2017 Stanley Cup Final NSH vs PIT

Brawndo

I can only assume you're filling the contrarian void. I'll bite. We had fifty thousand people at three downtown viewing parties, and other viewing parties across middle Tennessee. When the sabres were in the finals I don't remember fifth thousand showing up in downtown Buffalo. I don't remember viewing parties in Olean, North Tonawanda or Niagara Falls. I don't remember seeing anything like this in ANY NHL city, and the contrast between Nashville and Pittsburgh is quite obvious. again, I can only assume you're filling the contrarian void. 

Yep. Just being contrarian. Nashville is the first and only team in NHL history have outside viewing.

Oh wait.

post-1429-0-57864000-1496852407_thumb.jpg

But isn't that to be expected on a weekend afternoon game?

Well it is here, but it doesn't have to be. Plenty of other arenas do it differently.

I despise children, but they're welcome at any hockey game. I just want the Sabres to ditch the bizarre obsession with them.

Aside from the despising children part, agreed 100%. Edited by TrueBlueGED

Far short of 50k, no?

I stopped counting at 4

The Sabres generally had 10,000 people outside. 

And that's when downtown was a sh!thole. Now that it's starting to get nicer (not as nice as Nashville) I'll be interested to see how many more people show up next time.

Oh. You mean like every other city prior to Nashville? 

We're enjoying it down here Swamp, why try to crap on it?

Not crapping on it. Just pointing out that like everything else the media latches on to, the narrative gets old.

Those "you suck!" chants are not G-rated Disney stuff, but, IMO, they're wholly appropriate for any kids that might be in the crowd. I mean - c'mon. I'm sure there are hand-wringing prudes who complain or would complain, but they can ... go suck an egg.

Let adults have like...one place on this planet where there aren't stupid kids. 

I despise children

The hell is wrong with you guys?

Seriously.

Even before I had kids of my own, NFW I'd ever say such a thing.

And that's when downtown was a sh!thole. Now that it's starting to get nicer (not as nice as Nashville) I'll be interested to see how many more people show up next time.

Word.

I despise children, but they're welcome at any hockey game. I just want the Sabres to ditch the bizarre obsession with them.

People with kids bring in the money. Young people may be louder and drink a couple of $10 beers but people with families buy popcorn, sodas, nachos, etc. plus overpriced jerseys and hats that need to get replaced fairly frequently since kids grow so quickly. They are catering to the segment that represents the potential for generating the most revenue.

Edited by Drunkard

I stopped counting at 4

Not crapping on it. Just pointing out that like everything else the media latches on to, the narrative gets old.

What would you prefer the media latched onto? There's not a lot of options with these two teams. Especially if you're trying to bring in viewers outside of the core NHL fan. Seriously, what better storyline would you prefer the media latched onto than the Cinderella predators and thier corny chanting fans?

I stopped counting at 4

Plus accounting for population sizes it's more like twice as many people as opposed to five times as many.

Those "you suck!" chants are not G-rated Disney stuff, but, IMO, they're wholly appropriate for any kids that might be in the crowd. I mean - c'mon. I'm sure there are hand-wringing prudes who complain or would complain, but they can ... go suck an egg.

Seriously.

Word.

We're sociopathic.

Seriously.

Word.

I think things are different now. Kids are everywhere. When I was a kid there were places my parents wouldn't take me because kids didn't belong there. That unwritten rule appears to be dead. Everyone's kids are special now and they should be allowed everywhere and if they aren't then suburban mom is gonna need to see your manager.

We're sociopathic.

giphy.gif

I think things are different now. Kids are everywhere. When I was a kid there were places my parents wouldn't take me because kids didn't belong there. That unwritten rule appears to be dead. Everyone's kids are special now and they should be allowed everywhere and if they aren't then suburban mom is gonna need to see your manager.

It's as if -- times change. Like. Things don't stay the same. Or something.

No need to slag on kids for being stupid per se.

