Phil with the money quote on Jack: "He made a decision about coming to play"

PASabreFan

http://buffalonews.com/2018/01/23/sabres-notebook-antipin-happy-in-nhl-beaulieu-sent-home-eichel-vs-mcdavid/

After Jack's early-season slump ended in December, I wrote that such things couldn't become a trend in his career. That was off a bit. Of course he's going to have slumps, five points in 15 games or whatever. With this quote, Phil put his finger on what really can't become a trend and hopefully something we'll never see again out of Jack: a mental breakdown early in a losing season, a spitting out of the bit, a disconnect of the controller.

It's only been six weeks-ish, but it feels like years ago. I would venture to guess that THAT Jack is gone forever. I almost think of him as a college kid. The change from freshman to senior can be remarkable. He's finishing up his junior year now. The transformation is nearly complete. (cue the mad scientist music and the bwahahahahahas)

This would be his senior year if he stayed at BU.

From my personal experience I was a much different player as a senior vs a freshman.    Bigger, stronger, faster... much much more confident.    You see glimpses of Eichel taking over a shift, dictating play... still need to see more of that and less of him just reacting to the play.   

Don’t be surprised if ROR becomes Jack’s Wing man in the next few years. With Mittelstadt and Asplund developing, they could very well be our centers by 2019.

So difficult to pencil guys into starting C spots before they get here... we really don't know how they'll react to the speed of the NHL game.

This would be his senior year if he stayed at BU.

From my personal experience I was a much different player as a senior vs a freshman.    Bigger, stronger, faster... much much more confident.    You see glimpses of Eichel taking over a shift, dictating play... still need to see more of that and less of him just reacting to the play.   

So difficult to pencil guys into starting C spots before they get here... we really don't know how they'll react to the speed of the NHL game.

You'd think the Sam Reinhart experience would've learned people about that.

Not to mention, Nathan Gerbe.

Cen-ters, cen-ters, that's our game, S-A-B-R-S. With a center here, a center there, here a center, there a ce ter, ev'rywhere a center. S-A-B-R-S. (Apologies to Sy Flembeck. :p )

You'd think the Sam Reinhart experience would've learned people about that.

Why does Sam’s failure at center in the NHL so far on an awful team have anything to do with the development of Mittelstadt and Asplund? I wrote we could move ROR to wing for Jack in a few years if guys like Mittelstadt and Asplund develop into our future centers. What does that have to do with Sam?

Why does Sam’s failure at center in the NHL so far on an awful team have anything to do with the development of Mittelstadt and Asplund? I wrote we could move ROR to wing for Jack in a few years if guys like Mittelstadt and Asplund develop into our future centers. What does that have to do with Sam?

I think he was agreeing with you.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.