Rumors and Speculation Part II

Brawndo

The Ducks are widely believed to become one of the key players in the expected (and quickly approaching) NHL trade parade.

The team has available to deal what many rivals want and what is so scarcely available across the league – quality defensemen.

“I know a lot of people are looking at the Ducks ahead of the expansion draft and feeling like maybe there’s a gun to their head,” said Pierre LeBrun on a Wednesday edition of TSN’s Insider Trading. “I’m not sure that’s how they view it because frankly, they’re in a great position when you consider how many teams in the NHL are in a dire need of an upgrade on D and they happen to have one that they can possibly move.

“I think it’s going to be Sami Vatanen. I’m told teams are absolutely lining up in their interest for him. Among the teams I think have interest: Toronto, Tampa Bay, New Jersey. But honestly, there are more teams than that.

“So if the Ducks move ahead on a trade for Sami Vatanen, it allows them – I think – to protect all the guys they really want to, including Josh Manson. A lot of people wondering how they can protect him. ‘Maybe he’ll be left unprotected.’ No way. He’ll be an Anaheim Duck through that process.”

“It would be a younger forward,” supposed Dreger. “Certainly a guy that would develop into a top-six, but it could be a combination of things as well. And often this time of year that’s what it takes, right. If there’s a deal to be made, and there’s an interest in moving a player like that from Anaheim’s perspective, then Bob Murray has to be flexible in what the expected return is.

“And Pierre was bang on. The interest is developing and growing significantly. But does that mean that a team like Colorado, as an example, is going to move out one of their bigger pieces. Matt Duchene is going to get traded – at least that’s my view – in this off-season. Is Matt Duchene what the Anaheim Ducks are looking for? Probably not, but you never know.

“So I think that Bob Murray is going to sift through the options between now and not just the expansion draft, but the draft; and if the deal makes sense based on the combination of assets coming back, then clearly he makes it.”

Duchene came up in last week’s edition of TSN’s Insider Trading with Bob McKenzie

“I would vote him as the player most likely to be traded this summer,” said McKenzie. “Obviously the Avalanche tried to trade him at the deadline. They didn’t find something to their liking. They’re trying that again now. I expect they will find something.

“And I would suspect that also from Matt Duchene’s perspective, his time in Colorado would be up. Now, you never say 100 percent a player will be traded for sure because they can’t just give him away, but this is one where I believe both the team and the player are looking for a fresh start.”

https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/vatanen-duchene-high-list-potential-trade-candidates/

@NYP_Brooksie
How much has Tortorella changed? Enough so that Jackets have inquired about Kovalchuk's interest in coming to Columbus, Post has learned.
Edited by WildCard

Before the surgery announcement I would have been all over the idea of going after Vatanen, but now I'm not really liking the idea of going after a guy who is likely going to miss the first month or so of next season. Perhaps that's too short-sighted on my part.

Before the surgery announcement I would have been all over the idea of going after Vatanen, but now I'm not really liking the idea of going after a guy who is likely going to miss the first month or so of next season. Perhaps that's too short-sighted on my part.

I'd still be thrilled if we got Vatanen. Him missing time might be great for us, as he might just be a little cheaper. 

I was never big on Vatanen.

Don't get me wrong, he would immediately be our second best defenceman.

But he's too much like Risto (without Risto's edge)

We need a guy who can complement Risto, or a guy who anchor a shutdown pair and pick up some of his defensive minutes.

Vatanen is neither of those guys.

He's going to cost. I'd rather pay a high price for a different guy, or a smaller price for a lesser guy.

Edited by dudacek

I'd still be thrilled if we got Vatanen. Him missing time might be great for us, as he might just be a little cheaper.

That's very true. But I bet that's more than offset by what likely becomes something of a bidding war for him. I do very much like the looks of:

McCabe - Ristolainen

Antipin - Vatanen

Guhle - Bogosian

Mustn't get my hopes up.

We need a guy who can complement Risto, or a guy who anchor a shutdown pair and pick up some of his defensive minutes.

I think McCabe already is that guy. I think we need a 100% offensive guy

He's going to cost. I'd rather pay a high price for a different guy, or a smaller price for a lesser guy.

Maybe a guy like Brodin, with a Brodin - Antipin second pairing. You'd think he'd be cheaper, but who knows. Haven't heard many rumours lately surrounding him.

It's looking like it's going to be quite difficult to achieve the required improvement on defence. Hopefully Botterill can pull something off in the lead-up to the draft.

I do think Montreal will try and trade Galchenyuk,” answered Friedman. “I do. I think it’s likely he’s going to go.”

No doubt seeing the words being typed out online as he said them, Friedman quickly added: “But not 100 percent. But I’d say more likely than not they try to trade him.”

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/friedman-wonders-senators-will-get-back-duchene-sweepstakes/

I believe everybody is waiting for the finals to be over so they don't draw attention away from them. Assuming the finals stretch to a 7th game we should start seeing trades start rolling in a week from now.

why are there 2 rest days between games 4 and 5, 5 and 6, 6 and 7?    Get on with it already

I would bet after the expansion draft

Apparently the frenzied market is supposed to be arising in large part due to the presence of the expansion draft, so those prognosticators predicting such would have us believe that a large amount of deals will arise in the time period before the expansion draft.

I guess we'll see. As others have said, should start when the finals end. But something tells me that the analysts predicting the busy market may have overstated things.

It's so hard to make trades in today's NHL.

Apparently the frenzied market is supposed to be arising in large part due to the presence of the expansion draft, so those prognosticators predicting such would have us believe that a large amount of deals will arise in the time period before the expansion draft.

I guess we'll see. As others have said, should start when the finals end. But something tells me that the analysts predicting the busy market may have overstated things.

