Duchene to Sabres?

sweetlou

Why would Colorado want Kane? They were garbage last year and will likely be garbage this season while Kane is on the last year of his contract.

He asked what I would give up for him, not what they would want.

I'd also ship a package of prospects and picks, then flip Kane for replacement prospects and picks.

Basically, the only way I see Duchene fitting in to the Sabres salary cap situation is as a replacement for Kane.

Kane alone is better than Duchene

Recency bias. Dislike of Kane the person leads him to be underrated by many, but he is not as good as Duchene. Same age, both have elite speed. Kane's best seasons in terms of production are similar to Duchene's worst.

Landeskog? JT Compher? Tyson Jost, AJ Greer, Connor Timmins,anyone else who is young of interest and at camp 

http://bsndenver.com/avalanche-training-camp-roster-primer/

Do you believe that or just saying it's a possibility/ Are any of them but Landeskog really on the block?

He asked what I would give up for him, not what they would want.

I'd also ship a package of prospects and picks, then flip Kane for replacement prospects and picks.

Basically, the only way I see Duchene fitting in to the Sabres salary cap situation is as a replacement for Kane.

Recency bias. Dislike of Kane the person leads him to be underrated by many, but he is not as good as Duchene. Same age, both have elite speed. Kane's best seasons in terms of production are similar to Duchene's worst.

I'd like to see the debate of Kane vs Duchene

Do you believe that or just saying it's a possibility/ Are any of them but Landeskog really on the block?

I'd like to see the debate of Kane vs Duchene

I'd say everyone not named Jost, Makar, and Rantanen are possible. Compher is unlikely. That doesn't mean Buffalo wouldn't scout them however. To say they went to scout Duchene, just Duchene seems faulty. Tyson Barrie has been rumored to be on the block. Colorado is rebuilding, you scout teams like that and not just for the player they are dangling. 

Here's my point. Saying the Sabres are scouting the Avalanche and speculating they might be there to see Duchene is very different then saying the Sabres are scouting Duchene. 

Buffalo reportedly scouting Duchene Colorado Avalanche.
LW is going to be a need I suspect. 2 s3asons at 6 mil left on his deal. Would be a good move in my opinion.

Regardless of who it is, I really don't think we have the ammo to get anything done

Sure we do. Maybe they like Kane. More probable they want Reinhart and (Guhle or Bowlu) plus a pick (2nd or later). 

Here's my point. Saying the Sabres are scouting the Avalanche and speculating they might be there to see Duchene is very different then saying the Sabres are scouting Duchene. 

Sure we do. Maybe they like Kane. More probable they want Reinhart and (Guhle or Bowlu) plus a pick (2nd or later). 

I mean it is but I don't think it's that big of a stretch to assume we're there to scout the guy who plays a position of need for us and who everyone in hockey has declared a walking trade for a year now

I mean theoretically we do, any team does, but I mean more in the sense of being smart about our assets. 

Why would Colorado want Kane? They were garbage last year and will likely be garbage this season while Kane is on the last year of his contract.

They'd get a prospect and trade Kane for more of them/picks at the deadline.  Meanwhile back-filling the offensive void Duchene would leave for 3/4 of the season. 

I'll surmise it's Duchene given A.) The Sabres need for an impact LW'er, B.) The knowns of both ROR's chemistry with Duchene both on and off the ice, in particular, ROR's line obvious need for an impact LW'er, and C.) The more than obvious Kane situation. Do they throw caution to the wind and cross their fingers and hope for the best, being reactive, or do they scout potential replacement talent at a reasonably affordable rate for another season beyond Kane's current contract, becoming pro-active?

Color me crazy and call me pink, but something tells me Bots experience with the Penguins makes him a more pro-active manager.....min My opinion.

Then you're not getting him.

It will cost Reino to get Duchene.

Pretty much, and I don't think Botterill is that dumb

Maybe Liger is right. Maybe we're there looking at someone else that won't cost an absurd price. Sakic isn't going to get what he wants for Duchene, but maybe while he thinks he will you can get someone for a ton cheaper.

Giving up a rostered wing to get Duchene still leaves us with too few good wings to roll 3 lines.

I'm all for improving your teams talent level whenever possible, but I'm not sure giving up what it would take to get Duchene would result in anything more than incremental improvement.

And getting Duchene is a win now move. As in, if you are trading for him, you are planning playoffs and probably a run.

They'd get a prospect and trade Kane for more of them/picks at the deadline.  Meanwhile back-filling the offensive void Duchene would leave for 3/4 of the season. 

That's an awfully big risk given that Kane's medical records are probably as thick as a dictionary at this point. If he sustains an injury at the wrong time they risk not being able to trade him at all. I don't think they'd take the risk. If they were content with getting picks and prospects for Duchene they could just trade him for better picks and prospects rather than swapping Duchene for Kane (plus whatever) and then rolling the dice on Kane being healthy at the deadline so they could swap him for more picks and prospects.

My proposal is Nylander, McCabe, and Moulson and conditional pick for Duchene.

Why this works for both teams.

For Colorado-

Nylander gives them a young forward prospect.

MCabe gives the a proven young defenseman.

Mouslon fills the LW void by the loss of Duchene, and also someone they can use on the PP.

Conditional pick is determined by whether we can extend Duchene.

For Buffalo-

Can risk losing Nylander with having prospects like Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching, and Middlestat.

McCabe is steady, but Buffalo picked up Beaulieuo fill that void.

Moulson contract comes off cap and gives ability to sign either Kane, Duchene, or both.

For Colorado-

Mouslon fills the LW void by the loss of Duchene, and also someone they can use on the PP.

For Buffalo-

Can risk losing Nylander with having prospects like Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching, and Middlestat.

Moulson contract comes off cap and gives ability to sign either Kane, Duchene, or both.

McCabe is a solid 2nd pairing guy where as we have no idea what Balloon can do

Bailey, Baptiste and Fasching look more like duds at this point than replacements for Nylander. They are nowhere near on the same level as him

Edited by WildCard

For Colorado-

For Buffalo-

Doing this would put Gorges back in the top 6. That's enough of a reason to pass. We've finally managed to put a competent top 6 on defense together so breaking it up by losing one of our best LHD would leave us scrambling to find a replacement for ourselves and would probably lead to us rushing Guhle into the lineup before he is ready. Mittelstadt is the only player you listed out of those prospects that has a ceiling anywhere near Nylander.

What kind of extension would you plan to offer Duchene when he is 28 and set to become a UFA? Or are you content to trade one of our best LHD who also happens to be on a sweetheart value contract for a guy you're going to be stuck overpaying or letting him walk after 2 seasons?