Duchene to Sabres?

sweetlou

I'd be curious if anyone else agrees with you. Personally I see it

I agree with everything Pokey says.

On a 5-5 per 60, Eichel scores less points with Reinhart than Eichel scores otherwise, Reinhart scores less points with Eichel than Reinhart scores otherwise.

Edited by rakish

On a 5-5 per 60, Eichel scores less points with Reinhart than Eichel scores otherwise, Reinhart scores less points with Eichel than Reinhart scores otherwise.

That doesn't mean we should give Reinhart + for Duchene

Wait a minute, I did not say anything like that.

But you gotta admit, Reinhart scoring fewer points with Eichel than without is an eyebrow raiser.

Raises mine. I do see some chemistry.

Then again, Jack has shown little of it with anyone so the comparables are hard to come by.

And Sam seems to show it with everyone. He's just so good at finding people and spaces.

Edited by dudacek

See the key to that is that Eichel scores less, not Reinhart. 

Good stats, good post

The key is that Reinhart shouldn't be a winger.

Well yeah, but you would think Eichel away from Reinhart would be worse, not better. Reinhart makes sense at least, he probably plays with RoR when he's not with Jack. But Jack? If he's not playing with Reinhart, who is over there for him?

Well yeah, but you would think Eichel away from Reinhart would be worse, not better. Reinhart makes sense at least, he probably plays with RoR when he's not with Jack. But Jack? If he's not playing with Reinhart, who is over there for him?

Okposo? Bailey? Any player better at digging pucks out of the corner

Okposo? Bailey? Any player better at digging pucks out of the corner

I really wanted Okposo to play with Jack last year, but he never did. Thinking about it now I think he's too slow, but that's besides the point

Edit: WHERE THE HELL DID puckalytics GO????

Edited by WildCard

Think of all those things we rarely saw:

Girgs at wing on a scoring line

Girgs at wing on a checking line

Eichel on O'Reillys wing

O'Reilly on Eichel's wing

Okposo on Eichel's wing

Eichel with Rodrigues

Eichel with two speedsters

Kane Ennis O'Reilly

Okposo on Reinhart's wing

Reinhart at centre

Moulson with Eichel and a fast guy

All things that had worked at some time or at least seemed worth trying.

“Hey guys, we’re still wondering what the hell is going on with Matt Duchene in Colorado,” noted the Insider. “I can’t excuse the possibility of Montreal having still a fair bit of interest in Duchene. Nashville told me yesterday that they haven’t talked to Colorado in quite some time – a long time, is what I was told from the Preds’ management. You look at the Columbus Blue Jackets as a potential fit for Duchene as well, but why wouldn’t Montreal still have some interest. The rumor and the connection has been there over the past several months. Well if they do still have some interest, then obviously Bergevin and the Habs have the flexibility to make that work.”

The general sense has been that the Canadiens no longer have the young defensive stud that Joe Sakic seeks in exchange for Duchene since the GM dealt Mikhail Sergachev to the Tampa Bay Lightning for Jonathan Drouin , but we’ll see.

Should be of no surprise that Sakic has screwed this up

https://www.fanragsports.com/dreger-what-the-hell-is-going-on-with-matt-duchene-in-colorado/

Here's my thoughts:

I think Buffalo has too many 3-6 defenders. If one assumes that Ristolainen and Scandella are the top pair, that leaves a log jam of 6 viable players fighting for the remaining 4 roster spots:

McCabe

Bogosian

Antipin

Beaulieu

Gorges

Guhle (Might not project out to a 3-6 in the future, but that's where he fits now.)

NOT GOING ANYWHERE

Antipin can only go back to Russia if he doesn't make the Sabres roster. I have a feeling he will land nicely on the 2nd line, and worst case scenario; they will find a place for him on the 3rd line or press box.

I think Bogosian will make a very solid 2nd line defenseman. I am basing this on his past, and the fact that there is a new coach/system, and with a little depth, he will not be asked to do too much. With his contract, he is not going anywhere.

