2018 - 2019 Lineup

Tondas

44 minutes ago, Hoss said:

This dude needs to learn to shut up and play. He’s a good bottom sixer and nothing more. And he’s hardly that these days.

The question was basically "do you think you can play in the top six or are you used to being a bottom-sixer?" 

He played 17 minutes a game last year. 

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

I need context (can't watch the vid right now) and there might be a language barrier too.  I can't tell whether he's saying he will refuse to play on the fourth line or whether he doesn't think of himself as a fourth-liner and therefore believes he won't be on that line.

I'm just fine with the latter.

It was the latter.

• Like (+1) 1

After watching the video in it's entirety,  I think with the language barrier he was saying that he doesn't think of himself as a fourth-liner and therefore believes he won't be on that line. Only reason I think this is because the rest of his answers to the questions were pretty mellow and ho-hum.

I just watched the Sobotka video and he said (as interpreted) that he's not a 4th line guy.  That's correct.  He isn't a grinder or energy forward.  He described that he doesn't mind playing center or RW (not lw) (Interesting).  Like playing center and being involved and likes the time and space playing the wing gives him.  He was very clear that he wants to help us can back to the playoff and thinks he can help.  Loves Hutton and thinks his goaltending will help on the ice and in the locker room.  I thought the guy did a great job with the interview and Sobotka was very thoughtful with his answers.  

After watching the video my opinion of Vodka the person improved dramatically.  

Skinner Eichel Reinhart

Sheary Mittelstadt Thompson

Erod Sobotka Okposo

Wilson Berglund Pommers

Girgensons ----> Larry traded or waived

On 8/3/2018 at 12:25 PM, CallawaySabres said:

My buddy in St. Louis thinks that Tage is probably a year or two away until we see his full potential. He needs to fill out and then could be a force. He is not someone the Blues wanted to let go but they are in win-now mode. The whole trade makes a lot of sense.

I’m probably in the minority here, but I believe that time in Rochester playing in the Top Six would be perfect for his development. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I’m probably in the minority here, but I believe that time in Rochester playing in the Top Six would be perfect for his development. 

Maybe but besides him blowing baptiste/bailey away out of camp, the kid is still waiver excempt so sending him down makes to much sense.

18 hours ago, sweetlou said:

Sheary- Eichel- Reinhart

Skinner- Mitts- Okposo

Sobotka- Berglund- Thompson

Wilson- Rodrigues- Baptiste/Pommer

Need to move Larsson and Girgensons.

Playing Skinner with Mitts makes the most sense. Eichel needs someone to get him the puck, and I'm not sold on him being the Adam Oats like set up man. Down the raod a bit it might be Mitts being the set up man for Jack. 

Whether we are a good, bad or mediocre team next year, what is absolutely welcome is that we now have FOUR players who should be capable of making jaws drop with their filthy skills. 

We could use some of this. Entertainment has hardly been a Sabres strong point so far this decade.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

Whether we are a good, bad or mediocre team next year, what is absolutely welcome is that we now have FOUR players who should be capable of making jaws drop with their filthy skills. 

We could use some of this. Entertainment has hardly been a Sabres strong point so far this decade.

absolutely. I feel we've had a tendency in Buffalo to be overly-critical and harsh on high-skill guys- the ones we've had in the past. Now we realize- it's pretty sad when we don't have much of that.

On 8/3/2018 at 6:52 PM, Hoss said:

They don’t NEED a veteran dman or a goalie. It’d have to be a significant upgrade in either regard to make any sense.

If this team is really bad again it will be because of any of 3 things.

1- Player's not responding to Housley.

2- No starting goalie.  Hutton is a career backup.  Ullmark is a rookie.  There is nobody else in the sytem.. not even a former starting goalie.   If Hutton nosedives, and and Ullmark struggles, like he did for Roch down the stretch, then this team is screwed 

3- Dahlin struggles because of no veteran presence on the blueline to guide the young Swede.  Scandella has played some games, sure, but they need a guy who has been to the top and played 10 seasons or so.

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

If this team is really bad again it will be because of any of 3 things.

1- Player's not responding to Housley.

2- No starting goalie.  Hutton is a career backup.  Ullmark is a rookie.  There is nobody else in the sytem.. not even a former starting goalie.   If Hutton nosedives, and and Ullmark struggles, like he did for Roch down the stretch, then this team is screwed 

3- Dahlin struggles because of no veteran presence on the blueline to guide the young Swede.  Scandella has played some games, sure, but they need a guy who has been to the top and played 10 seasons or so.

1. Yea, that’d be problematic.

2. There’s like three dudes (maybe) who have more NHL starts than Hutton and are willing/not wanted enough to start in the AHL. And if Hutton/Ullmark fail enough for this team to turn to a third goalie it’s already too late anyways. So this is a useless thing to ask for. They’re set at goalie. It might not work but they’ve got all the bodies they need.

3. Another case where your expectations are unrealistic. This is another case where there’s less than a handful of guys in the league that fit this criteria (and they’re all on ridiculous contracts). I think what you’re looking for is a coach.

Edited by Hoss

9 hours ago, Hoss said:

3. Another case where your expectations are unrealistic. This is another case where there’s less than a handful of guys in the league that fit this criteria (and they’re all on ridiculous contracts). I think what you’re looking for is a coach.

I assume what he is looking for is the next James Patrick or Teppo Nummenin.  Part on ice coach I suppose.  And yeah, there are a very small number of those in the league. 

