Gionta to the Amerks?

GASabresIUFAN

What a stroke of genius if it happens.  The News dropped this kernal of info in an Amerks preview article.  http://buffalonews.com/2017/09/30/amerks-confident-right-veterans-mentor-push-prospects/

The Roch native they say wants to stay in shape and go to the Olympics.  What a perfect scenario for Gionta, the Amerks and the organization.  Taylor gets a true leader for his dressing room.  Gionta gets to earn a check, play even closer to home while getting ready for the Olympics and the Sabres get great PR and the ability if we have a rash of major injuries to have a ready made and capable player waiting in the wings.  Maybe it will also be the start of Gionta's tutelage under Jbot for a future in Sabres management.   I just Love Love this idea.

Usually, I’d relish the thought of experienced veteran leadership on a team developing talent for the next level. However, I’m not convinced Gionta had the room’s ear in Buffalo. Didn’t we hear about rifts and division, especially around the coach and his game?

Now, that’s not necessarily the leader’s fault. Can we call Gionta a veteran leader who had mixed results in that role while in Buffalo?

Doesn't even an AHL contract block him from being able to go to the Olympics?  I still don't understand why team USA would even be interested in a player his age.

Yeah I was thinking the same re: AHL contract.  Unclear.  Amerks didn't carve out a hole in the schedule for it, games through Feb.

My best guess is coaching gig or consultant so he can skate w/ them and stay in shape.  Maybe Stephen Gionta though?  The homer in me likes a couple local boys on the team.

Doesn't even an AHL contract block him from being able to go to the Olympics? I still don't understand why team USA would even be interested in a player his age.

It's team USA Hockey. They love to ice a team that has absolutely no chance.

Yeah I was thinking the same re: AHL contract.  Unclear.  Amerks didn't carve out a hole in the schedule for it, games through Feb.

My best guess is coaching gig or consultant so he can skate w/ them and stay in shape.  Maybe Stephen Gionta though?  The homer in me likes a couple local boys on the team.

Stephen Gionta has a contract with the Islanders.

Vet rules

1 - AHL teams must dress a minimum of 12 skaters w 260 or less pro games (All 3 NA leagues, plus Euro leagues)

2 - AHL teams can dress a developmental player with 320 or less pro games.

3 - the remaining 5 skaters can have any amount of experience.

4 - rules don’t apply to goalies.

5 - the number of games is fixed at the beginning of the the season. For example Steve Moses has played 24 games in the AHL and 202 in the KHL. He therefore has 226 of pro experience and this is his number for AHL veteran rule purposes even if he crosses the 260 games threshold during the season.

Edited by GASabresFan

I think someone had it in the Amerks thread. Let me go look

It was GASabresFan

Sexton and Jbot are smart guys and it is already showing in some very subtle ways.  

I looked at our potential roster for the AHL to see who might slot where, thinking this would give me an idea of which vets we could send down to the AHL and play them.  The AHL is a developmental league and has veteran rules.  According to the AHL, each team can dress only 5 players with more then 320 pro game experience (including NHL, AHL, ECHL, KHL and other Euro elite league if the player was over 19), 1 player with more then 260 games but less then 320 and 12 players with 260 games or under.

The Sabres have 12 prospects that have under 260 games.  Bailey, Fasching, ERod, Baptiste, Cornel, Karabacek, Smtih, Nelson, Stephens, Martin, Guhle, Nylander, plus recent signees Danforth and Criscuolo.  Furthermore, and this is where Sexton and Jbot show their skills, they signed KHL vet Steve Moses.  Moses only has 228 games of pro experience, therefore can be slotted into one of the developmental slots.  Smart.

The Sabres two semi vets that slot into the 260-320 game catagory in Griffith (261) and Tennyson (283).

The Sabres have also inked 4 vets Porter and Paetsch (500 games plus each+), Fedun (331), and Josefson (338). plus have Goloubef (348) on a PTO.  

Granted prospects can take up all 18 skater slots each net, but it looks like the Sabres may have room to send 1-2 guys down and give them PT.  However with Paetsch, Fedun and Tennyson already slotted top play in the AHL, if anyone NHL vet gets sent down it will likely be a forward.  Delo maybe, but most likely Josefson if Reinhart is the 3rd line center.  Sorry to say Gorges and Moulson and their 8.9 mill in unproductive cap space are destined for the Sabres.

Looks like if Griffith is making the Sabres, that opens up one of the semi-vet 260-320 game slots, which might be where this new dman fits in.

and Goloubef was released and didn't make the team.

Vet rules

1 - AHL teams must dress a minimum of 12 skaters w 260 or less pro games (All 3 NA leagues, plus Euro leagues)

5 - the number of games is fixed at the beginning of the the season. For example Steve Moses has played 24 games in the AHL and 202 in the KHL. He therefore has 226 of pro experience and this is his number for AHL veteran rule purposes even if he crosses the 260 games threshold during the season.

Funny.  That bolded line is key here since he's at 320 exactly.  is there some specific meaning to "developmental player" there?  It's not used in the other lines.

Funny.  That bolded line is key here since he's at 320 exactly.  is there some specific meaning to "developmental player" there?  It's not used in the other lines.

The AHL is a developmental league and all players with 320 games or less are “developmental” players.

Currently in AHL camp the Sabres have only 11 of our own drafted or UFA signed prospects all have 260 games or less.

Forwards: Bailey, Fasching, Baptiste, Malone, Nylander, CJ Smith, Cornel, Karabacek and Muzito-Bagenda

Defense: Nelson and Guhle

Note: if ERod gets sent down he’ll be a 12 prospect with 260 games or less.

We also have two legit FA prospects forwards Blackwell and Criscuolo (both are under 260 games)

The remaining guys are mostly AHL vets who can be divided into 3 catagories.

1) Vets w 260 or less games

Forwards: Moses, Krause, Ross, Gill

Defense: none

2) Vets w 320 or less

Forwards: Dalton Smith (and Griffith if sent down)

Defense: Redmond, MacWilliam, Allen, Goers and Tennyson (if sent down).

3) vets over 320

Forwards: Porter

Defense: Paetsch, Fedun and Falk (if sent down).

Depending on who makes the team, the only real vets on the team are Porter, Fedun and Paetsch. Gionta might just have a slot.

Vet rules

3? :huh:

Since the IHL folded a few years ago, & (last I checked) there are more "minor" hockey leagues than just the ECHL, how do they get to 3 NA leagues? :unsure:

(The ECHL added a bunch of midwest/ Rocky Mt teams a year ago when the league that Rapid City was in folded; didn't believe they swallowed all their competitors.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.