2018 Winter Olympics

darksabre

Wait, what?

I thought you were a member of the Greatest Generation.

And that your great-grand-daughter (a nurse and a saint) painstakingly typed in your posts as you dictated them to her.

Well I do have a nurse and I do, uh, dictate to her, but we're not related.

Today is Hagen Kearney Day in Bradford. (There's a name for ya, Jo.) He was born in Buffalo but lived in Bradford until he was 8 or so, so he has all his WNY and NPA bases covered. Then the family moved to Colorado, as everyone does eventually. He's on the snowboardcross team. He's the great grandson of the founder of Zippo. Yep, it seems to take serious money to become an elite winter Olympic athlete.

Edited by PASabreFan

Millennials, ruining things since Baby Boomers decided they were. 

no us Gen xers just trying to create space between insufferable older brother and pain in the ass baby brother... :)

Don't worry, you guys are insufferable too. 

Can we all just agree that everybody's terrible?

Left my iPad at home so I couldn't put the game on.  Probably for the best...

I wish I belonged to a generation. Too young to be a Boomer and too old to be a Gen Xer.

I'm an in betweener as well. At 36 (soon to be 37) I'm kind of too old to be a millennial and I'm too young to be a Gen Xer. Being on the cusp of the two though I can safely point blame at them both for sucking while taking no responsibility for any of it myself. Yay me.

Well I do have a nurse and I do, uh, dictate to her, but we're not related.

Today is Hagen Kearney Day in Bradford. (There's a name for ya, Jo.) He was born in Buffalo but lived in Bradford until he was 8 or so, so he has all his WNY and NPA bases covered. Then the family moved to Colorado, as everyone does eventually. He's on the snowboardcross team. He's the great grandson of the founder of Zippo. Yep, it seems to take serious money to become an elite winter Olympic athlete.

I looked him up and he looks like a lion. A stoner lion. Awesome.

So if I was born in 89 and am a Millennial, what the hell are we calling all these gold medalist 17 year olds born after the actual Millennium? Zygotes? Toddlers? Wee ones? Gen Z? More successful in their short lives than I'll ever be? 

Dang. 

Edited by ABBA_älskare_69

I'm going skiing this weekend. The Olympics have me all jacked up. I haven't been on a mountain in 8 years. I just had to go buy new pants, poles and goggles. I can't friggin wait for Saturday. Hopefully I get some good pics to post.

My son is currently watching curling and yelling at the competitors. The kid won't watch hockey, football or baseball on TV, but he'll watch curling. Amazing.

I'm going skiing this weekend. The Olympics have me all jacked up. I haven't been on a mountain in 8 years. I just had to go buy new pants, poles and goggles. I can't friggin wait for Saturday. Hopefully I get some good pics to post.

My son is currently watching curling and yelling at the competitors. The kid won't watch hockey, football or baseball on TV, but he'll watch curling. Amazing.

I admit, it makes me wanna do curling again. Just haven't had much time this year when the opportunity has knocked.

I admit, it makes me wanna do curling again. Just haven't had much time this year when the opportunity has knocked.

The rink I play hockey at has a curling league. They have learn to curl and stuff like that. Idk, it just never interested me. I mean, I'll play shuffleboard if I'm drinking at a VFW, but that's about it. Now that I'm putting more thought into it, I'd probably like it. It's like shuffleboard, darts and bocce, with a bit of house cleaning thrown in. I like 3 of those things.

Finally getting some slalom. Giant slalom that is.

Watch their feet. Good GS skiers fire from one inside edge to the other so effortlessly. Upper body should be quiet.

Mikaela with an OK run. She's going to need to take more risks in her second run if she wants a medal.

Edited by ubkev

Watch their feet. Good GS skiers fire from one inside edge to the other so effortlessly. Upper body should be quiet.

Mikaela with an OK run. She's going to need to take more risks in her second run if she wants a medal.

Good tips. I like trying to figure out the techniques.

Nobody watching USA Canada?

Canada just got a goal called back. Don't really think it should have been.

I'm watching it and am shocked at how terrible women's hockey is to watch...simple D to D passes that are whiffed on...pucks clanging off sticks constantly...easy passes missed...its honestly dreadful...I've seen better high school games than this...women's soccer is awesome but women's hockey is so far inferior to men's hockey its ridiculous Edited by matter2003

Nobody watching USA Canada?

Canada just got a goal called back. Don't really think it should have been.

I agreed with the call.  It was the second Canada player sliding into the crease on her own that I thought sealed the deal.  It created a situation where the first player who was pushed in could not get out of the crease.

I watched the first two periods and then went to sleep.  

I don't expect women's hockey to look like men's hockey.  The lack of checking makes a significant difference.  The women's game has been growing tremendously and the skill of the younger ages is evident.  Right now I think the overall talent pool is not elevated and as such there are some players who don't have the same hockey sense/skill as there will be in the future.  As that happens I would expect the level of the game to go up.  You can already see it when some of the top players are out there.

I agreed with the call.  It was the second Canada player sliding into the crease on her own that I thought sealed the deal.  It created a situation where the first player who was pushed in could not get out of the crease.

I watched the first two periods and then went to sleep.  

I don't expect women's hockey to look like men's hockey.  The lack of checking makes a significant difference.  The women's game has been growing tremendously and the skill of the younger ages is evident.  Right now I think the overall talent pool is not elevated and as such there are some players who don't have the same hockey sense/skill as there will be in the future.  As that happens I would expect the level of the game to go up.  You can already see it when some of the top players are out there.

What I saw of the women's game last night looked very good. Fast and physical. They could have allowed checking in that matchup and I wouldn't have been terrified someone was going to get murdered. I was very entertained, which says something for the talent level of the marquis matchup that is USA vs Canada. 

I hope the game keeps growing so that it becomes more entertaining for the average person when teams other than the best of US and Canada are playing. I like watching college and the pro leagues because I enjoy the game in the pure form without checking, but I know that isn't for everyone. 

We need the pro leagues to survive if we ever want things to be more fun to watch. Give the women more opportunity to extend their playing careers and the entertainment value will go up over time. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.