VIABLE BUT NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO LEAD A TRADE

I see Gorges as the 7th guy.

Beaulieu should be a competent component on the 3rd pair.

HAS TRADE VALUE

I think Guhle put on enough of a show where they are going to want to get him up to their 2nd pairing. I don't think they will trade away this asset. After he seasons for a little bit in Rochester, he will get the call-up.

I can see McCabe being part of a trade to get Duchene. He will show well under Housley and a before the trade deadline, this will go down. McCabe and either a 1st or 2nd, or a high ranked prospect not named Middlestadt, to Colorado for Duchene.

I am not gaga over Duchene, but this roster needs someone else in their top 6. Duchene fills a void and although I believe McCabe is a valuable piece to Buffalo, you have to trade someone who is wanted.

Again, just my two cents.

Here's the issue with trading McCabe for Duchene.  In 1-2 years the Sabres have the very real possibility of Mittelstadt, Nylander, Asplund, and an unnamed prospect being a top 6 player. The Sabres for TOP 6 defenders, not top 4 just top 6 have Guhle waiting in the wings, and that is it. There is almost no depth behind him. Trading away a 23yr old McCabe for a 26yr old Duchene when I can replace Duchene's production within in 2 years with prospects is a terrible way to build a team. We barely have defensive depth and trading any of it away is foolhardy considering the prospects we currently have. 

NOT GOING ANYWHERE

Antipin can only go back to Russia if he doesn't make the Sabres roster. I have a feeling he will land nicely on the 2nd line, and worst case scenario; they will find a place for him on the 3rd line or press box.

I think Bogosian will make a very solid 2nd line defenseman. I am basing this on his past, and the fact that there is a new coach/system, and with a little depth, he will not be asked to do too much. With his contract, he is not going anywhere.

HAS TRADE VALUE

I think Guhle put on enough of a show where they are going to want to get him up to their 2nd pairing. I don't think they will trade away this asset. After he seasons for a little bit in Rochester, he will get the call-up.

I can see McCabe being part of a trade to get Duchene. He will show well under Housley and a before the trade deadline, this will go down. McCabe and either a 1st or 2nd, or a high ranked prospect not named Middlestadt, to Colorado for Duchene.

I think there exists a very likely scenario where Guhle outplays Antipin in camp/preseason.    Antipin I just don't see having much success on a smaller ice surface where his lack of size will be a detriment in the d-zone.     

Here's the issue with trading McCabe for Duchene.  In 1-2 years the Sabres have the very real possibility of Mittelstadt, Nylander, Asplund, and an unnamed prospect being a top 6 player. The Sabres for TOP 6 defenders, not top 4 just top 6 have Guhle waiting in the wings, and that is it. There is almost no depth behind him. Trading away a 23yr old McCabe for a 26yr old Duchene when I can replace Duchene's production within in 2 years with prospects is a terrible way to build a team. We barely have defensive depth and trading any of it away is foolhardy considering the prospects we currently have. 

Your logic is sound -- not too far off from the "we cannot trade Kane because we don't have the depth" argument. But, would you be surprised if Kane was shipped off?

I am not advocating trading McCabe. I love him as a player and I think he will have a good year. However, I could see it happening. I am pointing out that even though there are depth issues, there is an abundance of 2nd and 3rd line defenders. I think something will give there and it is a situation where some of that depth just can't be moved.

I think there exists a very likely scenario where Guhle outplays Antipin in camp/preseason.    Antipin I just don't see having much success on a smaller ice surface where his lack of size will be a detriment in the d-zone.     

I am excited about Guhle and I hope he outplays Antipin. There was a thread started here about how the 2018 draft class is loaded with defensive talent and a majority of those defenders are under 6'. Antipin will have to get used to smaller surface, but I see him being able to do it.

He straight up went to them and said offer me an RFA deal

Wasn't that when he was in Winnipeg though? Maybe he just hated that area or didn't like his teammates which is understandable given the track suit antics/animosity with Byfuglien.

Despite that, he signed a 6 year deal with them anyway so I think the whole Vancouver angle is overblown.