3 Sabres file for arbitration

GASabresIUFAN

Lehner, Larsson and Baloo all file for arbitration.

Baloo had 28 pts tied with Muzzin, Petry, Demers and Vlasic. He played 19 minutes on average and was +8. The fact of his benching late in the year hurts his case. 1 can see a 2.5 mill award if it goes to a hearing.

Larsson. I'm not sure where he is negotiating from. 11 pts, -7 isn't much leverage.

Lehner. He has good leverage. How much does a starting goalie get these days? 4 mill? More? 59gms (58 starts) 2.68 gga and .920 save %. Save % was 8th in the NHL of goalies with 40 games or more. 58 starts was 13th.

Lehner, Larsson and Baloo all file for arbitration.

Baloo had 28 pts tied with Muzzin, Petry, Demers and Vlasic. He played 19 minutes on average and was +8. The fact of his benching late in the year hurts his case. 1 can see a 2.5 mill award if it goes to a hearing.

Larsson. I'm not sure where he is negotiating from. 11 pts, -7 isn't much leverage.

Lehner. He has good leverage. How much does a starting goalie get these days? 4 mill? More? 59gms (58 starts) 2.68 gga and .920 save %. Save % was 8th in the NHL of goalies with 40 games or more. 58 starts was 13th.

I'm interested in the Lehner arbitration the most. I'm pretty sure injury history is taken into consideration so it's going to be fascinating to see how it unfolds if it really does wind up being settled by the arbitrator. 

Admissible evidence:

1. Overall performance

2. Injury/illness

3. Length of service

4. Overall contribution to success or failure of the team

5. Special qualities of leadership or public appeal

6. Performance and salary of any player alleged to be comparable

Good luck, Robyn.

Admissible evidence:

1. Overall performance

2. Injury/illness

3. Length of service

4. Overall contribution to success or failure of the team

5. Special qualities of leadership or public appeal

6. Performance and salary of any player alleged to be comparable

Good luck, Robyn.

I think he finished top 10 in save percentage last year? He has played parts of 7 seasons and a recent comparable signed for just under $6 million a year. I think he has a good shot at a decent amount.

12th in save % at .920 (Nilsson 10th at .923 only 26GP)

GAA 2.68 31st in the league

13th in the league for TOI at 3405:28

3rd in shots at 1928 and in saves 1758

2 shutouts good for 34th in the league.

23 wins is at 23rd league wide.

I'd give him 3x4M and if he doesn't want it let it go to the arbitrator. I believe since he elected we could choose 1 or 2 year deal

I think he finished top 10 in save percentage last year? He has played parts of 7 seasons and a recent comparable signed for just under $6 million a year. I think he has a good shot at a decent amount.

Might be a stretch to call Jones a comparable. Since May 2015 only 4 goalies have signed for an AAV of 5M or more and they were each at least 5 years in term.

Carey Price 8 x 10.5M

Frederick Andersen 5 x 5M

Martin Jones 6 x 5.75M

Braden Holtby 5 x 6.10M

What i would consider comparables over that same time frame

Cam Talbot 3 x 4.17M

James Reimer 5 x 3.40M

Jake Allen 4 x 4.35M

Jacob Markstrom 3 x 3.67M

Petr Mrazek 2 x 4M

Scott Darling 4 x 4.5M

Might be a stretch to call Jones a comparable. Since May 2015 only 4 goalies have signed for an AAV of 5M or more and they were each at least 5 years in term.

Carey Price 8 x 10.5M

Frederick Andersen 5 x 5M

Martin Jones 6 x 5.75M

Braden Holtby 5 x 6.10M

What i would consider comparables over that same time frame

Cam Talbot 3 x 4.17M

James Reimer 5 x 3.40M

Jake Allen 4 x 4.35M

Jacob Markstrom 3 x 3.67M

Petr Mrazek 2 x 4M

Scott Darling 4 x 4.5M

Nice work here. I love it when someone gets all fired up to look at numbers. Based on what you have here I'd give Lehner somewhere around Reimer's money at a much shorter term. I wonder what the sticking point is? Term? Money?

Lehner's save % may be decent but it does not take in his ineptness in the shootout. That certainly should be an arbitration consideration.

Honestly, i'm not really sure why people care about his shootout percentage. It would have zero effect on us winning a cup, as when it matters it isn't used. If it was the difference between us getting into the playoffs or not, that's a different matter - but even then, we shouldn't be fighting so hard that 4 points is the difference. I don't want another bubble team after this tank.

Also, he faced 8 shots in the shootout, which means no forwards scored either - so the shootout loses aren't just on him.

Also you guys are mad if you think Lehner is being awarded anything less than $5 million. Someone found a list and picked the lowest paid player on there, and said that was Lehner's benchmark. Freddy Andersson and Martin Jones are his benchmarks. We might get him for 2 years at $4 million on a bridge deal - but anything more and we are looking at the 5s.

I'm not really sure why Lehner gets the hate around here, I get Buffalo is weird about goalies, but i'm not sure what he has done (or not done) for people to consider him a solid starter. He might not win a Vezina or Hart, but that doesn't mean he isn't a solid piece of the puzzle. And he has proved a damn sight more than Ulmark, yet people want to give the keys of the team to him.

I assume at some point it is personality based or something? Because Lehner the player is good. He might not play a style you like, but he kept this team in games we had no business being in - honestly without him, last year is almost a tank in my mind. Lundqvist played a weird style when he got to the league and everyone freaked out saying it wouldn't work and he plays too deep in his net... well guess what - it did. Moreover, Lehner's dad was the guy that helped Lundqvist with that weird style...

kinda hard to put any kind of worth on Lehner...he certainly has not proved much thus far and was stuck in front of a very poor defensive team last season. Maybe another year would really tell the full story. In the meantime, kinda surprised they don't do a one-year deal...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.