Duchene to Sabres?

sweetlou

It screws our cap if you do it. Better to have the cheap talent. 

This. We need to take advantage of gaining top tier production out of bottom tier salaries if we ever want to make a serious push for the Cup. Bringing in Duchene would essentially cost us Kane next season (2018-2019) and then we wouldn't have any blue chip help coming in from the farm. Sure guys like Pu and Asplund should be able to contribute in the coming years but they don't have the ceilings that Nylander and Mittelstadt do.

I wouldn't trade 2 sub 20 year olds on a rebuilding team for a 26 year old about to hit UFA status. That is just a bad plan in the cap world. Especially when your star is only 20.

One minor point.... If you are trading for Duchene you arent a rebuilding team. You are a win now team.

I think we should be considered a win now team. Not sure I'd make the trade though.

One minor point.... If you are trading for Duchene you arent a rebuilding team. You are a win now team.

I think we should be considered a win now team. Not sure I'd make the trade though.

Brand new GM, brand new HC, and #2, #2, #8, #8 picks in the last 4 years, and we're a win now team?

I love his offensive skill, but he's a liability as reflected in his negative TRpm on a BAD team.      Meaning his team was slightly worse with him on the ice than it was with him off the ice. 

If BUF needed a boost to their power play, then it might make more sense, but they don't.

Edited by pi2000

Brand new GM, brand new HC, and #2, #2, #8, #8 picks in the last 4 years, and we're a win now team?

We need to become one quick. No sense in waiting 3 years to make the push. At that point Okposo will be 32 and in decline, Kane may be long gone, and O'Reilly will be 29 and likely starting to decline.

We need to become one quick. No sense in waiting 3 years to make the push. At that point Okposo will be 32 and in decline, Kane may be long gone, and O'Reilly will be 29 and likely starting to decline.

I think you need to make the playoffs this year, then you are a win now team in the next 2-3 years

There's a reason Duchene hasn't moved yet, and it's because it would cost us 

Nylander + Risto + ??

And no, that's not an exaggeration 

Are you kidding me...it would not take that much to get Duchene.  He clearly is not going to sign an extension with Colorado and he becomes a UFA in two years.  Colorado is rebuilding and they want to save money and build for the future.  

Remember last year how Hall got traded from Edmonton to Jersey for Larsson.  

That is like us getting Duchene for McCabe.  

So this proposal is a lot better for Colorado then what Edmonton got, and I would argue that Hall is better then Duchene.

no we aren't. Win now teams are teams like Washington where their star player is in his mid to late 20's and you are only going to get peak production from them for another 3-5 years so you have to take your shot. Eichel hasn't even reached his peak. We are a rebuilding team. We should take a good step this season that we would have taken last year if Dan Bylsma didn't suck and Jack didn't get Zemgused.

In Washington's example, their stars are 29, 31, and thus entering years where their production may start to drop. They are in win now. ROR is only 25 and Jack is 20.  We aren't in win now mode. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Are you kidding me...it would not take that much to get Duchene.  He clearly is not going to sign an extension with Colorado and he becomes a UFA in two years.  Colorado is rebuilding and they want to save money and build for the future.  

Remember last year how Hall got traded from Edmonton to Jersey for Larsson.  

That is like us getting Duchene for McCabe.  

So this proposal is a lot better for Colorado then what Edmonton got, and I would argue that Hall is better then Duchene.

Darren Dreger this week noted Sakic’s asking price is “definitely the holdup,” and that “the ask depends on the team that Joe Sakic is negotiating with, or the team that has expressed interest. I’ve heard that it’s been as high as a couple of first-round picks, or at least a first-round pick and a former first-round draft pick who’s now a young NHL prospect, and then some and then some.”

Dreger indicated that he didn’t blame Sakic for a second, and that the GM was “holding on to a blue-chip asset.”

Dreger | Mother lode contract did not materialize for Shattenkirk

The most specific description of Sakic’s believed asking price came from Bob McKenzie in February, nearly a month before the trade deadline.