All people are stupid and annoying. Kids decidedly less so, as a group.

giphy.gif

It's as if -- times change. Like. Things don't stay the same. Or something.

No need to slag on kids for being stupid per se.

All people are stupid and annoying. Kids decidedly less so, as a group.

My phrasing was poor there. I'm not calling the kids themselves stupid. I'm calling the parents stupid.

What would you prefer the media latched onto? There's not a lot of options with these two teams. Especially if you're trying to bring in viewers outside of the core NHL fan. Seriously, what better storyline would you prefer the media latched onto than the Cinderella predators and thier corny chanting fans?

I think I may not be making myself clear. I love the Preds' story and I hope they win. I just think they are over-playing the "how great the fans are down here" angle because it is a non-traditional hockey market (whatever that means). There are lots of great fan bases that do lots of crazy stuff. Nashville is certainly one of them.

Edited by SwampD

“You know what makes me sick to my stomach? When I hear grown people say that kids have changed. Kids haven’t changed. Kids don’t know anything about anything. We’ve changed as adults. We demand less of kids. We expect less of kids. We make their lives easier instead of preparing them for what life is truly about. We’re the ones that have changed. To blame kids is a cop-out.”

- Frank Martin

S.C. Head Basketball Coach

Edited by GoPre

How old were you went you began to understand and follow the game well? I'd probably say for me it was in the 4th grade range. Right around 9 or 10 years old.

Point is, little kids (6 and under) in the arena don't bother me. I behave how I want. I just don't understand the point of bringing them. Other than it being a waste of money, it's a complete chore of a time making sure they're behaving.

My 5 year old understands offsides, icing etc. I literally have to beg him to go to the bathroom instead of watch the zamboni at intermission. I'm not saying he's special or not special compared to other kids, he just genuinely loves hockey. During the season, in the morning he jumps on the ipad as I make coffee, checks the scoreboard and watches the highlights not only of the sabres but most of the games. It is obviously also about the parents. It is amazing to have your kid with you when something special happens. I will never forget the look on my daughter's face when Jack scored that ridiculous goal against Columbus or my son after the OT breakaway goal against the Hurricanes. Finally, even if I was not a parent I would still love the afternoon games. Heck yes, I prefer a 1 - 3 PM start on a frigid saturday in February to driving down at night. 

I just have one more thing to say,...

Nashville can right off!! I'm a mother###### Sabres fan. I can feel any God###### way I want to about another team or their fans. I don't even need a reason. This is sports and I can hate anyone I want to just for the mere reason that they aren't the Sabres or their fans. If they don't like it, well, they can go right off as well. And I'm certainly not going to be told how or what to think of these things on a message board devoted to the BUFFALO SABRES! Anyone who doesn't like it can go to their other team's message board and shine each other's about how great they are. Is it jealousy? Abso######lutely, but who gives a ######? Doesn't make it any less real and at least I feel something. So all you Nashville fans can take your great street party and your country singers and shove them right up your ass. I'm a Sabres fan and don't care about you. I'll be sitting here with my rage to keep me company until the Sabres are good again. Feel free to hate me as much then.

I feel better.

My 5 year old understands offsides, icing etc. I literally have to beg him to go to the bathroom instead of watch the zamboni at intermission. I'm not saying he's special or not special compared to other kids, he just genuinely loves hockey. During the season, in the morning he jumps on the ipad as I make coffee, checks the scoreboard and watches the highlights not only of the sabres but most of the games. It is obviously also about the parents. It is amazing to have your kid with you when something special happens. I will never forget the look on my daughter's face when Jack scored that ridiculous goal against Columbus or my son after the OT breakaway goal against the Hurricanes. Finally, even if I was not a parent I would still love the afternoon games. Heck yes, I prefer a 1 - 3 PM start on a frigid saturday in February to driving down at night.

