Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

Look up Paul Wieland's near-life experience in 1977. Paul was the Sabres first director of PR and worked on their broadcasts. He was a decent amateur goalie and served as practice goalie for the Sabres at times. The starter, Gerry Desjardins, took a puck in the mask and injured his eye. GM Punch Imlach was considering a trade for a goalie for the next game but decided to first see what he had in kid Don Edwards, who was playing in AHL Hershey.

The backup goalie was journeyman Al Smith. When the Sabres started Edwards instead of Smith for the next game, a home game at the Aud, Smith got pissed and quit, on the ice, after the anthems, waving goodbye at the Knoxes. (Both Smith and Edwards assumed Smith was playing and only found out Edwards was starting just before the game.)

Wieland, who was working on the radio with Rick and had taken shots in the morning skate because they didn't want to risk another real goalie getting hurt, got a call in the pressbox to get his ass down to the lockerroom and suit up. Alas, when he was almost done getting his equipment on, trainer Frank Christie told him to forget it. Wieland wasn't in the official lineup, so he couldn't be the backup, let alone play.

Buzz off. "Flag football star runs onto field to finish Super Bowl for Vikings." Tell me the NFL wouldn't get roasted.

Though he couldn't be the "backup" - that was officially Smith, had Edwards been injured & unavailable to play the job of tending the net would've fallen to Smith. As he was "unavailable" the game would have been delayed while Weiland got dressed & 99% sure that he'd've been allowed warmup shots as well. (Don't recall ottomh when exactly they did away w/ warmup for the replacement goalie, pretty sure it was later in the 70's.)

He couldn't dress as the backup because that officially was Smith. Had Edwards been injured during the game, Smith would have been on the spot to tend the crease. But, since Smith was unavailable, the game would have been held up as Weiland dressed & (99% sure on this) to warm up as well. (Not 100% sure because not positive when the warmup for replacement goalies was cancelled; pretty sure that was later '70's.)

He ABSOLUTELY would've played if neither rostered goalie was available.

[Edit: apologies for repetitiveness of this response. Laptop was acting up. :beer:]

Edited by Taro T

I think you keep going down your lineup instead of finding someone off the street. A beer league goalie playing in the NHL is, to use one of your favorite expressions, trash. Next up? Scandella. Broken patella? In you go, Antipin!

You have never played goalie & as such have no idea how foolish this idea is. Goalies don't even wear the same skates as "skaters" wear. The backup goalie on the Brockport club team would be more successful in net than an NHLer that has never played.

It is a COMPLETELY different way of playing and to continue your football analogy would be about as successful as having Roscoe Parrish fill in for Kyle Williams.

If your issue is with teams only having 2 goalies (typically) up w/ the parent club, what would be your solution to solve this issue that comes up about 2 times per year in a league that plays ~1,271 regular season games per year?

In the playoffs, teams often bring their AHL goalie up onto the roster to cover for the unlikely event that their 2 goalies could be unavailable.

Edited by Taro T

I don't understand... statically?  What do you mean?  

I'm not arguing that he will definitely shoot over 20% next season.     Nobody knows.   But the idea that he definitely will NOT shoot over 20% (because he's guaranteed to trend toward his average) is flawed logic.  

He won't shoot at or above 20% next year. What about that is confusing you? 

You literally find the negative in everything.  You know what?  You have point?  You know what else?  I don't even remotely pretend to care. 

You are the seagull of this board.

Cheer up, sunshine!

You have never played goalie & as such have no idea how foolish this idea is. Goalies don't even wear the same skates as "skaters" wear. The backup goalie on the Brockport club team would be more successful in net than an NHLer that has never played.

I was hardly making an argument that Marco Scandella would be a functional goalie. I want people who are in the profession to decide the games. That's a pretty defensible position, I think.

Imagine being Tyler Myers and you get two cracks at a 36 year old beer league goalie who had just left his office job a few hours prior, and you don't score.

The guy played D1 at Western Michigan.    These aren't some shleps they just randomly pick out of the crowd who play beer league... there's a tryout, they look at past experience, etc..   These guys can play.

Edited by pi2000

The guy played D1 at Western Michigan.    These aren't some shleps they just randomly pick out of the crowd who play beer league... there's a tryout, they look at past experience, etc..   These guys can play.

