Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

9 minutes ago, Hoss said:

If you can get value for a 30 year old back with highly questionable character you do it. Even if his character is a positive you do it.

Yep. Plus the IR of Ajayi coupled with the Philly tie may provide a short-term opportunity to get higher-than-normal value

37 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

How about a warm body to help the offense?  Imbecils.

There really isn’t any point. Any player they bring back will lower the important asset (the pick). There are no “prospects” in the NFL so there’s no way to configure a deal around a young player from another team that’s worth a damn.

1 minute ago, IKnowPhysics said:

And we'll have more than $92M (-Shady salary) next year, so we can buy any player we need.

FA is such an uncertain venture.

OTOH, so is the draft a lot of the time.

Good lord, they're gonna have money to spend.

Also: Am I right to think that, in the NFL, players go where the dollars are more so than, say, the NHL? It seems to me that you hear about a market like Buffalo having difficulty approaching big fish UFAs. Not so much the case in the NFL. Maybe it's a function of the brevity of their careers, non-guaranteed contracts, and the need for guaranteed money?

7 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Not so much the case in the NFL. Maybe it's a function of the brevity of their careers, non-guaranteed contracts, and the need for guaranteed money?

I think this is right.  Average NFL career is 3.3 years.  No guaranteed contracts.  Gotta make the paper while you still can in a sport that has a 100% injury rate.

Awesome!!!!! Let's waste another top 10 defense and trade one of the only reasons to watch this offense, so that hopefully the same guys who didn't fix the known problem with this offense (the line) this past off-season can get it right next off-season and pick up some guys that can help us in three years.

THE FUTURE!!!!

24 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Awesome!!!!! Let's waste another top 10 defense and trade one of the only reasons to watch this offense, so that hopefully the same guys who didn't fix the known problem with this offense (the line) this past off-season can get it right next off-season and pick up some guys that can help us in three years.

THE FUTURE!!!!

I'm sorry, are you not aware that this team is actually bad? 

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

FA is such an uncertain venture.

OTOH, so is the draft a lot of the time.

Good lord, they're gonna have money to spend.

Also: Am I right to think that, in the NFL, players go where the dollars are more so than, say, the NHL? It seems to me that you hear about a market like Buffalo having difficulty approaching big fish UFAs. Not so much the case in the NFL. Maybe it's a function of the brevity of their careers, non-guaranteed contracts, and the need for guaranteed money?

Yes. Look at how many people happily became members of the goddamn Browns this offseason, after 1 win in the last 32 games and continuing to employ that coaching staff

57 minutes ago, SwampD said:

THE FUTURE!!!!

In general I agree, but in the NFL, that draft pick (especially with McBeane - I'm lovin Taron Johnson right now) will have a very decent chance at contributing next year, and McCoy has been trash except for 6 of his touches this weekend. As far as I can tell, running Murphy and Ivory will be the same THIS season as running McCoy and Ivory, as McCoy is not what he was even last year

It'd be different if McCoy was sitting on 380 rushing yards this season, but he has less than half of the guys in the top 5. 

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

THE FUTURE!!!!

It comes easier when it's no longer important in your life.

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

In general I agree, but in the NFL, that draft pick (especially with McBeane - I'm lovin Taron Johnson right now) will have a very decent chance at contributing next year, and McCoy has been trash except for 6 of his touches this weekend. As far as I can tell, running Murphy and Ivory will be the same THIS season as running McCoy and Ivory, as McCoy is not what he was even last year

It'd be different if McCoy was sitting on 380 rushing yards this season, but he has less than half of the guys in the top 5. 

I’ll admit to not watching, but I have a hard time pinning much blame on a featured back who up until this week was averaging 7 carries a game. It seems like the “trash” label needs to be focused somewhere else. 

7 minutes ago, shrader said:

I’ll admit to not watching, but I have a hard time pinning much blame on a featured back who up until this week was averaging 7 carries a game. It seems like the “trash” label needs to be focused somewhere else. 

I do use the term trash quite loosely in general, but McCoy was indistinguishable from any other RB in every game up to Tennessee, all of the performances from all of them pathetic, and yes, mostly because of the stacked boxes/offensive line play. 

But regardless of why McCoy's production is/was nonexistent, it was. If it's McCoy being worse than ever (he is, because of age, though still probably decent) or if it's our line being awful, neither of those will change this year if they are the reason, and so that's why I'd be cool with a haul like that for him, when as far as I can tell for this season on balance Murphy/Ivory will be functionally identical to McCoy/Ivory (In the first 3 weeks, Murphy legitimately looked as good as Shady's few touches)

Edited by Randall Flagg

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

I don’t mind the thought of moving him one bit. I don’t think the numbers so far this year will adversely effect any deal. If anything, the incredibly limited usage should actually have him in better shape for a new team thanks to less wear and tear. 

I also would like to say that the parameters I quoted are the ones I'm okay with - if we dump him for a 6th i'll be pretty mad

26 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I guess everyone forgot that McCoy has been injured. He'll only get better as the season goes on. As will Allen.

I dream of a day, when Buffalo fans actually care about winning now, not just getting better in the future.

Unfair representation, I don't think McCoy is helping us win now to any meaningful degree over his replacements 

My issues with trading McCoy:

1. 45 carries spread over 4 games is not a large enough data set to make a determination on McCoy's current ability. He's been averaging 3.8 yards per carry while injured, behind perhaps the worst OL in the league, and up against defenses that have been stacking the line because they do not fear a rookie QB throwing to inarguably the worst WR corps in the NFL.

2. Neither Ivory nor Murphy can replace what McCoy brings to the offense. Ivory is a completely different type of RB (old school north-south power back), and Murphy so far appears to be not nearly as good against defenses in the regular season as he is against defenses during the preseason.

3. Three fellow future Hall of Fame RB's older than McCoy are still getting it done in the NFL as feature backs: Peterson, Lynch, and Gore.

4. Perhaps the most important aspect to this season is the development of Josh Allen. Not only is McCoy the best playmaker on the offense, but he appears to be developing good locker room chemistry with Allen. It makes more sense to make an honest effort to establish a running game this season and relieve some of the pressure on Allen in having to win games through the air.

5. Rumors have the Eagles not interested in offering more than a 5th round draft pick for McCoy. This is quite simply not a high enough pick to justify losing McCoy.

6. The extra cap space is not at all needed. Beane will probably not get anywhere close to spending up to the current $90+ million cap space limit for 2019.

7. Six weeks into the season, the Bills could realistically be tied for first place in the division upon completing what many consider to be the toughest part of their schedule. Deshaun Watson is day-to-day with a chest injury. The Pats play the Chiefs on Sunday. The Dolphins play the Bears. The Buffalo defense is trending toward "elite" status and is already top-10 in several important statistical categories despite that disastrous start to the season. Buffalo's special teams feature the best kicker in the NFL. Like SwampD said, it is the nature of many Buffalo sports fans to always be thinking about building for a more hopeful future rather than living in the present moment and focusing on winning now. It's a mindset that has been molded in part by a 17-year NFL playoff drought and a 7+ year NHL playoff drought. But it's one that needs to stop. Franchise rebuilding projects need not be based on stockpiling super-high draft picks over geological timespans. If Beane, McDermott, JB, Housley, and the Pegulas really want to talk about changing locker room cultures...start by winning games and raising expectations.

Edited by FuhrUrsinne
  • Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.