Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

"worthwhile compensation" from a team that still views risto in high regard would absolutely be worth it. 

I hear Chiarelli might be turning on Klefbom and loves his guys who check hard  :flirt:

Is Risto all he's going to be? It can be dangerous giving up on a promising d-man at 23.

What if ROR brought back a number one and the Sabres luck into Dahlin and Risto can get reduced minutes/protected shifts on the second pairing?

Ennis has 8-12-20, and Foligno has -15-23. Does anyone think the Scandella trade was not worth it?

Also, Ryan Suter is out for the year with a fractured ankle. Minnesota is gonna miss him

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/23006558/ryan-suter-minnesota-wild-fractured-right-ankle-season-over

Just so you know... posting links to espn articles is a bannable offense... They dont cover hockey so please ignore any articles from them or suffer some severe trolling! :)

Ennis has 8-12-20, and Foligno has -15-23. Does anyone think the Scandella trade was not worth it?

Also, Ryan Suter is out for the year with a fractured ankle. Minnesota is gonna miss him

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/23006558/ryan-suter-minnesota-wild-fractured-right-ankle-season-over

Scandella is fine. I like his passion. Great hugger. All of these guys are playing above their pay grade. He's not a top pair guy.

Scandella has been exactly what I expected, a Toni Lydman type - pretty good at everything, great at nothing and gives you an honest effort. We need another one of him and another puck mover. Be nice if that was McCabe and Guhle, but haven’t seen that yet.

Scandella has been exactly what I expected, a Toni Lydman type - pretty good at everything, great at nothing and gives you an honest effort. We need another one of him and another puck mover. Be nice if that was McCabe and Guhle, but haven’t seen that yet.

Given how bad we looked without Guhle last night, I think he might be better than we're giving him credit for. His skating is extremely important to our below average d corps. 

Given how bad we looked without Guhle last night, I think he might be better than we're giving him credit for. His skating is extremely important to our below average d corps.

This is a good point. Housley’s system demands guys who can skate and move the puck.

That’s why Nelson has surprised and why Gorges never plays.

Is Risto all he's going to be? It can be dangerous giving up on a promising d-man at 23.

What if ROR brought back a number one and the Sabres luck into Dahlin and Risto can get reduced minutes/protected shifts on the second pairing?

My posts last night were mostly emotional reactions due to yet another instance of Risto having bad position/not covering a guy and then trying to be a badass as soon as they score, with the cross checks and stuff. It's kind of annoying, kind of embarrassing. 

I wouldn't trade Risto unless the return was worth it AND there was a plan in place that left the defense better off. 

What I TRULY want is to stop using Risto as a shutdown D when he doesn't have the hockey IQ to be one. But considering we're on the third staff in a row to do this, I think that won't change and the damage has been done. He shouldn't be getting top minutes in the league against top opponents at even strength because the team is bad when that happens. Use plus minus, your eye test, anything you like, over the last three years the results of doing that have not been good and that time would have been better spent nurturing his offensive game while slowly integrating defensive skills in relatively nice scenarios to build confidence and ability. The way that any true 1D in the league was brought up. But not for Risto - you get Crosby every night for 26 minutes starting at age twenty. Go. 

The lack of fluid development like this has hurt this franchise everywhere for a decade. How often have we been pleasantly surprised by a rookie or sophomore season, but then never saw another lick of development from that player? Zemgus is the same guy he was in 13-14. So is Risto. McCabe showed promise until he didn't change again. Myers. Foligno. Hell, it goes back to Stafford. the team can never get guys shifted up to the next level at age 22, 24, etc. Who they are after about 50 games of NHL experience is who they are years later. 

The lack of fluid development like this has hurt this franchise everywhere for a decade. How often have we been pleasantly surprised by a rookie or sophomore season, but then never saw another lick of development from that player? Zemgus is the same guy he was in 13-14. So is Risto. McCabe showed promise until he didn't change again. Myers. Foligno. Hell, it goes back to Stafford. the team can never get guys shifted up to the next level at age 22, 24, etc. Who they are after about 50 games of NHL experience is who they are years later.

Thanks for finally articulating why smart guys like Freeman think 21-year-old Reinhart is all Reinhart will ever be, why no one expects Bailey and Fasching and Rodrigues and Baptiste to ever make the jump and why we should have given up on Alex Nylander before he turned 20.

That’s not the norm for the NHL, but it has been the norm in Buffalo for a decade.

There’s a reason why Botterill has put such an emphasis on development.

Edited by dudacek

My posts last night were mostly emotional reactions due to yet another instance of Risto having bad position/not covering a guy and then trying to be a badass as soon as they score, with the cross checks and stuff. It's kind of annoying, kind of embarrassing. 

I wouldn't trade Risto unless the return was worth it AND there was a plan in place that left the defense better off. 

What I TRULY want is to stop using Risto as a shutdown D when he doesn't have the hockey IQ to be one. But considering we're on the third staff in a row to do this, I think that won't change and the damage has been done. He shouldn't be getting top minutes in the league against top opponents at even strength because the team is bad when that happens. Use plus minus, your eye test, anything you like, over the last three years the results of doing that have not been good and that time would have been better spent nurturing his offensive game while slowly integrating defensive skills in relatively nice scenarios to build confidence and ability. The way that any true 1D in the league was brought up. But not for Risto - you get Crosby every night for 26 minutes starting at age twenty. Go. 

Good stuff here. Well said.

If we are ever able to get Risto positioned as a 2nd pair Dman, (or even first pair with a Dahlin on his left), we are all gonna like him a lot more.

i liked our chances against Minny before Suter got hurt...now, I don't think they win two games.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/sean.tierney#!/vizhome/Exitsvsentrydefense--asofMarch17th/Dashboard1

This is an interesting chart that plots a defenseman's ability to stifle a zone entry versus his ability to get the puck out of the zone with possession.

Click on any Sabre (or another team) to get all of that team's defensemen.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.