Expansion draft and league-wide wheeling and dealing

Brawndo

How does JBot know for sure Ullmark was even on the Vegas radar?

I assume he asked them. He didn't just give them a 6th for the hell of it. 

J.F. Berube NYI (Vegas also gets Mikhail Grabovski, Jake Bischoff, 2017 1st round pick and 2019 2nd rd pick)

Wowwwww

We should have upped the bribe to get Vegas to take one of our anchors rather than just giving them a 6th and exposing Carrier to protect Ullmark.

Maybe a second round pick would have enticed them to pick Moulson or Ennis. Seems like a wasted opportunity to gain cap space and dump a bad contract.

Edited by Drunkard

GMGM even said that Vegas was interested in two players, and Buffalo added the sixth to influence them in Carrier's direction. It was the only trade McPhee commented on tonight. I found it strange that they had him comment on live tv. Glad he did, though!

We should have upped the bribe to get Vegas to take one of our anchors rather than just giving them a 6th and exposing Carrier to protect Ennis.

Maybe a second round pick would have enticed them to pick Moulson or Ennis. Seems like a wasted opportunity to gain cap space and dump a bad contract.

if you believe sentence one, then sentence two does not make sense. 

Why are we still talking about sweet william Carrier ?

I don't think anyone is losing sleep over Carrier. It's more about missing out on the opportunity to bribe them into taking one of our bad contracts (Moulson, Ennis, Bogosian, or even Gorges).

if you believe sentence one, then sentence two does not make sense.

I meant to say protect Ullmark, not Ennis.

How does JBot know for sure Ullmark was even on the Vegas radar?

Mc Phee stated he spoke to every GM in the league to give them an indication of who their selection would be and gave them an opportunity to make a deal. Carrier and a 6th was the price.

As brought up before the worse part is the Sabres did not shed any large contract.

Seriously. Take a boring event and sprinkle a bit of news surrounded by awkwardness and poor jokes.

I had to shut it off and play something from the dvr. Switched back just in time to see the first round of picks and shut it back off. The format is brutal. It reaffirms my decision to avoid awards shows in general.

We should have upped the bribe to get Vegas to take one of our anchors rather than just giving them a 6th and exposing Carrier to protect Ullmark.

The Sabres' "anchors" aren't holding them back right now.  It's ok.

Mc Phee stated he spoke to every GM in the league to give them an indication of who their selection would be and gave them an opportunity to make a deal. Carrier and a 6th was the price.

As brought up before the worse part is the Sabres did not shed any large contract.

Really ? 

Gorges gone after this year, Moulson in 2 years, Bogo is the only one that might stifle us a bit.

If you see what other teams payed, florida for smith comes to mind ( that is not even a really bad one).

The Sabres' "anchors" aren't holding them back right now.  It's ok.

my sentiments exactly, of to bed 03.30 am  :blink:

I'm 42 years old and have been "watching" the Sabres since being a small child.  I'll admit that because I didn't play organized hockey (just in the street) I never learned the game.  Just probably in the last 10 years I've made an effort to learn the game (hope that makes sense). 

I'm really surprised/disappointed at the reaction by several posters I've come to respect and I've learned a lot from.  I'm finding it hard to believe that some posters actually think we had a chance for Ennis, Bogo or Moulson to get selected - especially by just exposing them.  The word protected keeps getting flown around for Ennis and I can't help but chuckle.  We did not protect Ennis - he simply was not getting selected and certainly not without giving significant draft pick(s).  

They made an organizational decision to keep Ullmark instead of Carrier.  I'm shocked there's posters actually correlating that to not liking JBot.  It's such an insignificant move and I'm happy we are an organization that had the ability to come out relatively unscathed with this expansion.  This expansion draft didn't thwart the direction we're going in one bit.  Fully understanding we have bad contracts but there's no chance those players were in play - they're our bad contracts to deal with and shouldn't have been seriously thought as ones we could dupe the new team into taking.  That's how unattractive they are. 

Next we'll go to the Islanders, who gave up a lot to ensure Vegas wouldn't take some of the players they covet but did not protect, like forwards Brock Nelson and Ryan Strome and defenseman Calvin de Haan.

So instead the Golden Knights took Berube, who may never play a game for them, but in addition they got the Islanders' first-round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft as well as their second-round pick in the 2019 draft, defenseman Jake Bischoff and forward Mikhail Grabovski.

man for staying away from brock nelson I would have asked a bit more, certainly after taking on grabovski's contract.

I'm 42 years old and have been "watching" the Sabres since being a small child.  I'll admit that because I didn't play organized hockey (just in the street) I never learned the game.  Just probably in the last 10 years I've made an effort to learn the game (hope that makes sense). 

I'm really surprised/disappointed at the reaction by several posters I've come to respect and I've learned a lot from.  I'm finding it hard to believe that some posters actually think we had a chance for Ennis, Bogo or Moulson to get selected - especially by just exposing them.  The word protected keeps getting flown around for Ennis and I can't help but chuckle.  We did not protect Ennis - he simply was not getting selected and certainly not without giving significant draft pick(s).  

They made an organizational decision to keep Ullmark instead of Carrier.  I'm shocked there's posters actually correlating that to not liking JBot.  It's such an insignificant move and I'm happy we are an organization that had the ability to come out relatively unscathed with this expansion.  This expansion draft didn't thwart the direction we're going in one bit.  Fully understanding we have bad contracts but there's no chance those players were in play - they're our bad contracts to deal with and shouldn't have been seriously thought as ones we could dupe the new team into taking.  That's how unattractive they are. 

Nailed it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.