DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

Eichel is going nowhere. There is a -1,000,000,000,000,000% chance he will be traded. And that might be too low  Plus he is injured so even if they wanted to which they don't, I don't believe they could trade him.

Kane was injured when you guys traded for him???

Jets want no part of Beaulieu and the talk for Antipin is Petan and I wouldn't do this but we probably lose Petan to waivers this fall...

The Ducks won't give up Manson or Lindholm.

After these trades, people do realize this team will be even worse for 1 more year right?

I know he has to be traded but wow, next year is gonna really blow.

Why? Colorado turned it around in an off-season. LV didn't exist. We'll have cap space and we might even have a competent GM. We all know a 50% roster turnover is coming. Make the right choices and things can turn around and quickly.

That said our enemic pipeline, recent history and lousy current roster don't paint a very bright picture.

After these trades, people do realize this team will be even worse for 1 more year right?

If Casey stays in school and the Sabres draft outside of the top 4. I can pretty well guarantee we will all know the name Jack Hughes very early next season. I agree with you, next season could be worth skipping

Not necessarily?  

Yes, objectively Kane is a good player but he's been part of the team for three seasons now and we haven't won with him.  We're literally 1 point out of dead last again.

I think it's OK to try to something else.  And who else might we trade?  Poulliot - fine.  Gorges - fine.  Antipin - fine.  Lehner - fine.  Girgensons and Larsson - definitely fine.

We'll be adding Ullmark, Guhle, and Smith next year from Rochester.  Maybe Mittelstadt, maybe our 1st round pick from this year. Plus whoever we get in trades.  Or free agency.

The team could (and should) look a lot different and hopefully find some chemistry by next season.  We're clearing out some guys that have been here a while and have a few young, exciting players on the way.  The playoffs are definitely a stretch but the team could at least be fun next season.  And teams do turn around quickly these days.

Nash has been traded for a 1st, Spooner, a prospect (Lindgren), Belesky and a 2019 7th. Boston is really going for it.  Obviously the keys here are the salary dumps (Belesky and Spooner), although Spooner can be a productive player and the 1st and a prospect for Nash.  

I guess Kane should be in a similar ballpark.  He is younger, kills penalties and is certainly a more physical player.   

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Nash has been traded for a 1st, Spooner, a prospect (Lindgren), Belesky and a 2019 7th. Boston is really going for it.  Obviously the keys here are the salary dumps (Belesky and Spooner) and the 1st and a prospect for Nash.  

I guess Kane should be in a similar ballpark.  He is younger, kills penalties and is certainly a more physical player.   

I'd be content with a late 1st and a solid prospect.

Not necessarily?  

Yes, objectively Kane is a good player but he's been part of the team for three seasons now and we haven't won with him.  We're literally 1 point out of dead last again.

I honestly don't understand this logic unless we are willing to apply it to everyone on the roster.  Cuz we ain't won with 3 seasons of Jack either.  I think the goal is to improve the talent level of the team, and Evander has a relatively rare talent level.  I doubt we get an even level of talent back, let alone an improvement, when Kane is moved along.

I honestly don't understand this logic unless we are willing to apply it to everyone on the roster.  Cuz we ain't won with 3 seasons of Jack either.  I think the goal is to improve the talent level of the team, and Evander has a relatively rare talent level.  I doubt we get an even level of talent back, let alone an improvement, when Kane is moved along.

That's why I wrote the rest of my post.  We're losing a good 2nd line winger, but in the big scheme of things we could still be OK next year.  

And I do think it's conspicuous that Kane has never been on a playoff team.  Is he a guy you can actually build around?  Maybe he still could be but I'm fine trying something new versus giving him a 7 or 8 year deal.

That's why I wrote the rest of my post.  We're losing a good 2nd line winger, but in the big scheme of things we could still be OK next year.  

And I do think it's conspicuous that Kane has never been on a playoff team.  Is he a guy you can actually build around?  Maybe he still could be but I'm fine trying something new versus giving him a 7 or 8 year deal.

Yeah, and I don't know what to make of that either.  Is Kane the reason why Buffalo wasn't better?  I'm doubtful. Same with Atlanta.  And the Winnipeg team it became.  The current iteration of Winnie looks nothing like the team that initially moved there.  Admittedly, that does include Kane.  It's certainly possible though.

I still think we are hard pressed to say we'll be better with a skill set somewhat diminished compared to all the rest of that post, AND still having Kane's skills on the roster too.

Edited by We've

Yeah, and I don't know what to make of that either.  Is Kane the reason why Buffalo wasn't better?  I'm doubtful. Same with Atlanta.  And the Winnipeg team it became.  The current iteration of Winnie looks nothing like the team that initially moved there.  Admittedly, that does include Kane.  It's certainly possible though.

