2018 Winter Olympics

darksabre

Figured I would start a thread for general discussion. Competitions started tonight (mid-morning in South Korea). Opening ceremony I believe is going to be on tape delay tomorrow night unless you want to watch it live at like...6am tomorrow.

As far as watching the Olympics, we don't have cable TV so I opted to subscribe to YouTube TV. It's $35/mo, no contract, lets you stream on multiple devices. It's a 7 day trial and then the subscription bills, so if it doesn't work for you at least you got a free week of Olympics streaming out of it.

Think I'll play a drinking game (with water, hydration not death!) with the games this year. Every time a Super Wealthy White Person New Age Name that denotes a crunchy granola gluten free upbringing comes up- drink! 

Examples include: Sage. Bryce. Bryson. Basil. Jaden. Aiden. Cayden. Tucker. Mikaela. McKenzie. Mc-anything feminine. Ainsley. Jasper. Ashley (on a guy). Quinn. Preston. Reston. Restaline. Botox. Boulder. Meadow. Forrest. Douglas Fir. Rock. Brock. Tripp. Tanner. Chip. Blayke. Tad. Logan. Hunter. Fisher. Spearer. Royce. Sterling. 

We were watching last night and they did a piece on luger Tucker something-or-other and the fact that his parents built a luge track in their backyard in CT. Then they talked about their full tennis court, and swimming pools with waterfalls and caves. Definitely a different profile than the "hardscrabble poor heartwarming" storylines you often get in the Summer Olympics! Made me think- to do winter sports, you def. need money. Are there any winter sports where that isn't true? Curling, maybe? Hockey's pricey, skiing's expensive, figure skating gets up there (trust me), I can't imagine luge/bobsledding being cheap- but maybe those are better because you split costs with teammates?

Think I'll play a drinking game (with water, hydration not death!) with the games this year. Every time a Super Wealthy White Person New Age Name that denotes a crunchy granola gluten free upbringing comes up- drink! 

Examples include: Sage. Bryce. Bryson. Basil. Jaden. Aiden. Cayden. Tucker. Mikaela. McKenzie. Mc-anything feminine. Ainsley. Jasper. Ashley (on a guy). Quinn. Preston. Reston. Restaline. Botox. Boulder. Meadow. Forrest. Douglas Fir. Rock. Brock. Tripp. Tanner. Chip. Blayke. Tad. Logan. Hunter. Fisher. Spearer. Royce. Sterling. 

We were watching last night and they did a piece on luger Tucker something-or-other and the fact that his parents built a luge track in their backyard in CT. Then they talked about their full tennis court, and swimming pools with waterfalls and caves. Definitely a different profile than the "hardscrabble poor heartwarming" storylines you often get in the Summer Olympics! Made me think- to do winter sports, you def. need money. Are there any winter sports where that isn't true? Curling, maybe? Hockey's pricey, skiing's expensive, figure skating gets up there (trust me), I can't imagine luge/bobsledding being cheap- but maybe those are better because you split costs with teammates?

We should call it the Whiter Olympics. 

I work with an Aynsley- yeah, double Y! 

I laughed at the second set of bolded names. Made me think of Prairie from The OA

This is quickly going to become the politics thread 2.0, isn't it

Only if/when the traditional biannual Olympics Controversy happens. The coin flip isn't it- too puny an issue.

Your choices include: Russia not competing(doping), N and S Korea combining as Korea, transgender athletes, figure skating judges being biased (wow aren't we all shocked, SHOCKED I tell you), what is and isn't a sport, lopsided advantages (think US/Canadian women's hockey vs all other teams), and Secret Bonus Round Yet To Come To Light! 

I'm here for good stories and being amazed at the evolution in tech/gear from 4 years ago to now. And body types.

Example: Lugers- My god, that stuff is awesome. The specialized pointed booties, the nails on the fingers, the uvex facemask that doesn't fog up (and the paintjobs on the helmets!). Skiiers- neoprene suits but I was trying to spy the padding/reinforcements on them. They were saying some of those skiiers bring 100 pairs of skis, minimum. Incredible- imagine the money!!! 

