Marco Scandella/Jason Pominville traded to Sabres for Ennis/Foligno

Brawndo

I found this interesting. One of these defenseman was traded for Foligno and Ennis, the other for Taylor Hall.

It's almost as if Chiarelli has no idea what he's doing... surely there was no warning this was the case when Edmonton hired him ten days after Boston fired him for setting fire to a Cup winning team in short order....

Anyway, good trade, JBOT.

Interview with Scandella

http://m.startribune.com/marco-scandella-reflects-back-on-wild-looks-ahead-to-buffalo/433891713/

Scandella is extremely excited to play for the Sabres and particularly first-year coach, Hall of Fame defenseman Phil Housley.

“Look at what he’s done with Nashville’s D corps,” Scandella said. “He was an All-Star defenseman, and that he believes in me gives me a lot of pride. I think we’re going to work really well together. I know I’m going to learn a lot off of him. I think he has a lot to teach. I’m all ears and I’m super excited about the new challenge.”

Coincidentally, Housley talked about Scandella for the first time to Buffalo reporters today. Courtesy of my pal Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News, Housley said, “Marco is a terrific player. I got to see Marco playing a lot being in that division with Minnesota. He was a key element to adding to our team. He's a fierce competitor. He was playing behind some guys, wanted more minutes, wanted an opportunity. Luckily for us, we got him. The way he can skate, is mobile ... A big part of our team is going to be mobility back there and he brings that.”

Scandella said he plans to visit Buffalo in about 10 days to find a place to live, tour the Sabres’ much-hyped facilities and see their doctors after having offseason hip surgery.

He also plans to have dinner in a couple days with Pominville, the former Sabres’ captain about to begin his second stint in Buffalo.

“I know Pommer’s always loved it there,” Scandella said. “Since I got traded, he’s been texting me and telling me, ‘You’re going to love it. Don’t worry. Everyone who goes there and plays there always loves it.’”

Scandella said he’s only looking at this experience as a positive. He doesn’t feel the Wild didn’t want him anymore, but he’s very proud Buffalo did.

“I understand why the trade happened,” Scandella, 27, said. “It’s not like Minnesota went, ‘We don’t want him anymore.’ Chuck’s done a great job of drafting, and once a team gets to that level and good players have to get re-signed [like Mikael Granlund and Nino Niederreiter and next year Jason Zucker and Matt Dumba], no matter what, you’re going to lose guys. It’s a great problem to have. It just so happens that I was the one that was pushed out of Minnesota, but it’s all positive. There’s no animosity. I’ve always respected Chuck, Bruce [boudreau], and I had a great time in Minnesota. I’m going to miss it. I really am.

“But you know what, it’s just a new chapter in my life. You can’t dwell on things. The challenge is really exciting. I’m at an age where I feel like I’m really ready for a new challenge like this.”

Scandella’s also excited to be in the east and so close to his home in Montreal. He has an uncle in his 90s that likes to watch every game and a grandmother “getting up there in age, so my games on TV in Montreal, they’ll be very happy I’m playing at an earlier time. And of course, it’ll be easy to fly my mom in.”

It moved

Interview with Scandella

http://m.startribune.com/marco-scandella-reflects-back-on-wild-looks-ahead-to-buffalo/433891713/

Scandella is extremely excited to play for the Sabres and particularly first-year coach, Hall of Fame defenseman Phil Housley.

“Look at what he’s done with Nashville’s D corps,” Scandella said. “He was an All-Star defenseman, and that he believes in me gives me a lot of pride. I think we’re going to work really well together. I know I’m going to learn a lot off of him. I think he has a lot to teach. I’m all ears and I’m super excited about the new challenge.”

Coincidentally, Housley talked about Scandella for the first time to Buffalo reporters today. Courtesy of my pal Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News, Housley said, “Marco is a terrific player. I got to see Marco playing a lot being in that division with Minnesota. He was a key element to adding to our team. He's a fierce competitor. He was playing behind some guys, wanted more minutes, wanted an opportunity. Luckily for us, we got him. The way he can skate, is mobile ... A big part of our team is going to be mobility back there and he brings that.”

