Duchene to Sabres?

sweetlou

Wow, you're just really misunderstood around here. The whole bringing-up-Kane-out-of-nowhere on this thread, followed by unsubstantiated rumors, accusations, and again questioned his work ethic.... I don't know. I'm not going to label whatever it is you have against him, but it seems pretty deep-seated.

Please don't go there.

This is just brutal

https://twitter.com/adater/status/908440028073926658

Hey, Duchene to Sabres.... is this a thing? < getting back on topic >

It's never been a thing really. 

“Before we get started, I want to say that I won’t be answering any questions. I’m here to honor my contract. I’m here out of respect for the fans. I’m here for my teammates. I had a great summer of training and I’m in good physical condition. So, thanks so much and I’ll see you in the next couple of days, OK?” - Duchene

http://bsndenver.com/awwwwk-waaaard-matt-duchene-appears-to-be-with-avalanche-in-body-only/

What an incompetent ass Sakic is. Just trade the guy already

Been a little over a year at this point I think. Friedman and others reporting Sakic has pretty much lost all credibility with his peers too

Well he let ROR go which was dumb from the start. He let Roy coach the team into the ground and force out players like ROR. Zadorov doesn't have a contract. Duchene is worth less than ROR was when he was traded (no offense Duchene, terrible team last year) and yet Sakic wants a top 4 LHD, top prospect, and a pick by all accounts. He should be happy if he gets a top 4 and a pick. Let's be honest, would anyone trade Reinhart, Guhle, and say a 2018 2nd for Duchene right now? Because that is my understanding of what Sakic wants. 

I think Sakic over played his hand trying to fix the ROR up and now other GM's aren't calling because he didn't negotiate fairly or with reasonable prices for the last year. 

I don't have links either but there was DEFINITELY discussions about potential locker room issues with the Sabres last year and they were centered around potential rifts between young and old players.  Anyone who was paying attention will remember these.  Talk about short and selective memories.

(Edit): found a link

https://thehockeywriters.com/sabres-showing-signs-of-locker-room-turmoil/

As for Kane, he has ALWAYS been known to play hard, he has NEVER been known for practicing hard, BIG difference.  Ultra competitive on the ice during games.  When you talk work ethic, you need to clarify whether you are talking about practice or games.  As for being a cancer or problem in the locker room, I think he was in Winnipeg, I have not heard he ever has been in Buffalo.

Lastly, on Duchene, I love the line that prospects become suspects.  To me, if you can get a proven top 6 forward, you go for it.  

Edited by Georgia Blizzard

I don't have links either but there was DEFINITELY discussions about potential locker room issues with the Sabres last year and they were centered around potential rifts between young and old players.  Anyone who was paying attention will remember these.  Talk about short and selective memories.

As for Kane, he has ALWAYS been known to play hard, he has NEVER been known for practicing hard, BIG difference.  Ultra competitive on the ice during games.  When you talk work ethic, you need to clarify whether you are talking about practice or games.  As for being a cancer or problem in the locker room, I think he was in Winnipeg, I have not heard he ever has been in Buffalo.

Lastly, on Duchene, I love the line that prospects become suspects.  To me, if you can get a proven top 6 forward, you go for it.  

Would you trade Reinhart, Guhle and a 2nd for Duchene?

Well he let ROR go which was dumb from the start. He let Roy coach the team into the ground and force out players like ROR. Zadorov doesn't have a contract. Duchene is worth less than ROR was when he was traded (no offense Duchene, terrible team last year) and yet Sakic wants a top 4 LHD, top prospect, and a pick by all accounts. He should be happy if he gets a top 4 and a pick. Let's be honest, would anyone trade Reinhart, Guhle, and say a 2018 2nd for Duchene right now? Because that is my understanding of what Sakic wants. 

I think Sakic over played his hand trying to fix the ROR ###### up and now other GM's aren't calling because he didn't negotiate fairly or with reasonable prices for the last year. 

Pretty much

Not a chance in hell

You can say that in theory, but it doesn't always work that way. Girgensen's best season was when he was a center. he showed promise in that role, then Bylsma ruined him. I'm fine with Reinhart as 3rd line center, I don't think he will be fine with that assignment. He will be disgruntled and see it as a demotion. If not, fine, but I don't see him as a top line winger. 

Do you think Nick Bonino felt like playing the 3rd line center was a demotion? Yes, he left for greener pastures, but do you think he'll see more success playing as a top line winger now versus what he did when he had the doughboy on his 3rd line in Pittsburgh?

Do you remember when Roy and Vanek were 3rd line players? Not a bad assignment. When the depth is there, there is nothing wrong with the 3rd line assignment. (I am not saying we have the depth, but there are two solid centers ahead of Sam -- he knows where he is on the center depth chart.