10 hours ago, Hoss said:

1. Yea, that’d be problematic.

2. There’s like three dudes (maybe) who have more NHL starts than Hutton and are willing/not wanted enough to start in the AHL. And if Hutton/Ullmark fail enough for this team to turn to a third goalie it’s already too late anyways. So this is a useless thing to ask for. They’re set at goalie. It might not work but they’ve got all the bodies they need.

2. JBOT is rolling the dice with Hutton and Ullmark... which may work out.   But there's also a chance it doesn't.     I don't consider Hutton an experienced starter... he's an experienced backup.    Ullmark has no experience.      He could've made a move for an experienced starter... he choose not to.      

3. Bieksa, Beauchemin, Hainsey, Martin, etc..  there's a bunch of guys in that category that would provide a calming presence on the blueline.

6 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

2. JBOT is rolling the dice with Hutton and Ullmark... which may work out.   But there's also a chance it doesn't.     I don't consider Hutton an experienced starter... he's an experienced backup.    Ullmark has no experience.      He could've made a move for an experienced starter... he choose not to.      

3. Bieksa, Beauchemin, Hainsey, Martin, etc..  there's a bunch of guys in that category that would provide a calming presence on the blueline.

That list was short and crappy outside of one or the other Caps goalies. I don't know who else he could have possibly gotten that would be any better than Hutton at the price we got him for. I didn't want Hutton, but he was the right goalie to sign. 

Teppo and Patrick could still play when acquired.  Not sure anyone on your list fits that catagory.  

Scandella is just fine in that role.  He is a proven quality veteran NHL D who has played nearly 500 games in the NHL. I don’t think we need a member of the over the hill gang to mentor the kids.

• Like (+1) 1

2. Hutton led the league in save percentage and goals against last season, in the entire league. It’s not ideal that he doesn’t have years and years of starting experience but he’s been damn good when he’s played. And he’s definitely experienced.

3. None of those guys have ever been to the top 10. Beauchemin also retired. So what you want is basically a very slight upgrade to Josh Gorges: someone who was decent at some point and has been in the league so long they are no longer decent.

Your initial comment about D applied to like... Chara, Keith and Seabrook.

Edited by Hoss

Patrick and Teppo were able to live on in NHL eternity because they were sublime skaters and that skill doesn't degrade quite like the other skills needed to play at a high level.  It is interesting that today's game is much more of a fast paced, skaters game but yet, there aren't any of those old timers around that can still play at a high level because of their skating.  Maybe the rest of the league has caught up to them so Teppo or Patrick wouldn't be able to play into their AARP years in the league today?

Maybe Teppo was the last of his kind.  Maybe it is unreasonable to expect that kind of mentor anymore?

On 8/4/2018 at 4:49 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

I just watched the Sobotka video and he said (as interpreted) that he's not a 4th line guy.  That's correct.  He isn't a grinder or energy forward.  He described that he doesn't mind playing center or RW (not lw) (Interesting).  Like playing center and being involved and likes the time and space playing the wing gives him.  He was very clear that he wants to help us can back to the playoff and thinks he can help.  Loves Hutton and thinks his goaltending will help on the ice and in the locker room.  I thought the guy did a great job with the interview and Sobotka was very thoughtful with his answers.  

After watching the video my opinion of Vodka the person improved dramatically.  

Skinner Eichel Reinhart

Sheary Mittelstadt Thompson

Erod Sobotka Okposo

Wilson Berglund Pommers

Girgensons ----> Larry traded or waived

One guy I really dont think is a 4th line guy is Pommers. if either Bailey or Baptiste outplay him, I hope Sabres pull another Moulson  and send him to the AHL. 

5 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

One guy I really dont think is a 4th line guy is Pommers. if either Bailey or Baptiste outplay him, I hope Sabres pull another Moulson  and send him to the AHL. 

I'm okay with sending him to Rochester... maybe make him a player/coach.  Kind of seems like that's what Gio is slipping into (yes I know he doesn't have a player contract... .but he was at the development camp as a coach).

I have to say that I am really liking the idea of a Skinner Mittelstadt Okposo line. Casey’s hands, Skinner’s feet and Okposo’s shoulders; all three can create and finish. Obviously it projects Casey being ready and Kyle bouncing back, but that has all the ingredients of a classic scoring line.

Add Sheary’s speed and Berglund’s boardwork to Jack and Sam’s offence and you have 2/3s of the rest of the top nine. 

Wilson, Girgensons, Baptiste, Bailey, Pominville, Thompson, Larsson, Sobotka and ERod add some veteran savvy, scoring potential, grit and/or speed in various packages. Mix and match as needed for the final five spots and keep them hungry with the realization there are four guys ready and eager to take their jobs.

It’s certainly the first group of forwards with enough depth for internal competition that we’ve had since Pegula bought the team.

• Like (+1) 4

I wonder if we are approaching this lineup incorrectly.  Housley is going to have to protect Mittelstud, especially early in the year.  Housley has the opportunity to create a lineup not to dissimilar to the 2005-6 lineup when we fielded a 3rd line of high skilled, high speed kids.

Especially at home, I can see Housley sending out Berglund Sobotka line to counter the opponents top scoring lines.   

Skinner Eichel Okposo 

Erod Berglund Sobotka

Sheary Mittelstadt Reinhart

Wilson Girgensons Baptiste

Pommers

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.