DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

Does O'Reilly plus a top prospect for Karlsson make sense from Ottawa's side?

Before labeling me a Chewbacca, points to consider:

--Ottawa can't afford to keep Karlsson, and the whole league knows it. Ottawa is not going to get everything it wants for him.

--O'Reilly is a hell of a player and is under contract through 2023, as opposed to 2019 for Karlsson.

--O'Reilly's actual cost--which means something to Ottawa--is less than his cap hit.

That’s mean, and I doubt it would work

I think if you want Karlsson here, you're talking ROR, Risto and a 2019 #1 for Karlsson and Ryan.

And if I were 100% sure that Karlsson's achilles was 100% healed, I would make that trade in a heartbeat.

I don't think Ottawa is going to get anything near that for him.  30 GMs know that Ottawa is desperate.  Kind of like how 30 GMs know Botterill is desperate to move Kane.

That’s mean, and I doubt it would work

You know the reference to you was tongue-in-cheek, right?

--Ottawa can't afford to keep Karlsson, and the whole league knows it.  Ottawa is not going to get everything it wants for him.

Unfortunately, this is flawed logic.  It only works when there's just one bidder.  Karlsson is an extremely valuable asset with many, many interested teams.  GMs won't stop outbidding each other because of Ottawa's situation.  Competition, alone, will drive his final price up.

I don't think Ottawa is going to get anything near that for him.  30 GMs know that Ottawa is desperate.  Kind of like how 30 GMs know Botterill is desperate to move Kane.

You know the reference to you was tongue-in-cheek, right?

If you talk with your tongue in your cheek don't you bite your tongue?

Unfortunately, this is flawed logic. It only works when there's just one bidder. Karlsson is an extremely valuable asset with many, many interested teams. GMs won't stop outbidding each other because of Ottawa's situation. Competition, alone, will drive his final price up.

Fair point if we are talking offseason. If Ottawa trades him now, though, it will not get max value for him.

Edited by Eleven

Per Craig Custance and Travis Yost Ottawa is talking to a third team to facilitate a contender taking on Karlsson. The third team would get Bobby Ryan.

Karlsson has to be going to a West coast team, or at least one that's not in our division. 

Also basically said there is little to no market for most of the Sabres UFAs

As it should be. Gorges will still get moved anyway.

I don't think Ottawa is going to get anything near that for him. 30 GMs know that Ottawa is desperate.

More truth to this some would care to admit, but, at minimum he will get what O’Reilly got, plus a real NHL player.

so does VGK.

I’d take a first for taking on Ryan.

Edited by Mick O’Manly

Darren Dreger on Evander Kane on The Instigators on WGR550 said there wasn’t a lot of interest in Kane until recently

Despite so many media reports saying the opposite and the fact that his own network's trade tracker had him at #1?  That's really a puzzling statement.  I am convinced that so many people talk about the flavor of the moment that they can't recall what they said 3 days ago.

Despite so many media reports saying the opposite and the fact that his own network's trade tracker had him at #1?  That's really a puzzling statement.  I am convinced that so many people talk about the flavor of the moment that they can't recall what they said 3 days ago.

I think Dreger is usually well informed. Frankly I'm willing to accept what he said and the interest in Kane has only now started to pick up. Kane's being #1 on a network trade tracker isn't relevant necessarily as to what GM's are doing or talking about. Huge gulf between sports media and what's actually happening often times.

Brassard is signed for another year

Exactly which makes his value greater than pure rental. That seems to being ignored by some Sabre fans. Kane's a rental and one known for getting in hot water from time to time although he's been good for awhile now.I would be surprised if we got a return equal to what Brassard fetched and he's a center to boot.

Bogo, Larrson and 2nd for Barrie? What are you smoking bro? That's a homer trade if i have ever seen one, send them our trash for their treasure. Not happening

And isnt that a gross overpayment for Domi?

Tavares wont come here ever.

Don’t think that’s an overpayment for Domi, nevermind of the gross variety. His stats look awfully similar to Reinhart, and the “plays on a bad team” arguments apply as well. Beaulieu is terrible, Baptiste will more likely than not NOT be a long term NHLer, and a 3rd is just that.

Would we trade Reinhart for Beaulieu, Baptiste and a 3rd, if those guys were on another team?

Sign me up for that Domi trade.

Darren Dreger on Evander Kane on The Instigators on WGR550 said there wasn’t a lot of interest in Kane until recently

So they’ve been wrong for months? Or they were deliberately fabricating information to generate clicks.

Sounds like the latter. So bogus.

Edited by Thorny