No.  I'd trade Reinhart, a 1st and 2nd for him or Guhle and a 1st and 2nd -- but not both Reinhart and Guhle

(Edit): I don't think the Sabres have the assets (Defenseman) that Colorado covets to pull trade off.  I also think too many posters think Sakic (as dumb as he is) will make another bone headed trade, I don't think he will.  It will cost us something big, i.e. Reinhart to get Duchene.  As much as I love Reinhart, Duchene is better.

I think Sakic over played his hand trying to fix the ROR ###### up and now other GM's aren't calling because he didn't negotiate fairly or with reasonable prices for the last year. 

How about Nylander, Guhle, Moulson and the 2018 #2?

Or Reino, Moulson and the 2018 #2?

Or Reino, Guhle, Moulson and the 2018 #2 for Duchene and Zadorov?

I would do any of those. 

No.  I'd trade Reinhart, a 1st and 2nd for him or Guhle and a 1st and 2nd -- but not both Reinhart and Guhle

(Edit): I don't think the Sabres have the assets (Defenseman) that Colorado covets to pull trade off.  I also think too many posters think Sakic (as dumb as he is) will make another bone headed trade, I don't think he will.  It will cost us something big, i.e. Reinhart to get Duchene.  As much as I love Reinhart, Duchene is better.

Why add to Reinhart ?  Duchene hasn't proven to be better than him.   If anything Duchene is the floor and Reinhart can be a lot better than him.

Why add to Reinhart ?  Duchene hasn't proven to be better than him.   If anything Duchene is the floor and Reinhart can be a lot better than him.

If you think Reinhart > Duchene then YOU wouldn't add anything to the deal.

I think Duchene is better, so, I'd be okay adding a 1st and 2nd

I think Reinhart has potential to be a top 6, but hasn't quite proven it -- I think a lot of that is the way DB mismanaged him the past 2 years -- but, having said that, I think Duchene is a slam dunk top 6 player -- so, to me, it's worth giving up a couple assets and Reinhart to get him

How about Nylander, Guhle, Moulson and the 2018 #2?

Or Reino, Moulson and the 2018 #2?

Or Reino, Guhle, Moulson and the 2018 #2 for Duchene and Zadorov?

I would do any of those.

It doesn't bother you that Duchene scored less than Samson last year already?

I'm worried about Matt, in the 5-6 Avs games I saw, he was bad. Like, a big part of why they were so bad

I'm worried about Matt, in the 5-6 Avs games I saw, he was bad. Like, a big part of why they were so bad

I think the Avs were a toxic environment -- I bet if Duchene is on Avs this season, he'll look really bad

I think they do.

Same. They don't have the depth to be a cup contender with it like those teams did, but they could absolutely try it out and they should, because quite frankly chemistry is going to dictate that we don't load our lines in the order from best player down to worst. 

And yet we'll still hear people complain all year that Pouliot or Girgensons or Rodrigues is on the "top line"

There are certainly reasons to be concerned about Duchene.  But as GB points out, the Avs were toxic last year, and Duchene has been a borderline NHL star for 8 years (7 if you don't want to include last year, which is reasonable).  He has 5 20-goal seasons (1 with 30) and 5 55-point seasons (2 with 67+).  He is a terrific skater and a Canadian Olympian, and is only 26.  I think getting him now would probably be buying him when his value is at its low point.

I have no desire either to give up on Reino before we see what he can do in a non-toxic environment.  But there have been lengthy stretches in which he's been completely ineffective.  He's also a below-average skater for an NHL forward and the Sabres need more speed.  They also need more 5-on-5 scoring.

I think Reino-for-Duchene would be a significant upgrade.

1.  I absolutely remember there being discussions about division between younger players and vets in the dressing room, and about Bylsma's inability to control it.  I don't remember whether those discussions were stimulated by the likes of Gleason / Hamilton or someone more trustworthy.  (And I hope Hamilton pulls it back together; he was the model of reliability once upon a time.)  But there were definitely rumblings about it, and not just on this board.

2.  You are absolutely right on that point.  He's on the ice last and off the ice first.  

There are certainly reasons to be concerned about Duchene.  But as GB points out, the Avs were toxic last year, and Duchene has been a borderline NHL star for 8 years (7 if you don't want to include last year, which is reasonable).  He has 5 20-goal seasons (1 with 30) and 5 55-point seasons (2 with 67+).  He is a terrific skater and a Canadian Olympian, and is only 26.  I think getting him now would probably be buying him when his value is at its low point.

I have no desire either to give up on Reino before we see what he can do in a non-toxic environment.  But there have been lengthy stretches in which he's been completely ineffective.  He's also a below-average skater for an NHL forward and the Sabres need more speed.  They also need more 5-on-5 scoring.

I think Reino-for-Duchene would be a significant upgrade.

Fair. I'm not married to Reinhart (unfortuantely - dat flow) but watching Matt last year scares the crap out of me. He is a leader on that team and a big part of its toxicity, IMO. 

I don't think the Sabres would trade for Matt unless it's a deal we'd all love at way below what we'd be unwilling to give up.