Will Butcher - Let's use that college loophole

LGR4GM

He's a college UFA because he went for 4 years and then decided that the Avalanche are indeed a giant steaming pile of garbage. So he I say we try and get him. I am all for adding any all players to the defense and trying to find what works. 

Will Butcher: 22yrs old, 5'10" 190lbs LHD, just won the Hobey Baker Award. Captain of University of Denver. 37pts in 43games.

Don't have high expectations, but definitely worth a look.

I can't help but think he's a Chad Ruhwedel. Sorry, Stanley Cup Champion Chad Ruhwedel. Another piece is good but I won't cry if he doesn't come here.

Edited by MattPie

What do the numbers say on him? Only saw him in the Frozen 4 & 1 game leading up to it.

I have him very comparable to Anthony Florentino, though I'm probably penalizing his size too much. The past 3 years he averages at about 30th best D in his draft class. Let me change my answer, Rochester? Sure, sign him up.

I guess my ambivalence comes from needing a defenseman or two against the other teams top lines, for me, defensively, Risto's a 3, McCabe's a 4. Want to go back to Georges again?  A couple defensemen moved lately that would have helped, Smith or Hjalmarsson.

So sure, sign Butcher, but he's not solving your problem this season.

I guess my ambivalence comes from needing a defenseman or two against the other teams top lines, for me, defensively, Risto's a 3, McCabe's a 4. Want to go back to Georges again?  A couple defensemen moved lately that would have helped, Smith or Hjalmarsson.

For me it would be partially about rebuilding a very deficient defense prospect pipeline.

EDIT: I can't tell if this sentence makes sense, but I can't seem to fix it, so whatever.

Edited by sabills

But no one available via FA is either including Shattenkirk.  So absent a trade, adding more possibilities can't hurt right?  I hope for this season lies in one or two prospects or new adds outperforming their projections not meeting them.  

I agree he'd be good for Rochester but don't you think someone is going to offer him a job with the big boys??? If so, why would he go to Rochester?? I also don't know the scoop on this guy so who knows. 

We kinda have enough of this type of player...good potential but who really knows if he'll be a NHL'er? heck casey Nelson sure looked good and he got buried in Rochester (I hope under Howie he excels). Any defencemen we mau add at this point should be a sure bet (like Shattenkirk). This guy won't come here to get put down in Rochester for the rest of his career...Leafs or Chicago will  probably sign him though

I agree he'd be good for Rochester but don't you think someone is going to offer him a job with the big boys??? If so, why would he go to Rochester?? I also don't know the scoop on this guy so who knows. 

He's undersized, doesn't skate well, but has high hockey IQ.

He doesn't skate well? Oh then I am out screw that. I'm serious too. Im done with trying to fix guys skating. 

This is why COL took a pass on signing him.... and I'm sure it's scaring off other suitors.    That said, I still think he'd be a fine addition in Roch, he's a smart player with leadership skills.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.