Rumors and Speculation Part II

Brawndo

I just think he's one of those guys who, if the team liked playing in front of him, could get away with being a butthole. But I don't think they trust him in net/like playing with him.

Given how much he is pepperd every game it's he who shouldn't trust/ like playing with them lol.

McKenzie stated that we would not be surprised if Robin Lehner's name on the market as he is eligible for arbitration and could command 4 Million per year.

https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/friedman-mckenzie-evaluate-evander-kane-trade-potential/

Could be but JBOT has already stated he like Lehner, and if he thinks he is our #1 goalie I can see them giving him a 3x4 mill contract.

If Lehner and Kane go, I'll be disappointed because that signals another rebuild.    I'd keep them and try to launch guys like Girgensons, Foligno, Larsson, Bogo, for whatever I can get.     Replace them internally or with UFA's like Matt Cullen, Kunitz, etc... guys J-BOT is familiar with who are still servicable and would actually provide an upgrade (IMO) for a year or two while guys like Bailey, Baptiste, etc.. develop in Roch.  

It's true that Lehner probably isn't very well like in the locker room, but winning changes that immediately.   

If Lehner and Kane go, I'll be disappointed because that signals another rebuild.    I'd keep them and try to launch guys like Girgensons, Foligno, Larsson, Bogo, for whatever I can get.     Replace them internally or with UFA's like Matt Cullen, Kunitz, etc... guys J-BOT is familiar with who are still servicable and would actually provide an upgrade (IMO) for a year or two while guys like Bailey, Baptiste, etc.. develop in Roch.  

It's true that Lehner probably isn't very well like in the locker room, but winning changes that immediately.   

Is Tanner Glass a UFA? If so, let's go Kunitz-Glass-Moulson on the 4th line for the slowest, most unskilled line in the history of the NHL, without even needing to adjust for era - The Rangers' WWI/Flu decimated 4th line on their thin leather skates that probably have double blades would skate circles around those farts

Edited by Randall Flagg

How?

I just think he's one of those guys who, if the team liked playing in front of him, could get away with being a butthole. But I don't think they trust him in net/like playing with him.

I saw more guys standing up for Lehner last year than they ever did for Miller (who was a purportedly a god in the room).  Granted, it's a different team from the Lucic incident.  If you've played team sports, there are guys that you don't like personally, but when the puck is dropped, he's your brother.  I don't buy the "not playing for a certain guy" argument (especially at the professional level). 

I'm OK with Lehner but I thought JBOT was non-committal in his presser.  He said he was comfortable with Robin starting the season, he did not call him anything like a building block.  Now maybe that was for negotiating reasons, but with arbitration a possibility, and an award to Lehner in the 4.5 to 5 million range possible, I'm looking at all options, including a trade.

If Lehner and Kane go, I'll be disappointed because that signals another rebuild.

I'm pretty sure there's going to be some rebuilding to some degree. There has to be. JBott is going to install his type of players. These will be different than GMTM's players. We want a faster game. There's going to be change. But, I don't expect a total strip down like we've seen before.

Not really. Trading your expiring LW and an RFA goalie is kinda standard offseason stuff. I think Lehner will be retained though. 

I'm pretty sure there's going to be some rebuilding to some degree. There has to be. JBott is going to install his type of players. These will be different than GMTM's players. We want a faster game. There's going to be change. But, I don't expect a total strip down like we've seen before.

Kane is fast, aggressive and can score.   That's a player that fits in any scheme.  

Not really. Trading your expiring LW and an RFA goalie is kinda standard offseason stuff. I think Lehner will be retained though. 

It's not standard stuff when you're trying to build a playoff contender.    Keep your best players.

How?

It signals a rebuild because we don't have a guy on the roster who can fill in for Kane's offensive output.    It's a step backwards in the goal scoring department... and then trade away your starting goalie with nobody in place to take his spot?   How is that not taking a step back?

Kane is fast, aggressive and can score.   That's a player that fits in any scheme.  

It's not standard stuff when you're trying to build a playoff contender.    Keep your best players.

No you keep your key players and there is a difference. Andrew Ladd comes to mind. Was super useful when the Hawks won their first cup and they up and traded him away that summer. He was 24 or something like that. You have to decide where you want to spend money. I'd keep Kane if I could sign him to a solid contract. If he wants to test free agency I trade him now. 

