Expansion draft and league-wide wheeling and dealing

Brawndo

Are.. Are they dumb?

Most GMs value stay-at-home defencemen more than this board does.

Don't think Botterill is one of them. Highly doubt we bring him in.

I'm interested in Theodore, but he ain't coming.

Maybe Miller or Schmidt.

So Hamsammich was actually right about Carrier/Ullmark?

No forkin' Schlitz?

Surprised. Really thought William was unprotected as a sweetener to either get a D or lose a Moulson. (Or ideally lise a Moulson while gaining a D.)

Indeed. He's also using his own advanced stat, GAAWSV (GAA + Wins / save%) as rationale for keeping Ullmark. #hammymath

After watching this expansion draft, I have come to the conclusion that there are some really bad GM's employed in the NHL besides Garth Snow. The amount of assets given to LV to avoid losing one player was ridiculous.

How many extra 1st rd picks? 3? Plus Tuch and others.

I'm not pissed at Jbot for giving up a 6th to keep Ullmark over Carrier, because we are short on goalies. However losing Ullmark wouldn't have been a tragedy.

Essentially we just gave up a former 2nd rd pick and a 6th to keep a former 5th.

Edited by GASabresFan

After watching this expansion draft, I have come to the conclusion that there are some really bad GM's employed in the NHL besides Garth Snow. The amount of assets given to LV to avoid losing one player was ridiculous.

I'm not pissed at Jbot for giving up a 6th to keep Ullmark over Carrier, because we are short on goalies. However losing Ullmark wouldn't have been a tragedy.

Same. It was logical. Our GM isn't an idiot for now, woohoo! Keep it up.

The full value and impact of these selections will not be known until right around or just after the draft.

Getting all bent now means nothing because this was a minimum two phase game.  The first is the expansion draft, the second is the real draft.  The jockeying that is likely to occur between now and Friday evening is going to huge.

Measure yourselves a bit.  Just because Ennis, Moulson, and Bogosian are here today does not mean they are here tomorrow or the next day.  You can relax until mid-September.  

Essentially we just gave up a former 2nd rd pick and a 6th to keep a former 5th.

Considering 6th round picks have like a 5% chance of playing in the NHL, that is pretty much a throw away pick

Good haul for Vegas. I was at the show tonight and was happy with a lot of the players and picks coming back. I don't see Neal being here and wasn't thrilled about our Detroit pick. I would move a handful of those d-man. Methot, Merril, Sbisa, Schlemko. Funny thing I just skated with Derek Engelland about two weeks ago at T mobile. He lives here in Vegas so he's not going anywhere. 3 first rounders in the top 15. Good way to start a franchise. I know McPhee has more planned in the next couple of days but it's exciting to have our own team here.

I'm just looking over the picked players now...we don't know some trades yet of course, but doesn't it seem like McPhee did a ...bad job? 

I feel like you could load the cupboards and still come out better than that. 

He added the 13th pick and the 15th pick and Theodore and Tuch — that's four guys they can build with.

He also grabbed four second rounders — the best liquid currency in the NHL

Haula, Karlsson, Miller, Carrier, Merrill, Nosek, Pulkkinen, Van Reimsdyk, Leipsic, Reinhart and Schmidt are all young enough to emerge and cheap enough to discard if they don't.

He's got a ton of veteran defencemen who likely will be flipped for more assets.

He's got a handful of scoring forwards who can also be flipped for more assets.

He's got a goaltending combo that is as good as any in the league.

He's basically set himself up with more assets than we had after the teardown for the tank.

He's also got a whack of cap space in a league struggling to find it.

And they are bad enough to be in the lottery the next couple years to add his Eichel and his Marner.

I think he did a hell of a job.

Edited by dudacek

I wouldn't say I'm pissed, but I am annoyed. Losing Carrier won't be the end of the world or anything, but I do think it was the wrong choice. Yes, he's probably a 3rd liner long term, maybe a 4th liner....but I think that's more valuable than a probable backup goalie.

I wouldn't say I'm pissed, but I am annoyed. Losing Carrier won't be the end of the world or anything, but I do think it was the wrong choice. Yes, he's probably a 3rd liner long term, maybe a 4th liner....but I think that's more valuable than a probable backup goalie.

Obviously Jbot and Allen see something in Ullmark and likely know that Peterson isn't signing with us. Add that we are incredibly deep at wing with Nylander, Fasching, Bailey, Baptiste, Erod, and Smith as prospects in the AHL. Therefore Ullmark is more valuable to us right now and we can afford the loss of Carrier.

Actually it's about 15.9% chance of that player playing 100 games in the NHL.

That seems rather high. 15% of 30 picks in the 6th means four guys per year out of the sixth round play 100 games in the NHL.

Edited by MattPie

This is no sane way to look at the trades as an outcome, it's just how my chart breaks down the pieces. Meaning, which old core/Regier assets became what current assets.

Derek Roy + Ryan Miller + Mark Pysyk and assorted transient pieces like Steve Ott and Chris Stewart is currently (with the last couple months' losses noted):

• Kulikov = gone UFA
  • Carrier = gone expansion
  • Byslma = gone fired
  • Rasmus Asplund = Sweden this season
  • 2017 MIN (#54 overall) = TBD Saturday

Obviously Jbot and Allen see something in Ullmark and likely know that Peterson isn't signing with us. Add that we are incredibly deep at wing with Nylander, Fasching, Bailey, Baptiste, Erod, and Smith as prospects in the AHL. Therefore Ullmark is more valuable to us right now and we can afford the loss of Carrier.

I see no connection between Ullmark signing and Peterson.  The length of Lehner's contract if Peterson hasn't decided first should tell us what we need to know.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.