Training camp questions #9: stud or dud? What do you expect from Alex Nylander?

dudacek

Mostly what Dudacek said. I think he's a mid-season call-up, gets time with skill, and doesn't go back down.

That said, even if he develops and plays like I think, his style is such that plenty of fans will still hate him. Soft, skilled wingers aren't exactly a Buffalo favorite.

Well, I think Pommer and Vanek were pretty well liked (albeit not without some critics). Consistent production goes a long way.

Well, I think Pommer and Vanek were pretty well liked (albeit not without some critics). Consistent production goes a long way.

Yup. Mogilny was loved for the most part. Until his "fear of flying" showed up anyway. And noone called the French Connection, Donnie Luce, or Stu Barnes plumbers.

I think you're underestimating the criticisms they faced. There's a reason the Vanek Face meme took off! Lazy, overpaid, soft can't win with 'em. Meanwhile, the Matt Barnabys of the world are still revered. Buffalo fans love em some grit n grind. This is one area where I, *gasp*, agree with PA.

You can be great and soft, you can be bad and gritty, but lord help you if you're merely very good and soft.

I think you're underestimating the criticisms they faced. There's a reason the Vanek Face meme took off! Lazy, overpaid, soft can't win with 'em. Meanwhile, the Matt Barnabys of the world are still revered. Buffalo fans love em some grit n grind. This is one area where I, *gasp*, agree with PA.

You can be great and soft, you can be bad and gritty, but lord help you if you're merely very good and soft.

Do you guys remember that time Ted Nolan friggin' put Barnaby at center between May and Ray?  The hard-hat wearing denizens of the 300 level ate that nonsense up.  Also, remember the hard hats?  Cringey to look back upon now...

We could use a Brad May on this team.....................but I digress :)

For me, Nylander has all the speed you need, perfect for this new nhl and in an up tempo system he could be a perfect fit. What I saw lacking last year was the ability to finish and a skittishness around the net like he was a little afraid to get too close to the opposing D. If he gets a little bigger and stronger and moves into the crowded areas a little more he might be alright, but it is still a big IF.  

He only played one game of the prospects tournament but he wasn't effective. Maybe he was already injured.

I find he has awesome hands and could probably do the Patrick Kane drill with 50 pucks to dangle around and not touch any.

However, he tries to beat more than one guy and ends up losing the puck or being in a bad spot to dish off. He needs to move his feet more, give and go and then dangle through one guy if necessary. Perreault used to go end to end a few times a game, but that is not today's type of play where all of these guys can all skate pretty well. It also doesn't endear you to your teammates when you try to do it all yourself while they are busting their butts to get open.

He's still young and developing, I think he gets there eventually.

Nylander is still too careless and nonchalant with the puck and he lacks a sense of urgency when he turns it over... typical traits of a young player, he should figure it out eventually.

This is an excellent analysis. I was critical of the kid last year but as you say, typical young player. He took bulking up seriously so that's a plus. I have no doubt that he'll eventually get the whole puzzle figured out and be somewhat near what most Sabres fans expect him to be.

Curious, why do you think so?

Did you see the 3-3 tourney? Asplund was great, Mittelstadt really good, Nylander JAG. 3-3 is totally his game, it's not like trying to judge Fasching or Ryan O'Reilly, who don't play a 3-3 game.

Last week at the prospect challange, JAG. I'm not totally sure without highlights, but I think he steps on a puck and falls down. Runs squarely into his own defenseman in his own zone. Yes he has a burst of speed.

My drafting charts have him, at age 17, at 9th best forward in his class, 13th best overall.

At age 18(his AHL season) 25th best forward, 30th best overall.

Yes, good numbers at the WJC20 last year, but Sweden was in a bracket with really bad teams. I think those numbers need to be looked at with a bit of 'yeah, but'

I think the world tends to look at high draft choices and their teams from their perspective, I try to value players vs. other players, and so far, Nylander doesn't compare well.

My issue with Alex isn't that he won't make the team and isn't ready yet, it's that I've never watched him and been impressed with what I saw, even once. I was impressed with his stats at WJC but outside of two rushes his game in the tournament wasn't special. Any Rochester game I saw he was either bad or invisible, any training camp or prospect scrimmage the same.

Mittelstadt, Asplund, Pu, and Guhle are all guys that surprised me in a good way when I saw them play the FIRST time and many times since. I've never had that with Alex.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.