No you keep your key players and there is a difference. Andrew Ladd comes to mind. Was super useful when the Hawks won their first cup and they up and traded him away that summer. He was 24 or something like that. You have to decide where you want to spend money. I'd keep Kane if I could sign him to a solid contract. If he wants to test free agency I trade him now. 

Ladd is not valid comparison.   BUF hasn't sniffed the playoffs in years... now is not the time to trade away talent because you're afraid they won't fit under your cap 5 years down the road.    BUF is not yet in a position where they need to make these types of decisions on players.    In CHI's case, Ladd was the odd man out.    In BUFs case, they could easily afford to sign Kane to an extension.    

Edited by pi2000

why would anyone trade a 26 year old goaltender who's likely to only get better and was top 10 for save% that likely wont get a fair return and probably can be re-signed for relatively cheap. why would you trade such a core piece? I dont trust that rumor if true.

Secondly, Why would you trade an elite 21 yr old co-top 2 center that we have not witnessed since Briere/Drury who scored damn near 30 goals his rookie season. He's young to the point where there's absolutely no reason to argue that he won't crack 30-as a playmaker- and who has probably the best passing ability as anyone in the league, and with lot of chemistry with Eichel- and i'm sure he would not be happy. Speed is a single facet of many within a very complex game, people make it seem like he's slow. He's just not fast. So what? Many great players in recent memory are slower than sam. I'm getting this vibe that new gm undervalues his players. 

There is no reason to think Reinhart is not a PPG or near it at the end of the day. All players develop at dramatically different rates. He literally has barely even cracked the SURFACE of his potential. Why lose a more skilled 21 year old Drury? Are you kidding me?

Edited by BuffaloBorn

why would anyone trade a 26 year old goaltender who's likely to only get better and was top 10 for save% that likely wont get a fair return and probably can be re-signed for relatively cheap. why would you trade such a core piece? I dont trust that rumor if true.

Secondly, Why would you trade an elite 21 yr old co-top 2 center that we have not witnessed since Briere/Drury who scored damn near 30 goals his rookie season. He's young to the point where there's absolutely no reason to argue that he won't crack 30-as a playmaker- and who has probably the best passing ability as anyone in the league, and with lot of chemistry with Eichel- and i'm sure he would not be happy. Speed is a single facet of many within a very complex game, people make it seem like he's slow. He's just not fast. So what? Many great players in recent memory are slower than sam. I'm getting this vibe that new gm undervalues his players. 

There is no reason to think Reinhart is not a PPG or near it at the end of the day. All players develop at dramatically different rates. He literally has barely even cracked the SURFACE of his potential. Why lose a more skilled 21 year old Drury? Are you kidding me?

we need something to talk about

we need something to talk about

That's probably true. But I also think the JBot has a grand vision of how he wants to build his TEAM. I really doubt the Pens were built by deciding who has the best stats. That's not how you get to the SC 2 years in a row (and likely more in the future). If he thinks Sam or Kane are going to be key building blocks in how he envisions this team to be, then great, I'm on board. If he thinks they are not, then great, I'm on board and let's bring in the players he wants.

Ladd is not valid comparison. BUF hasn't sniffed the playoffs in years... now is not the time to trade away talent because you're afraid they won't fit under your cap 5 years down the road. BUF is not yet in a position where they need to make these types of decisions on players. In CHI's case, Ladd was the odd man out. In BUFs case, they could easily afford to sign Kane to an extension.

Hmm interesting. You're not wrong but I still think Ladd is a good comparison. Is Kane part of our core or not? If you say no then you trade him at his peek value. If yes you extend him.

Watching the Pens I can't help but notice all the small guys who are playing for them in these playoffs. Geuntzel is leading the league in goals sure and Sheary has been an ok player but I really hope JBot doesn't bring in too many little guys.

Watching the Pens I can't help but notice all the small guys who are playing for them in these playoffs. Geuntzel is leading the league in goals sure and Sheary has been an ok player but I really hope JBot doesn't bring in too many little guys.