I still think we are hard pressed to say we'll be better with a skill set somewhat diminished compared to all the rest of that post, AND still having Kane's skills on the roster too.

But I'm not saying that.  I'm saying we *could* be.  There's a lot of roster turnover coming.  And teams can turnaround fast.  I literally led with "Not necessarily?"  

We're currently 1 point away from being the first NHL team to ever finish in 31st place.  Is there really no chance we'll be better off next season?

As for Kane, I was excited when we got him.  I even bought a t-shirt.  His stats are good, not great.  I do value talent more than intangibles but I'm also open to the idea that he's less valuable to a team than his stats indicate.

But I'm not saying that.  I'm saying we *could* be.  There's a lot of roster turnover coming.  And teams can turnaround fast.  I literally led with "Not necessarily?"  

We're currently 1 point away from being the first NHL team to ever finish in 31st place.  Is there really no chance we'll be better off next season?

As for Kane, I was excited when we got him.  I even bought a t-shirt.  His stats are good, not great.  I do value talent more than intangibles but I'm also open to the idea that he's less valuable to a team than his stats indicate.

I didn't think you were saying that.  I was just expanding a little.  Someone told me recently there are rules about these things. :P

As for your 2nd point, I sure HOPE we'll be better next season.  If the roster turns over 50%, we'll never know which changes were the ones that were key.  Not that it matters.  Better is better when it is all said and done.  I don't feel a need to identify the key changes that affected it as long as the team is consistently entertaining.

Edited by We've

So, we have the last big fish forward still standing, correct?

No moves of note from Anaheim, St. Louis, San Jose, Columbus, the Islanders, the Hurricanes, the Caps, the Flyers, Preds, Knights, Sharks, Flames, Stars, Kings and Avalanche.

I’ve tried to not get caught up in the hype, but the return on Nash and the number of potential suitors has got me a little amped.

Looks like the key to a good return is taking a bad contract.

Maybe Botts has played this well.

I didn't think you were saying that.  I was just expanding a little.  Someone told me recently there are rules about these things. :P

As for your 2nd point, I sure HOPE we'll be better next season.  If the roster turns over 50%, we'll never know which changes were the ones that were key.  Not that it matters.  Better is better when it is all said and done.  I don't feel a need to identify the key changes that affected it as long as the team is consistently entertaining.

I'll ignore how racist and homophobic your reply is and just stick to hockey.... :P

Regarding the bold, Jeremy White posted a chart this morning on Twitter that showed the Sabres were literally the least entertaining team in the league when you measure total scoring opportunities (for and against).  Just getting this team back to being fast and fun to watch would be a huge step up.

Roster turnovers can work wonders.  Adding dynamic skaters like Guhle and Mittelstadt could dramatically alter how the team looks.  Replacing Lehner with someone optimistic and confident like Ullmark would work wonders too.  I do think the Sabres are less than the sum of their parts right now and changing things up to find the right chemistry could work.

But I'm not saying that. I'm saying we *could* be. There's a lot of roster turnover coming. And teams can turnaround fast. I literally led with "Not necessarily?"

We're currently 1 point away from being the first NHL team to ever finish in 31st place. Is there really no chance we'll be better off next season?

As for Kane, I was excited when we got him. I even bought a t-shirt. His stats are good, not great. I do value talent more than intangibles but I'm also open to the idea that he's less valuable to a team than his stats indicate.

I'm not sure why, but I laughed pretty hard at this phrasing. Gallows humor, I suppose.

Ullmark/Enroth 

Guhle / Dhalin / RHD we get in Kane in trade.

Oloffson / Mittelstadt / Baptiste / Asplund / CJ smith / Nylander

This roster looks a lot like a colorado turnover.

Edit: added Nylander because I think the injury hit him hard and is still recovering.

I expect him to come flying out of the gates next year.

Edited by blåbär

If Casey stays in school and the Sabres draft outside of the top 4. I can pretty well guarantee we will all know the name Jack Hughes very early next season. I agree with you, next season could be worth skipping

And you'll be rooting for that one last high pick. And then again in 2020. And then again in 2021. And so on.

Per Incarcerated Bob

Exactly why Sabres waited to move Evander Kane — let Rangers set market with Nash move

As of this morning #Sharks #Blues #Wild #Flyers all involved. Flames had slight interest may circle back if other targets don’t workout

Sounds about right. I keep wondering if there is a larger type package in play here. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

And since the Flames were mentioned, go Philly, then go Flames. Those are the 2 I'd like to deal with anyways.