2018 Winter Olympics

darksabre

I hate figure skating scoring. It’s a direct result of all the people whining about it being too subjective and not quantitative or sport enough.

You are better off attempting a quad or triple and falling on it than if you change it to a lesser jump and land it beautifully.

Currently, the Russian and the Canadian both fell on their butts a couple times and baubled simple elements but because they had quads included in their programs, they will win over the perfect, flowing program Rippon skated.

A quad-triple toe loop is 14 points, and if you fall on it, one point deduction. I see the idea- incentive to push the sport. We have people doing quints after all. But I think the heart of figure skating is good form, figures (footwork), and flow. Rippon has that, and beautiful triples. But no quads.

Sorry. Former figure skater. Will get off my soap box now.

I hate figure skating scoring. It’s a direct result of all the people whining about it being too subjective and not quantitative or sport enough.

You are better off attempting a quad or triple and falling on it than if you change it to a lesser jump and land it beautifully.

Currently, the Russian and the Canadian both fell on their butts a couple times and baubled simple elements but because they had quads included in their programs, they will win over the perfect, flowing program Rippon skated.

A quad-triple toe loop is 14 points, and if you fall on it, one point deduction. I see the idea- incentive to push the sport. We have people doing quints after all. But I think the heart of figure skating is good form, figures (footwork), and flow. Rippon has that, and beautiful triples. But no quads.

Sorry. Former figure skater. Will get off my soap box now.

Sorry, events that are judged are not sports - but they ab-so-friggin-lute-ly can ve athletic.

It appears that figure skating figured this out, but going to "objective" judging vs subjective judging doesn't improve the situation. It merely creates opportunities to game the system. As you just pointed out.

What a crazy amazing performance by Red Gerard, a 17 year old American, who just won the USA first Gold this year in Men's Slopestyle Snowboarding.  Simply amazing performance to stick everything on your 3rd and final run after wiping out on your two previous runs.

When I was 17, I couldn't find my a$$ with both hands - and I know I would never have the cojones to even attempt some of those crazy aerial stunts. This kid is awesome! Then, the next day he's seen hanging out watching the women's slopestyle, wearing a cool pair of sunglasses and chilling (literally) with his compatriots. In South Korea. Very cool. The furthest away from home I was at 17 was Montreal. (Heavy sigh B-))

Even since I was a kid: why are there style points in Ski Jumping? Whomever gets furthest down the hill wins, full stop.

Can't agree more.  (Except that if the skier falls, the run shouldn't count, like a zero score, no matter how far she went.)

Edited by Eleven

Can't agree more. (Except that if the skier falls, the run shouldn't count, like a zero score, no matter how far she went.)

It's the only skiing event in the Olympics that I don't feel that I could score accurately.

Oh and men's moguls today was freaking great. The best technical skiers in the Olympics and on any mountain.

It's just a matter of time until the Olympics are permanently cancelled. It's just not something that makes much sense in this day and age where global competition is the norm and not just a once in every 4 year's event.

Really?  How often do you see luge on TV?

Why do they call them, the Olympic athletes of Russia? Is it something political?

Russia was banned from competition because of doping scandals so they wanted to punish their athletic federation but not the athletes. 

Edited by SwampD

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.