Body types- with downhill training runs last night, there were little short powerful meatballs and 6'5" 230# giants, equally matched for good times. I figured the sport would homogenize in body type, as most sports kinda do to each role (big defensemen, lithe little forwards, powerful legs on cyclists, etc). I'm endlessly fascinated by this stuff. Some of those lugers/bobsledders have healthy lookin' guts on them, too! Not the chiseled, svelte, 6packnobliques you visualize when hearing "Olympian".

And age! The top contender for slalom and downhill is a 37 year old 6'3" or something giant of a man. What are that guy's knees like? It's incredible. 

I work with an Aynsley- yeah, double Y! 

I laughed at the second set of bolded names. Made me think of Prairie from The OA

Wow. Aynsley. That's... that counts for sure. 

I forgot- d4rk and I discovered our new favorite name of the Olympics last night: Wylie Maple. 

Wylie Maple. Now that's a name. That's the name of a man who showed up in Deadwood, stole Wild Bill's girl, drank the best whiskey without spending a single coin, enthralled the inn owners, and rode out at daylight, leaving a legend behind.

Edited by ABBA_älskare_69

Example: Lugers- My god, that stuff is awesome. The specialized pointed booties, the nails on the fingers, the uvex facemask that doesn't fog up (and the paintjobs on the helmets!). Skiiers- neoprene suits but I was trying to spy the padding/reinforcements on them. They were saying some of those skiiers bring 100 pairs of skis, minimum. Incredible- imagine the money!!!

The skis are free. All provided by the US ski team. Slalom skis, giant slalom skis, super g skis and downhill skis. Then they will have the exact same ski and binding setup with different wax setups for different snow temperatures. That way they don't have to scrape down, brush, wax, scrape and brush every single time the weather conditions change, just switch skis.

I raced with one of our Olympians all through junior high. I'll name him when he brings home another medal.

The skis are free. All provided by the US ski team. Slalom skis, giant slalom skis, super g skis and downhill skis. Then they will have the exact same ski and binding setup with different wax setups for different snow temperatures. That way they don't have to scrape down, brush, wax, scrape and brush every single time the weather conditions change, just switch skis.

I raced with one of our Olympians all through junior high. I'll name him when he brings home another medal.

Neat. d4rk n I  figured that was the case- different snow conditions and then multiples of each in case of problems/damage. They were talking about the Austrians in this case- but I'm sure it's similar. Still though. Sponsors, teams, etc- the money. It just blows my mind. Even to just get a start in the sport. 

Friend of mine babysat one of the Canadian snowboarders when he was little... he grew up skiing/boarding down in Ellicottville. 

I've only ever known one Olympian. Gold medalist in Beijing- sailing- Joanna Tunnicliffe. My mother knew Scott Hamilton growing up. 

it's true, most of the winter sports would be costly and also require you to either live or travel to certain areas to train. Hard to get into luge or bobsled living in Saskatchewan (flat prairie land). Cheapest sport might be curling or speed skating. But how many areas have those facilities to train in? You can train almost anywhere to be a runner or swimmer.

An acquaintance who went to school with my wife has a daughter in the US Olympic shooting program. She is in the very top tier of girls in her discipline, and is the youngest on the team. The amount spent on equipment is incredible. I have a good job, as does my wife, and I don’t think I could stomach spending the money they have spent to put her in competitive equipment and travel to the national level matches necessary to develop her talent.

I’m not sure most middle of middle class families can afford the commitment necessary to develop Olympic level talent.

Is there any daytime coverage of events at all?

And this guy can go piss up a rope.  It's a coin toss; there is nothing inherently unfair about it and it has nothing to do with his race.

And this guy can go piss up a rope.  It's a coin toss; there is nothing inherently unfair about it and it has nothing to do with his race.

There are no daytime events to cover. It's 3am there. Morning events should be starting around 6pm here. 

Doesn't seem to be any.

NBC Olympic Sports Mix ru s from 12:30AM - 6:00AM.

There are no daytime events to cover. It's 3am there. Morning events should be starting around 6pm here. 

I didn't necessarily mean live.  It's not like we get much live Olympic coverage in the US anyway.  I'd like to watch the mixed doubles curling from yesterday, for example.

I didn't necessarily mean live.  It's not like we get much live Olympic coverage in the US anyway.  I'd like to watch the mixed doubles curling from yesterday, for example.

Ah, got ya. I think YouTube TV lets me watch previous event coverage. I'll have to check when I get home later. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.