Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

35 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

What is it with that guy. Is it because he's a Cowboy that he just seems to get more love/respect than is warranted?

Dez and Witten left, now he's very pedestrian.     Every QB needs weapons.

33 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Good lord.

That line.

oof.

Those guys did come free on a blitz -- but I think the player whose performance is most problematic in that clip is Allen. He's got to see those blitzers coming and make a different decision -- the play was designed to, and did in fact, give him safer, quick options.

6 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Those guys did come free on a blitz -- but I think the player whose performance is most problematic in that clip is Allen. He's got to see those blitzers coming and make a different decision -- the play was designed to, and did in fact, give him safer, quick options.

Mahomes saw a blitz from the right last night and changed the play to a screen pass to the left. They gained about 10 yards with some glorious blocks from the WRS/LT/TE on that side, and he ripped the ball over there as about 3 Broncos were about to destroy him. 

Now, I think Allen will learn to make that play change (and I don't think any QB is "good" at that as early as this) but, I mean, Daboll's one screen play I saw from this weekend had zero freaking blockers in front of the WR. it went for a yard or two. It was honestly shocking. 

5 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Mahomes saw a blitz from the right last night and changed the play to a screen pass to the left. They gained about 10 yards with some glorious blocks from the WRS/LT/TE on that side, and he ripped the ball over there as about 3 Broncos were about to destroy him. 

Now, I think Allen will learn to make that play change (and I don't think any QB is "good" at that as early as this) but, I mean, Daboll's one screen play I saw from this weekend had zero freaking blockers in front of the WR. it went for a yard or two. It was honestly shocking. 

I haven't looked at those clips. My point above is that Allen didn't even need to change the play on this one -- the play was properly designed to give him hot reads in the event the LBs vacated their area and came for him. Allen stayed locked-in on his 1v1 on the outside (which he saw pre-snap).

Just now, That Aud Smell said:

I haven't looked at those clips. My point above is that Allen didn't even need to change the play on this one -- the play was properly designed to give him hot reads in the event the LBs vacated their area and came for him. Allen stayed locked-in on his 1v1 on the outside (which he saw pre-snap).

For sure. I was just adding that I think we're clown shoes on like five different levels on offense compared to other teams 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Two things make me not that upset over that play: 100% certainty that our receiver would have dropped it anyway, and my joy that it looks like we have a QB who looks like he at least know you are allowed to throw a pass past the line of scrimmage.

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Unless you're Dak Prescot

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

What is it with that guy. Is it because he's a Cowboy that he just seems to get more love/respect than is warranted?

Dak has had pretty heavy criticism since last season, I think. He had a great rookie year, but he hasn't reached that peak since. Frankly, he's a case study in why you don't crown someone too soon. Kinda why I scoffed at changing my opinion on Allen during the preseason, as some seemingly thought should happen, and why I rolled my eyes at the chest-thumping following the Vikings game.

But go ahead and crown Mahomes. I'm serious. He's the freaking truth.

Saw a quote on the Twitter from McDermott: “The culture trumps strategy.”

Working to verify and contextualize.

But ... GAH.

Interesting quote from Sean McDermott: "We're trying to build a culture here.  The culture, to me, trumps strategy. That's what I believe in wholeheartedly. It doesn't mean we have choir boys, it means we have guys who love football and do things the right way for the most part"

I'm a lot less quick to jump on the Bills or McDermott than most here. 

But that take is utter garbage. 

Hopefully he's just saying his usual cliche stuff, I mean, if he knows that he needs to take over playcalling duties and then does it successfully, then he clearly understands how much strategy plays a role in NFL games.

That doesn't mean people are wrong to worry that he takes it too far in other important aspects of team-building and game-planning. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

But that take is utter garbage. 

That doesn't mean people are wrong to worry that he takes it too far in other important aspects of team-building and game-planning. 

I've posted pretty regularly here about how the faith-based, former wrassler, LEADER OF MEN was of concern to me. The game is being seized and mastered by -- and frankly tailored for -- teams led by innovative offensive minds. I don't think Daboll (sp?) qualifies as a savant O-coordinator.

Now that he's come out and said something that confirms my worst fears, I am more convinced than ever that, as fans, we are just playing out a string with McDermott. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

20 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Saw a quote on the Twitter from McDermott: “The culture trumps strategy.”

Working to verify and contextualize.

But ... GAH.

Interesting quote from Sean McDermott: "We're trying to build a culture here.  The culture, to me, trumps strategy. That's what I believe in wholeheartedly. It doesn't mean we have choir boys, it means we have guys who love football and do things the right way for the most part"

I assume he means team culture but the strategy of what? team building, game planning, player development? 

For the record I think McD would be a good defensive coordinator but I don't think he's a good head coach. Giving play calling duties back and then watching the team trainwreck again coupled with bringing in a Rookie to the worst offense in football, it's just narrow minded and short sighted. 

19 hours ago, Hoss said:

This guy sucks. Give me Doug Marrone.

Marrone confuses me.  He's an offensive guy, but it's always strong or elite defenses that have made his teams go.  I want to think he's probably a guy who hires and delegates with his defensive coordinators, but he's definitely always been given a ton of talent on that side of the ball.

It's one game... at Lambeau.    Generally speaking, McD has squeezed as much out of this group as you can ask for.     He's not going anywhere.    This is season is all about the growth of Josh Allen... he's playing with ankle weights right now.     Surround Allen him with some modicum talent next year and lets see how McD does.

8 hours ago, shrader said:

Marrone confuses me.  He's an offensive guy, but it's always strong or elite defenses that have made his teams go.  I want to think he's probably a guy who hires and delegates with his defensive coordinators, but he's definitely always been given a ton of talent on that side of the ball.

Belichick is a defensive guy but thrives with elite offenses. Good head coaches are one dimensional.

4 hours ago, Hoss said:

Belichick is a defensive guy but thrives with elite offenses. Good head coaches are one dimensional.

He’s evolved over time though. They initially won on defense. We’ll see if Marrone is ever around long enough to see some change. My money’s on no since no one ever does anymore. 

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

It always amazes me that the Pats have been doing the same thing for 20 years, every single fan knows it and can see it, and nobody can stop it

I love how the other receivers are blocking(holding) before the ball is even thrown. Go NFL. Sell those jerseys.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.