GDT Rangers at Buffalo at Rangers, 1/1/18, 1pm, NBC / WGR

Eleven

I agree. They had a ###### start today, but played very well after that.

Points in eight of Lehner’s last 10 starts.

And they were very much in the two they didn’t.

If they were 4-1 in OT instead of 1-4 we’d be talking about the best stretch of Sabre hockey in years.

As it is, we aren’t talented enough, but Phil has them playing together now in his system.

Not going to fix this overnight.

We've been down this road many times. How to evaluate an "improving" team after they're out of the playoff race. Momentum has hardly ever carried forward to the next fall. The pressure is off and there's the question of what opponents are bringing ("looking past," backup goalies, etc.). Tricky spot for Botterill. I have to think he's going to more heavily weigh how some of the top players did when the season still could have been saved.

Don't let the final goal distract you from the fact that Jimmy is a diving weasel who cost us the game.

(Ya, my dislike of him is irrational. Oh well, sports fandom is irrational)

That's okay. Casey Mittelstadt and Brady Tkachuk took note and will avenge us.

We've been down this road many times. How to evaluate an "improving" team after they're out of the playoff race. Momentum has hardly ever carried forward to the next fall. The pressure is off and there's the question of what opponents are bringing ("looking past," backup goalies, etc.). Tricky spot for Botterill. I have to think he's going to more heavily weigh how some of the top players did when the season still could have been saved.

You aren’t wrong in the first part. But Botterill’s been pretty clear on development being a huge plank in his plan.

And there was a lot of stank that needed to be washed away.

You aren’t wrong in the first part. But Botterill’s been pretty clear on development being a huge plank in his plan.

And there was a lot of stank that needed to be washed away.

I'm worried that this means the main focus will be evaluation and development again next season. I can already hear the chorus of, "last season was about breaking poor habits, this new season is about mastering the system".

After all, it's tough to evaluate after a team has been effectively eliminated from the playoff race, as PA mentioned.

Every one of the Rags' goals was because a Sabre allowed someone to shoot the puck from within 8 feet of the net.

An area we don't get enough shots from ourselves.

My take on the game.........

Rangers did a phenomenal job of getting sticks in lanes and deflecting passes and shots.  Typical Rags.  Sabres need to learn this.

Buffalo's passing was much sloppier than the Rangers.  Rarely was a puck handled cleanly by a Sabre.  It greatly affected my next point.

Sabres didn't have the jump the Rangers had, and their breaks in on goal didn't seem as consistently dangerous as when the Rangers broke in on goal.  See above.

Jack still isn't coming up big on the biggest stages.  This is what we tanked for.

Robin's play was more than fine.  Henrik wasn't stopping that winning goal either.  Not that he ever was tested that grandly to know for sure.

I need Botterill to have a clear evaluation of his team by season's end, and make the changes he feels necessary going into next season. Next season I need to hear it being said from GM down to coach that the goal is to win. That winning is the main focus.

They are getting another free pass year this season, in a long line of free pass seasons. I can accept that, but no more.

I really wanted them to win this game today. In a lost season, this one mattered. It was the last one that mattered. We've had plenty of games as of late where the effort has been there, but I really wanted that breakout performance today. That game where they come out and play like they know it matters more than just another regular season game.

Instead we got a "normal" performance. That's just not going to move the needle for me emotionally. I needed more today.

It's about the goals he allows, everyone. NHL goaltenders won't allow goals that he does.

Lundqvist gobbles up every rebound. If Lehner could do that, overtime goal wouldn't have happened.

Lundqvist wouldn't have allowed the first goal, either.

No NHL goaltender would have allowed the 2nd goal.

The only way we'll receive anything in return for Lehner is if a team is desperate for a goalie and has ###### goaltending scouts

Sorry but I disagree with this post. That overtime goal was not was not on our goaltending. In fact our goaltending has been a strong point for awhile now.

I really wanted them to win this game today. In a lost season, this one mattered. It was the last one that mattered. We've had plenty of games as of late where the effort has been there, but I really wanted that breakout performance today. That game where they come out and play like they know it matters more than just another regular season game.

Instead we got a "normal" performance. That's just not going to move the needle for me emotionally. I needed more today.

That is my concern, although I voiced it against a specific player.  At some point someone has to step up in a big game.

Or not.

Edited by We've

Sorry but I disagree with this post. That overtime goal was not was not on our goaltending. In fact our goaltending has been a strong point for awhile now.

I will admit that it'd be unfair to put the overtime goal on Lehner, in isolation. I'd expect an NHL goaltender to control that rebound maybe a third (33.3%) of the time.

Problem is, Lehner will control that rebound nearly 0% of the time. Honestly, I don't think a lot of the people defending Lehner know much about goaltending. But that's just IMHO  :flirt:

Sabre notes:

In the last 12 games we are 4 wins 3 losses and 5 regulation ties

Lehner has only give up 3 goals in 1 on his last 10 games played

Our #1 problem from those stats is we are not scoring enough goals not a defense or goalkeeping issue

Jack's effort level and defense has kicked up big time in the last month

Bogosian coming back from another injury also coincides with the teams improved play of late

In a non-playoff team you can blow off the last 10 games of the season because no-one is taking you seriously

The Sabres improved play so far this year has been against teams that are fighting for playoff position no-one is blowing them off

4-3-5 last 12 games again

6-17-4 in prior 27 games

The eye test and losing only 3 games in regulation in their last 12 games show they are improving.

Reinhart with a hit albeit a weak one and a goal, hopefully that boosts his confidence. 

Risto's play also improving lately 

Power Play improving

4th line can't score but are controlling play

Negatives 

No 3rd line scoring

3rd pairing D is in desperate need of improvement

I understand where you're coming from.  However I saw a team down 2 goals, stayed with it and came back - had they won in OT, the feeling would be very different.  I think seeing a complete game is difficult given we're the less talented team most nights.  

I agree that this was the last game that had any meaning for this team so it was one I wanted too.  I also think this game represents the last meaningful game with the current roster - I can see moves being made now including Kane shortly after the all star game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.