.  Not necessarily Miller caliber, but at least a good one.  If Ullmark is up to it, well, fine, but he'd better really be up to it if that's the basket Botterill is putting his eggs in.

Agreed. Our gt was atrocious.

Yes indeedly.

I expect JBott knows this too.  I don't think the plan will rely on Ullmark.

Waivers.

Next year they might force our hand on some players. Namely, Bailey, Baptiste, & Fasching.

AFAIK, they will all be subject to waivers next year.  While none has greatly impressed, all still might

find a way onto the roster, especially if we are clearing house.

We need more team speed, Bailey & Baptiste bring it.

Also: Good D makes Forwards better. Just look at Rochester this year. They have a lot of good

experienced D-men making up for any deficiencies in their forwards. Such as Redmond scoring

a ton of points.

Like you allude to in the next sentence, KO would be the easiest decision of the offseason if someone were willing to take him, Even if you're thrilled with his play this year, he still has 5 (!!) years left after this one on that horrendous contract.

I like the rest of your moves, and I'll live with KO around when Pominville and other old slow guys are gone.

1. He's a liability because he's hurt so much, question is, do we just suck up his contract one more year and be done with him, or buy him out and be on the hook for part of the salary for several more years?  I say, let him finish it out, maybe he miraculously plays 60 games, is effective, and we can uload him at the deadline for a 4th to a team looking for playoff depth.

2. Doubt we can trade him, unless a playoff bound team is hurting for winger depth and experience at the dealine.

3. absolutely 100% agree letting these bums walk

4. I think I would let Girgensons stay and try to rid oursleves of Larrson.  To think that there was a rumor a few years agho that Chiacgo offered Patrick Sharp for Girgensons, sorry I can't remember where i saw that.

5.  I would like to see RoR traded, he has value for sure, and I think we could get a 2nd pairing d-man and a prospect.  I can't remember the game, it was after New Years when Eichel was tearing it up, we had won, Eichel was on the bench fist bumping every player as they headed to the tunnel, RoR completely ignored him, could be nothing, but maybe there is something to them being co-capts and RoR was a b!tch about that in Colorado so...

6. Sure, he's a fine 5-6-7 D-man with some upside

We regularly ran out Weber on the top pairing with Strachan, Meszaros, Benoit, rookie Zadorov and Rookie Ristolainen behind him, just three years ago...

And that team was only 8 points off of our tally this season (albeit with 2 games to play).

Oh, look at that top line: Moulson - Girgensons - Ennis. Also a fun fact: at one point Marcus Foligno was playing center that season.

Some interesting tidbits from 31 Thoughts this week

16. Two weeks ago, there was a jolt of excitement in Buffalo as Casey Mittelstadt left the University of Minnesota to join the Sabres. It’s not a huge coincidence that Alex Nylander got a call-up from AHL Rochester shortly after.

“They looked good playing together at our development camp,” GM Jason Botterill said Monday, hours before Buffalo lost 5-2 in Toronto. “Alex got hurt after that, and it took him a while to get going.”

That’s true. There were rumours the Sabres were getting fed up with their 2016 first-rounder and would look to trade him. In a previous conversation, Botterill denied that, saying it was way too soon. Nylander had 13 points in his first 32 AHL games, 13 in his last 16, and has earned a test drive. The GM wouldn’t come right out and say it, but there’s a sense it isn’t easy for Alex to see older brother William’s success in Toronto. William was a point-per-game guy in two AHL seasons and a full-time NHLer by age 20.

“Alex has to understand that he could still be playing at OHL Mississauga,” Botterill said. “He’s got plenty of time to make an impact.”

Blues sinking, Avs hanging on, Hall is on top

April 05 2018

Audio Player

00:00 | 09:23

17. The Sabres will finish 31st and have the best lottery odds for the No. 1 draft pick. It’s been a tough year for Botterill and head coach Phil Housley. They came from organizations with demanding coaches, but there’s no doubt a lot of the tone in Nashville and Pittsburgh is set by the players. In talking to some of the Sabres, they see the “cycle of losing” affecting the younger guys.

“Look at Rasmus Ristolainen,” one said. “He’s a really good player. But he’s been here the longest. [Losing is] all he knows.”

Opponents say they’ve taken advantage of Jack Eichel’s obvious on-ice frustration. I mentioned these comments to Botterill and we had a really good conversation about it.

“[Eichel’s] last injury came at such a bad time. We went to Western Canada, beat Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver. Our power play was on a 30-per cent stretch, and he hurt his ankle.”

The GM shrugged his shoulders in frustration at the memory.

“You just want see him have some success. We need to win games. It’s not just Jack’s team. We need to help him. Teammates need to help him. When he is challenged, he responds in a good way. You talk about changing culture. How do you do that? You can’t always just trade for it. That’s why it’s so important that Rochester made the playoffs. Those young players are going to understand what it is like to play meaningful games, what it takes to win them.”

He told a story about Linus Ullmark, who will get every chance to be Buffalo’s No. 1 goaltender next season. In a December game against Belleville, Ullmark lost a shutout with one minute left.

“Some goalies would be upset, but Ullmark was celebrating in the room with everyone else. All he cared about was the win. That’s what we need.”

18. Buffalo likes what it has at centre with Eichel, Mittelstadt and Ryan O’Reilly. The Sabres believe a healthy Zach Bogosian and Jake McCabe will help Brendan Guhle and Casey Nelson, because they’ll be properly slotted.

“We’ll make some changes,” Botterill said, “because you can’t come back with the same group. We have talent, but we don’t have consistency. We’ve beaten Boston three times. We won at Tampa Bay, and we just beat Nashville on the road in a game we were losing 3-1. But we don’t build off those. Here’s another example. [On March 19], we lose 4-0 at home to Nashville. We work hard at practice the next day, then forget what we practised on the Wednesday (a 4-1 loss to Arizona). You have to develop those habits and stick to them.”

Botterill’s father, Cal, is a longtime sports psychologist and his sister, Jennifer, owner of three Olympic gold medals, is relentlessly positive. Has he spoken to them much?

“Actually, the person I spoke to about this is John Hynes,” referring to the Devils’ coach who worked with him at AHL Wilkes-Barre. “We discussed the balance between being angry at the way things are going and saying, ‘OK, today is going to be a work day. We are going to fix some of our problems, and we are going to be optimistic.’”

19. In recent history, the Sabres have thrown a lot of free-agent money at their problems. Will that be the plan again? Botterill: “We’ll see.”

20. I asked if any under-the-radar prospects took strides for Buffalo. Botterill mentioned three. First was CJ Smith, a 2017 NCAA free-agent who leads Rochester with 17 goals. Second was another AHLer, Sean Malone.

“He’s going to a carve out a role here, the way he is going.”

Third is 22-year-old Victor Olofsson, a 2014 seventh-rounder who led all scorers in the Swedish league with 27 goals.

“We’d like to give him a look, see if he can score here with our guys.”

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.