“Everybody knows the price of poker,” said McKenzie at the time. “That is either three high-end pieces or four high-end pieces. By high-end pieces we mean this:

“If it’s three high-end pieces, we’re talking about a player that’s established in the NHL already – between 20-24 years of age – as well as a first-round pick, as well as a top prospect.

“If the young NHL isn’t established, if it’s all prospects, then the price goes up to those four high-end pieces.”

https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/friedman-reviews-dynamics-duchene-trade-situation/

I've been posting these articles for months, the asking price has been very well documented.

Hmmm...McCabe and their 2018 first-rounder for Duchene?

I think the Sabres would need to unload a real salary in the deal, so...

McCabe and Kane?

McCabe and Okposo?

McCabe, Okposo and the 2018 #1?

I don't think Colorado would accept any of the above.

And notice how Duchene is still in Colorado?? Until Sakic comes down in his asking price he will be stuck with Duchene until trade deadline of his UFA year. 

Would you be interested in Landeskog?

Well you're right, he won't be moved until the asking price comes down. But right now, that's what it would cost us.

Ultimately I think he comes down just a little, and Duchene is moved before the season starts.

And no, I do not want Landeskog. I want nobody from there outside of their top prospect, MacKinnon, and Barrie. 

Well you're right, he won't be moved until the asking price comes down. But right now, that's what it would cost us.

Ultimately I think he comes down just a little, and Duchene is moved before the season starts.

And no, I do not want Landeskog. I want nobody from there outside of their top prospect, MacKinnon, and Barrie. 

They have Cale Makar and Connor Timmins.... 

Hmmm...McCabe and their 2018 first-rounder for Duchene?

I think the Sabres would need to unload a real salary in the deal, so...

McCabe and Kane?

McCabe and Okposo?

McCabe, Okposo and the 2018 #1?

I don't think Colorado would accept any of the above.

I don't see any of these as good options for the Sabres.  I just wouldn't create a hole on defense just to have an offensive player somewhat better than Kane or Okposo.  In addition it's just getting that offensive player now vs waiting 2-3 years for talent we think is currently in our system. 

I don't see any of these as good options for the Sabres.  I just wouldn't create a hole on defense just to have an offensive player somewhat better than Kane or Okposo.  In addition it's just getting that offensive player now vs waiting 2-3 years for talent we think is currently in our system. 

Agreed. 

Ask yourself if this is something TM would do? If yes, then you don't do it.

The price for Duchene would have to include either Nylander and Mittelstadt. This is a price we shouldn't be willing to pay. We need value players to offset the high cost of TM's big contracts (Moulson, Gorges, Bogo, KO, ROR, Kane and Risto) and the future deals for Reinhart and Eichel.

Having a constant inflow of cheap, young talent is essential for long-term success. Pulling a TM and moving out out elite young talent to get another misplaced center doesn't seem like a smart move.

Ask yourself if this is something TM would do? If yes, then you don't do it.

The price for Duchene would have to include either Nylander and Mittelstadt. This is a price we shouldn't be willing to pay. We need value players to offset the high cost of TM's big contracts (Moulson, Gorges, Bogo, KO, ROR, Kane and Risto) and the future deals for Reinhart and Eichel.

Having a constant inflow of cheap, young talent is essential for long-term success. Pulling a TM and moving out out elite young talent to get another misplaced center doesn't seem like a smart move.

Agree. It is all based on evaluating when you expect your roster to peak. I expect that to be in 3-4 years so that would be a great time to have star players who can run with Eichel on the cheap.

Edited by jeffismagic

If it was a multi player deal centered on Reinhart for Duchene I would be all for it. Definitely not going to give them any promising D men as we are thin at best in that department already or McCabe. They can have a bunch of the never gonna be more than average guys we have going up and down from Rochester though. Not the kids. 

I would have to think he has a relationship with O'Reilly though and he might be involved in convincing him to sign a contract extension if they make a deal at all.