How much should Kane' s extension be?

I-90 W

95 members have voted

1. 1. How long should the exension be for?

• 4 years
    • 5 years
    • 6 years
    • 7 years
  2. 2. How much $ should the extension offer be?

• $4.5 m
    • $5.5 m
    • $6.5 m
    • $7 m

Ya, if we are dealing Kane, he should have been traded yesterday. Only decreasing the return at the point.

Plus I don't much like the idea of a guy all the other players know to be a sitting duck being around for longer than he has to be. Let Eichel build chemistry with someone that might actually be on the team going forward.

Time to change this thread to "what will Sabres get in return for Kane?"

Bob McKenzie speaks about Kane on "insider trading"

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2017/11/buffalo-willing-to-retain-salary-in-evander-kane-trade.html

Kings, Blue Jackets, Ducks and Lightning have been rumored to be interested. 

Sabres eating some 2017/18 salary should open door for all teams to enter the fray.

Ottawa and Nashville both gave up picks and prospect in their recent trades with Colorado (who I think did extremely well). I don't think the Sabres get that type of haul, unless the team acquiring Kane gets to negotiate with Kane prior to the trade and can get him to sign an extension.

Looking at the Kings, the #1 guy on my list for the Sabres would by Kale Clague  2016 2nd Rounder. LHD Dman for Brandon - 36points in 22 games for the Wheat Kings, plus a 1st rounder. 

Blue Jackets - Gabriel Carlsson 29th pick of the 2015 Draft. LHD who plays for Cleveland Monsters but played in the playoffs for Columbus last season, plus #1 pick

Ducks - Jacub Larrson - Ducks 1st rounder in 2015. LHD currently playing in the AHL. Plus #1 pick

Lightning - Would be happy if they were able to get Foote but don't think the Lightning give him up for a potential rental player. Brett Howden, would be a nice prospect, Left handed shot who should play with Team Canada u20s at the WJC this year.

One last team - Blues.   Player I was extremely high on in 2016 was Jordan Kyrou, who went in the 3rd round to the Blues. He may now be untouchable but I would definitely be asking about his availability in any discussions with the Blues.

What about Montour or Theodore from Anaheim? Many on here have been eyeing them since last season

Theodore is with LV. I don't see them moving him because they have so many UFA's.

Montour would be a sensational pick-up but I don't see the Ducks moving him either.    Maybe you start at Montour and work your way to Carlsson if they won't budge.  Wow, I just saw that Derek Grant is the #1 center right now. Sad!

I hate to say it but I wouldn't be looking for D in a Kane trade. I want forward prospects. Literally anyone who can score a damn goal. We'll worry about D later.

I agree. Fans have become so used to talking defense that we're overlooking our dismal offense. For me get best deal regardless of forward or defense.

I'm to a point where IDGAF (is that still a thing?) about whether anyone currently on the roster -- probably other than Eichel -- is still on this team next season. 

I'm at the point where the only player I DO GAF about being on the roster is Kane.

I'll burn Botterill in effigy if he hands Kane a contract remotely like this. If this is what the market dictates is necessary (I don't think it is), you let him walk. Simple as that. He's a nice piece, but he's not a "retain at all costs" piece.

Let the leading goal scorer on a struggling team "walk"?  He's 16th in the league in goals and 32nd in points.  A good skater with size and a top six forward on any team.  If Eichel was what he was built up to be then I would agree.  Nobody on this team or in the system currently provides or looks like they can provide what he does.  Not saying he is the end all be all of the team but what is the plan when he "walks", indicative of no return?

I'm not about absorbing a player like Orpik's deal unless we get 1st, Vrana or Burakovsky +.  That's hideous.  I don't want anymore dead weight on this pathetic team.  Orpik still is a stalwart in his own zone, but we don't need more rigid age on the back end.  

Kane 50% retained and Baptiste for conditional 2018 2nd (condition being making the ECF, If they don't it reverts to the first of their two 4th rdrs), Cole and Sprong.

That is a fair deal right there given they are going for a 3-peat.

Sprong is the only serviceable piece in this for me. The difference of a 2nd for the Penguins to a first is laughable.  I'm not helping Pittsburgh who has if not the worst hockey prospect pool, it's close.

I'm not about absorbing a player like Orpik's deal unless we get 1st, Vrana or Burakovsky +.  That's hideous.  I don't want anymore dead weight on this pathetic team.  Orpik still is a stalwart in his own zone, but we don't need more rigid age on the back end.  

Sprong is the only serviceable piece in this for me. The difference of a 2nd for the Penguins to a first is laughable.  I'm not helping Pittsburgh who has if not the worst hockey prospect pool, it's close.

A late first is as equally a scrap shoot as a late second to me. Sprong is the target, we need scorers.

A late first is as equally a scrap shoot as a late second to me. Sprong is the target, we need scorers.

Well they aren't the same. A late first nets you a substantially better player then a late 2nd especially if you're talking scorers. I'd dig up the stats to prove that but frankly I don't give a damn.

Who's the defender? Cole?

Seems to be the popular choice for whatever God awful reason.

I know nothing about him, that thread really just began because the TSN guys mentioned it, and Botterill has the connection. Apparently he's just Gorges though

This is how Friedman describes him

the Post-Gazette’s Jason Mackey reported, Ian Cole is available. That’s someone who really impressed me in the playoffs, a battler on an undermanned blue line that stepped up in a big way. The Penguins, not wanting to risk injury, are keeping him out of the lineup, knowing Cole would throw himself on a live grenade.

Kane for him would be a travesty unless part of a bigger package

This is how Friedman describes him

the Post-Gazette’s Jason Mackey reported, Ian Cole is available. That’s someone who really impressed me in the playoffs, a battler on an undermanned blue line that stepped up in a big way. The Penguins, not wanting to risk injury, are keeping him out of the lineup, knowing Cole would throw himself on a live grenade.

Kane for him would be a travesty unless part of a bigger package

Immediately reminded me of Kulikov. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.