And he probably isn't  playing just any beer league, but the top division more or less in the area.  Plays on two teams, maybe two different levels 2-3 games a week.  A lot of former AHLers, college guys play in those leagues.  Not NHL, but not without guys who can shoot... just maybe not skate as well.

Cheer up, sunshine!

I was hardly making an argument that Marco Scandella would be a functional goalie. I want people who are in the profession to decide the games. That's a pretty defensible position, I think.

What do you mean by "in the profession?"

Don't know what Vinz' credentials were (he doesn't show up in a HockeyDB search) nor what the Sabres criteria is to be on thd emergency goalie list, but the Amerks emergency goalies all are qualified to fill in during an emergency. Most, if not all, have played major junior at a minimum & are in their 20's & still actively playing multiple nights / week.

They'd be better than throwing the goalie coach in or a D w/ no experience.

I'm trying to think of the ramifications of not using this system.

• There's have to be a cut-off for the roster (presumably earlier in the day) where you couldn't add a player. I guess this would affect skaters too, get hurt in warm-ups? Too bad, skate with 19.
  • So you'd start the game with one goalie. When that golaie gets hurt, everyone twiddles their thumbs for like 20 (?) minutes while one of the skaters puts on the gear.
  • Now you have a skater that possibly never played goal in his life out there trying to stop pucks. If he doesn't twist of sprain anything, odds are there'd be a number of goals scored while this guy flops around.
  • Style points for teams that try to intentionally injure the goalie if there's only one left.
  • Yeah, this seems like a good way to decide games. Let's do it. This is way better than an awesome story about the league being fun.

I'm trying to think of the ramifications of not using this system.

• There's have to be a cut-off for the roster (presumably earlier in the day) where you couldn't add a player. I guess this would affect skaters too, get hurt in warm-ups? Too bad, skate with 19.
  • So you'd start the game with one goalie. When that golaie gets hurt, everyone twiddles their thumbs for like 20 (?) minutes while one of the skaters puts on the gear.
  • Now you have a skater that possibly never played goal in his life out there trying to stop pucks. If he doesn't twist of sprain anything, odds are there'd be a number of goals scored while this guy flops around.
  • Style points for teams that try to intentionally injure the goalie if there's only one left.
  • Yeah, this seems like a good way to decide games. Let's do it. This is way better than an awesome story about the league being fun.

Maybe fantasy hockey is more fun, but can't we agree that games should be decided by members of the respective teams?

Are there emergency QBs and kickers in the NFL? Catchers in MLB?

Maybe fantasy hockey is more fun, but can't we agree that games should be decided by members of the respective teams?

Are there emergency QBs and kickers in the NFL? Catchers in MLB?

Yes. There ARE emergency QB's in football. You can dress a 3rd QB that doesn't count against your 45 man game day roster. He (essentially) only plays if the 1st 2 can't go.

6 on 5 for the rest of the game. Or until the guy who serves bench minors gets suited up.

Not sure that would result in better hockey.

God, I have played that way in beer league, its tough, but we actually won, one of those games.  Goalie got injured and it took a while to find a replacement... tough to find someone to play 10:30 at night on random days.

Lucic and Mike Smith had a bit of session last night, and Tanner Glass fought Looch after.  Post game, Lucic bringing up Glass' response and having respect for the response.  Looch mentioned Buffalo's lack of response to the Miller hit during the interview. 

Still pisses me off when it gets brought up. 

Lucic and Mike Smith had a bit of session last night, and Tanner Glass fought Looch after. Post game, Lucic bringing up Glass' response and having respect for the response. Looch mentioned Buffalo's lack of response to the Miller hit during the interview.

Still pisses me off when it gets brought up.

I'm amazed Lucic brought it up. I didn't think it was a big deal to him.

Bah. Lucic will bring up the Sabres lack of response as often as he can. Why not. It was an embarrassment. Tanner Glass took a few for his team last night and Milan respects that. Its a tough guy code. There's a bond amongst tough guys that step up. Nothing wrong with that. It takes courage to step up in situations like that. The Sabres at that time turned tail. I can't say I would have stepped up in that situation because you just never know.Maybe I would have turned tail. But a team mate should have stepped up, took a few lumps ( or given some ) and this whole shitshow would have been over with that game. No one did so it lives on.

Edited by bunomatic

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.