Scandella said he plans to visit Buffalo in about 10 days to find a place to live, tour the Sabres’ much-hyped facilities and see their doctors after having offseason hip surgery.

He also plans to have dinner in a couple days with Pominville, the former Sabres’ captain about to begin his second stint in Buffalo.

“I know Pommer’s always loved it there,” Scandella said. “Since I got traded, he’s been texting me and telling me, ‘You’re going to love it. Don’t worry. Everyone who goes there and plays there always loves it.’”

Scandella said he’s only looking at this experience as a positive. He doesn’t feel the Wild didn’t want him anymore, but he’s very proud Buffalo did.

“I understand why the trade happened,” Scandella, 27, said. “It’s not like Minnesota went, ‘We don’t want him anymore.’ Chuck’s done a great job of drafting, and once a team gets to that level and good players have to get re-signed [like Mikael Granlund and Nino Niederreiter and next year Jason Zucker and Matt Dumba], no matter what, you’re going to lose guys. It’s a great problem to have. It just so happens that I was the one that was pushed out of Minnesota, but it’s all positive. There’s no animosity. I’ve always respected Chuck, Bruce [boudreau], and I had a great time in Minnesota. I’m going to miss it. I really am.

“But you know what, it’s just a new chapter in my life. You can’t dwell on things. The challenge is really exciting. I’m at an age where I feel like I’m really ready for a new challenge like this.”

Scandella’s also excited to be in the east and so close to his home in Montreal. He has an uncle in his 90s that likes to watch every game and a grandmother “getting up there in age, so my games on TV in Montreal, they’ll be very happy I’m playing at an earlier time. And of course, it’ll be easy to fly my mom in.”

It moved

So. You got a thing for Scandella's mom?

So. You got a thing for Scandella's mom?

:flirt:

Honestly, that sounds like a lot of rationalizing and trying to put the best face on getting dumped by a team.  Maybe in conversation it sounded more natural, but in text it seems kind of forced to me.

It just seems like he was trying too hard to like Buffalo.  Maybe it's just the voices in my head.

Realistically, it's possible he's only been to Buffalo a few times and then only the sad drive down the 33 for an overnight and a game the next day. All he has to go on is the waterfront in winter and Pominville's assurances. I'm sure he'll warm up; I have a tough time thinking Buffalo is worse than Minnesooooohta. Maybe not better, but not worse either.

It just seems like he was trying too hard to like Buffalo. Maybe it's just the voices in my head.

It's you. You're from the Buffalo area, right? It's you. Everyone who was ever traded has said this same thing about any city ever. Has nothing to do with Buffalo. Take it from someone with no ties to the area.

Realistically, it's possible he's only been to Buffalo a few times and then only the sad drive down the 33 for an overnight and a game the next day. All he has to go on is the waterfront in winter and Pominville's assurances. I'm sure he'll warm up; I have a tough time thinking Buffalo is worse than Minnesooooohta. Maybe not better, but not worse either.

Beauty may be skin deep, but ugly goes clear to the bone.

• 2 weeks later...

Descent interview, nothing too wow. Some highlights

=> He's tri-lingual, speaks Italian, French, English

=> Said we have a lot of talent up front. On playing us last year, says the Wild had a relatively easy time against us cause the Wild play so structured

=> Said we have a lot of talent up front. On playing us last year, says the Wild had a relatively easy time against us cause the Wild play so structured

I sure hope he knows that preseason games don't count, 'cuz they split the season series.

M-x spelling-nazi-mode

I noticed 'descent' in another of your posts; once is a fluke, two is a pattern. We all express ourselves more and more with the written word, so I correct you as a friend that wants everyone to come off in the best light. Please don't think I'm a jerk.

• Descent: to proceed downwards, a derivation from a predecessor, etc. "His descent into madness and despair", "The trail being muddy made for a perilous descent." "He is of French descent"
  • Decent: respectable, adequate, conforming to norms. "It was a decent interview." "He's a decent guy" "The beer at Pearl Street is decent, but they are coasting on seniority and location."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.