It's so hard to make trades in today's NHL.

The expansion draft "starts" on the 18th.     Protected lists are due on the 17th.     Their "picks" will be announced during the NHL awards on June 21st.   

The Cup Finals game 7 is the 14th.   So that leaves the 15th-16th for deals to happen before the "draft" officially begins.     And I believe there's also a league wide trade freeze starting on the 17th-20th.  

The rules also say they have a 48hr window before the draft to sign FAs... so is that 48hrs before the 18th?   Or does that start on the 18th as well, since they announce their picks on the 21st. 

Edited by pi2000

The expansion draft "starts" on the 18th.     Protected lists are due on the 17th.     Their "picks" will be announced during the NHL awards on June 21st.   

The Cup Finals game 7 is the 14th.   So that leaves the 15th-16th for deals to happen before the "draft" officially begins.     And I believe there's also a league wide trade freeze starting on the 17th-20th.  

The rules also say they have a 48hr window before the draft to sign FAs... so is that 48hrs before the 18th?   Or does that start on the 18th as well, since they announce their picks on the 21st.

So we are looking at Thursday and Friday next week for action, supposedly. If the finals end Sunday, could be busy all week.

That's if the rumoured frenzie comes to be.

Following the release of teams’ protected players lists at 10:00 a.m. on June 18, the Golden Knights and GM George McPhee will have the opportunity to sign UFAs and unprotected RFAs within a 72-hour window. This window closes at 10:00 a.m. on June 21 when they are expected to have their roster in place.

That gives some clarity...

11th: Game 6 (earliest date Finals could be over)

14th: Game 7 (if necessary) 

15th: First buyout period begins

16th: Last chance to place players on waivers

17th 5p ET: Deadline to submit protected lists and trade freeze begins

18th 10a ET: Protected lists released leagewide; start of Vegas' FA signing window

20th:  Adidas Hockey Sabres jersey reveal

21st 10a ET: Vegas' FA signing(and drafting) period ends

21st 8p ET: Picks announced at NHL Awards Show (8pm ET)

22nd: Trade freeze lifted

23rd: Entry Draft

...so I could see possibility of a trade frenzy the end of the Finals to the 17th, which could be the 12th-17th or 15th-17th... and then again starting on the 22nd as Vegas may look to complete deals and draft is looming.

Edited by pi2000

The NHL draft also starts on the 23rd. So should be a big weekend for trades starting on the 22nd.

So, End of Finals until the 17th, and the 22nd, 23rd, and 24th should be busy.

When is the blockbuster Stamkos-Subban/Weber-Hall/Larsson this year?

So we are looking at Thursday and Friday next week for action, supposedly. If the finals end Sunday, could be busy all week.

That's if the rumoured frenzie comes to be.

I also thought I read somewhere from McPhee that a lot of these "deals" will not be made public. That is, certain players may not be selected for favorable returns on "official" trades.

The Bruins and Wild talking about Brodin

From CSN New England

One hockey source indicated to CSNNE there should be attention paid to the ongoing trade discussions between the Bruins and Wild for a couple of reasons. Those talks first started leading up to this past season’s trade deadline. The 23-year-old Brodin Is a left-shot D-man with cost certainty signed for four more years at $4.166 million and has been a top-four defenseman for the Wild since breaking into the league as a teenager. The 6-foot-1, 194-pound Brodin is coming off a career-high 25 points, while also averaging a career-low 19:34 of ice time, and has settled in as a solid, two-way D-man who’s never going to dazzle anybody with his workmanlike skill set.

What adds further intrigue is that, while Sweeney sounded open to the idea of trading a first-round pick, the Wild currently don’t have a selection in each of the first two rounds this year. Minnesota dealt its 2017 first-round pick to the Coyotes as part of the Martin Hanzal deal — a move Wild owner Craig Leopold eventually came to regret.

The salary cap is also a factor, especially if it remains at $73 million.

Edited by BRAWNDO

The trade winds around Anaheim Ducks defenseman Sami Vatanen seem to be picking up.[/size]

“It’s hard to find a scintillating defenseman that you can get out there and say, ‘Here’s a guy who can make an impact on our roster,’ “ noted Friedman during a Thursday afternoon segment on NHL Network. “And I do think he’s the guy who’s going to get traded. They’re going to protect Lindholm. They’re going to protect Fowler. They’re going to protect Manson. They’re going to find a way to protect all of the guys they need to protect, and I think that opens up Vatanen.

“Now, I think first of all the teams are questioning the injury. I think there’s a hope he can be back for November – if not, maybe December. But I don’t think anybody is looking at it and saying, ‘This is a devastating injury that’s going to keep him out for a long, long period of time.

Friedman ponders potential destinations for Shattenkirk

“I think Toronto is around this. I think New Jersey is around this. New Jersey really wants defense. They really need defense badly. I just don’t know if New Jersey is going to have what it takes to make this deal. I think Toronto has what it takes to make this deal.

“But I think teams in this league – I could even see a team like Dallas being around this. I think Dallas has an ability to make this deal. If you’re Dallas, are you offering the No. 3 pick for Sami Vatanen, and is that enough for Anaheim or do they want more.

“I think there are a couple of teams like Toronto and Dallas who do have the ability to make this trade.”

Vatanen’s cap hit is a manageable $4.875 million, and he has another three seasons left on that contract.

A little earlier in the segment, Friedman also noted that “there’s a lot of talk that Anaheim is getting close to Cam Fowler with an extension too.”

Friedman thinks that annual number “probably starts with a 6.”

Fowler will be headed into the fifth and final season of his $20 million contract, which carries a cap hit of $4 million.

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/friedman-speculates-possible-trade-matches-vatanen/

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.