Phil with the money quote on Jack: "He made a decision about coming to play"

PASabreFan

"I think Jack has done a great job going back maybe 20, 25 games where he made a decision about coming to play and playing the right way and playing at both ends of the ice."

http://buffalonews.com/2018/01/23/sabres-notebook-antipin-happy-in-nhl-beaulieu-sent-home-eichel-vs-mcdavid/

After Jack's early-season slump ended in December, I wrote that such things couldn't become a trend in his career. That was off a bit. Of course he's going to have slumps, five points in 15 games or whatever. With this quote, Phil put his finger on what really can't become a trend and hopefully something we'll never see again out of Jack: a mental breakdown early in a losing season, a spitting out of the bit, a disconnect of the controller.

It's only been six weeks-ish, but it feels like years ago. I would venture to guess that THAT Jack is gone forever. I almost think of him as a college kid. The change from freshman to senior can be remarkable. He's finishing up his junior year now. The transformation is nearly complete. (cue the mad scientist music and the bwahahahahahas)

Edited by PASabreFan

It is obvious when he shows up with the right mindset. He lloks like a guy that a team would tank for when he brings his A game.

His play through the last quarter of last season, up until about Christmas this season was obviously not near what he was capable of doing. If he can sustain this, he’ll eatn yhat C

Now if they can just get 2 more scorers with hand and hockey sense.

I need speed on this team. No one can keep up with him and Ghule in the way players like that need. They have to play down. I don't need a bunch of Baptistes out there, all speed and no finish, but I need guys who can skate enough to support him..

http://buffalonews.com/2018/01/23/sabres-notebook-antipin-happy-in-nhl-beaulieu-sent-home-eichel-vs-mcdavid/

After Jack's early-season slump ended in December, I wrote that such things couldn't become a trend in his career. That was off a bit. Of course he's going to have slumps, five points in 15 games or whatever. With this quote, Phil put his finger on what really can't become a trend and hopefully something we'll never see again out of Jack: a mental breakdown early in a losing season, a spitting out of the bit, a disconnect of the controller.

It's only been six weeks-ish, but it feels like years ago. I would venture to guess that THAT Jack is gone forever. I almost think of him as a college kid. The change from freshman to senior can be remarkable. He's finishing up his junior year now. The transformation is nearly complete. (cue the mad scientist music and the bwahahahahahas)

Wouldn't that be something?

I'm not so sure, though. There's not too much of a track record, but isn't the slow/sleepy start followed by being a house of fire in the mid-winter his M.O. to date?

I think there's a chance that Eichel will always have some of that floating/disengaged outlook to his game (personality). The key for him, in becoming an elite player, will be to minimize the time when he's in that mode and figure out ways to shake out of it right quick.

Because of the issues with Jack in the past I still find myself watching the back end of the play when the opposition gets the puck and begins moving up the ice.  In the past we all knew he was not putting everything into it however I've not seen any of that lately.  

As is natural, when the puck is moving up the ice, there will be a separation in players.  As the opposition crosses the blue line and gaps tighten up I have been noticing that #15 is in the mix, regardless of where he started back on the rush.  He's been moving all over the ice as well.  It's wonderful to see.

What I think really seals the deal for him however is that his scoring has not declined but actually increased since he decided to play a more complete game.  So many players believe that if they focus on offense their scoring will increase and if they were to raise the focus on defense it will decline.  It's clearly not happening.  Pretty sure it took Ovechkin something like 8 seasons and 52 coaches before he decided to play that way.

It's wonderful to see because he will be the highest paid player and they'll want to give him the "C".  He's starting to look like he has earned it.

Did he not snap out of his funk right after the heart to heart Russ had with him?

:ph34r:

It wasn't a heart to heart. Russ was offering to purchase Jack's game-worn gear. Seriously, it's possible. We don't really know what it was all about. There was also that little man to man skate Phil had with him.

I think he snapped out of it when Housley had his private skate with him. 

When was that?

The thing that occurs to me: For as infuriating as this season has been, if HCPH's only meaningful achievement this season is to have mentored Eichel toward greatness, then he'll have accomplished more than enough.

When was that?

The thing that occurs to me: For as infuriating as this season has been, if HCPH's only meaningful achievement this season is to have mentored Eichel toward greatness, then he'll have accomplished more than enough.

Wasn't it something that happened in November sometime? 

He's been a completely different player ever since Moulson left. Now, get rid of Lehner and Kane, and we're golden

Moulson’s last game with the Sabres was 12/1 (he had no points in 14 games this year). He was waived on Dec 4

Jack’s season has been interesting. He has 12 pts (4g, 8a) in 12 games in Oct, but only 7 pts (3g, 4a) in 14 games from Nov and to Dec 1. Since the game on Dec 2nd (22 games) he has 13g 17a. He has been kept off the board in only 5 of the 22 games (all losses and that includes a lousy 3 game stretch to start Jan).

Maybe there is something to the Moulson being sent down. I also wonder what his production has been since he was finally uncoupled from Kane?

Eichel's production overall (2.7 pts/60 even strength) is better than with Kane (2.3). So, since Kane has been there a little more than half the time, without Kane is roughly 3.1/pts per 60.

The interesting number is Eichel with O'Reilly, 7 points in 44 minutes, or 9.6 pts/60.

All numbers not counting last night

Edited by utsvävande

Eichel's production overall (2.7 pts/60 even strength) is better than with Kane (2.3). So, since Kane has been there a little more than half the time, without Kane is roughly 3.1/pts per 60.

The interesting number is Eichel with O'Reilly, 7 points in 44 minutes, or 9.6 pts/60.

All numbers not counting last night

I wonder if that's because Eichel and O'Reilly only seem to play together on the PP.

If it was, then the stat wouldn't be recorded properly since it's per 60 minutes of even strength, right? Wouldn't that mean they threw out any PP/PK stats?

Just ignore me, I missed that. That's intriguing then; maybe a lesser version of putting Crosby/Malkin or Toews (?)/PKane on the same line to boost offense when needed.

Just ignore me, I missed that. That's intriguing then; maybe a lesser version of putting Crosby/Malkin or Toews (?)/PKane on the same line to boost offense when needed.

But I can't remember them playing together on the ice other than for the PP/PK so I'm still curious on whether that stat is accurate or not

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.