Estephan did not get offered a contract so if he does it will probably be small faster skaters

The answer to each of these is the same.  It depends on the return from the deal.  I hate the cliche that anyone can be traded, but there's definitely something to it.  Of all of the guys mentioned so far around here, the only one I would actively shop is Kane.  I'd much rather keep him around, but if you have the idea that he might not want to re-sign, you should definitely be talking to see what you can get.  As for the others (Lehner/Reinhart), I'm not initiating the calls, but I'm certainly listening if someone comes calling.

I think for forwards 5'11" is fine for a forward as long as the skate well and they are willing to work hard in the corners. To be cliche, it isn't the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of fight in the dog. 

I don't understand this reasoning. If the players are good enough to be contributing members of a team in the Cup Final, why would you or anyone else care that they're two inches shorter than your ideal? It's like falling in love with a beautiful woman and calling everything off because her hair is light brown and you prefer dark brown.

“I’m told that there are offers on the table for Jordan Eberle,” indicated [Dreger]. “Nothing that Peter Chiarelli, the general manager of the Oilers, is willing to accept just yet. But it goes back to Draisaitl and McDavid and the finances involved, right. I mean, Jordan Eberle still has two years remaining on his contract at $6 million per, so it sounds like he’ll definitely get traded.”

“I stand by it,” asserted Dreger. “To me, it’s somewhat obvious. Now they’re not going to give Jordan Eberle away, nor should they. Now some might say, ‘Well look, given the fact that you’re about to enter cap hell with Connor McDavid’s extension looming and Leon Draisait’s extension looming, and then after that you’ve got to wonder what Cam Talbot – if he’s Top 3, Top 5 goalies on the planet – what he’s going to take.’ It’s just the mathematics.

“But there is some real, tangible value in moving out a $6 million contract. When you’ve got extensions on the magnitude that the Oilers are going to have to wrestle with moving forward, cap space is going to be premium.

“So maybe it’s a high pick so that you can show your fan base that you’re continuing to build and that’s a very valued asset, and on top of that you get the cap space. But if you have a chance to add a piece like Hamonic to your blueline, why wouldn’t you do that.”

Friedman also, at that time, noted how the St. Louis Blues had to grind for every goal in the playoffs.

“St. Louis has a great game-breaker in Tarasenko. But, and someone sent me this note yesterday after the game. I’ve got to do the exact numbers, but I think they’re right. If you take a look at all of the guys who finished high on the list in scoring, they all have a teammate who was close. It’s Kane-Panarin in Chicago. It’s McDavid-Draisaitl in Edmonton. It’s Crosby-Malkin in Pittsburgh. It’s Benn-Seguin in Dallas. Tarasenko is the one guy who on his team had nobody near him. St. Louis is going to need to find offensive players, and I wonder if they would be the kind of team that would say, ‘Alright, we’d be willing to look at Eberle under the right circumstances.’

“And I’m not reporting that that’s happened, I’m just saying that that’s my initial thought.”

https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/dreger-oilers-actual-offers-table-eberle/

I could very easily see us moving Kane and trading for Eberle 

Edited by WildCard

I don't understand this reasoning. If the players are good enough to be contributing members of a team in the Cup Final, why would you or anyone else care that they're two inches shorter than your ideal? It's like falling in love with a beautiful woman and calling everything off because her hair is light brown and you prefer dark brown.

Not saying all small players can't play just that too many of them isn't really a good thing.

I think for forwards 5'11" is fine for a forward as long as the skate well and they are willing to work hard in the corners. To be cliche, it isn't the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of fight in the dog.

Agreed. Just don't think they should load up on them.

Not saying all small players can't play just that too many of them isn't really a good thing.

Agreed. Just don't think they should load up on them.

If we exclude Ennis, are there any top 6 forwards in Buffalo under 6'? I listed guys that are also potential top 6 players too. Seems to me that we have plenty of size in this lineup. I think the important part isn't 1 or 2 inches or 5 or 10lbs but how well they play. 

ROR - 6' 209lbs

Okposo - 6' 216lbs

Eichel - 6'2" 196lbs

Reinhart - 6'1" 190lbs

Kane - 6'2" 205lbs

Carrier - 6'2" 212lbs

Bailey - 6'3" 214lbs

Baptiste - 6'1' 205lbs

Fasching - 6'2" 215lbs 

Nylander - 6'1" 181lbs

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.