There are always exceptions. I grew up in the press box at my home rink. Listening to my dad do my older brothers games. I'd get a kit Kat and a hot chocolate and watch hockey all day. In between periods I'd be under the bleachers looking for stuff to play with, or trying to get a ride on the zamboni.

I go to a few games a year down here for the baby penguins. I'll hit up Comets and Crunch games when I'm back home. I just laugh when I see toddlers passed out, slumped like tiny drunks in their seats.

Nashville can ###### right off!! I'm a mother###### Sabres fan. I can feel any God###### way I want to about another team or their fans. I don't even need a reason. This is sports and I can hate anyone I want to just for the mere reason that they aren't the Sabres or their fans. If they don't like it, well, they can go ###### right off as well. And I'm certainly not going to be told how or what to think of these things on a message board devoted to the BUFFALO SABRES! Anyone who doesn't like it can go to their other team's message board and shine each other's ###### about how great they are. Is it jealousy? Abso######lutely, but who gives a ######? Doesn't make it any less real and at least I feel something. So all you Nashville fans can take your great street party and your country singers and shove them right up your ass. I'm a Sabres fan and don't care about you. I'll be sitting here with my rage to keep me company until the Sabres are good again. Feel free to hate me as much then.

I feel better.

Amen brother. That goes for any other team too (few come to mind here)

I don't have much doubt that if the finals were in Buffalo, there'd be that many people downtown; especially if you hedge and adjust for population. There were something like 10000 outside at the Rangers game that Drury won in OT, weren't there? And that was second round.

Good for Nashville. I'm happy the fans down there have embraced the team.

Edited by MattPie

Nashville can ###### right off!! I'm a mother###### Sabres fan. I can feel any God###### way I want to about another team or their fans. I don't even need a reason. This is sports and I can hate anyone I want to just for the mere reason that they aren't the Sabres or their fans. If they don't like it, well, they can go ###### right off as well. And I'm certainly not going to be told how or what to think of these things on a message board devoted to the BUFFALO SABRES! Anyone who doesn't like it can go to their other team's message board and shine each other's ###### about how great they are. Is it jealousy? Abso######lutely, but who gives a ######? Doesn't make it any less real and at least I feel something. So all you Nashville fans can take your great street party and your country singers and shove them right up your ass. I'm a Sabres fan and don't care about you. I'll be sitting here with my rage to keep me company until the Sabres are good again. Feel free to hate me as much then.

I feel better.

You know what? I've lived down here over fifteen years, I'm a Predators fan too and I'm proud of it!

Guess what , it's a mother thread for the Stanley cup final between the penguins and Predators, if you don't like it you can get the out! You don't like us trotting out a different country singer to sing the anthem every home game? you! You don't like Charles Barkley comparing our arena atmosphere to the Bulls in their hey-day? you! You don't like the NHL and NBCSN pundits going on about how they've never seen an arena experience as awesome as ours? you! You don't like our fifty thousand plus watch parties? you! The support we are showing our team in Smashville is unprecedented! What our team is doing is unprecedented! You don't like it? you! You wish it was you? you! You're jealous of what we have down here? Good! you! Take your jealousy, dab some hot sauce on it, shove it in your holster and choke on it!

eat !

:p

Well Buffalo and Nashville are comparables even though nashville has three times the population right? False equivalence. No shoveling my driveway has nothing to do with how i love hockey, playing it in the winter with friends and going to games plays a big part.

They'd be coming out just as much if it was freaking lacrosse, if lacrosse was a major US sport.

Shall we compare buffalo vs Nashville playoff tv nelson ratings the last few years? Given Nashville is so hockey crazed?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nashville_metropolitan_area

Nashville metro pop. 1.8MM.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo%E2%80%93Niagara_Falls_metropolitan_area

Buffalo metro pop. 1.13MM

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Here's a different take:

The speed and the emotion and the attention to detail with and without the puck in the final is extraordinary.

But at this level the teams are so well-coached and so structured that the difference will be the bounces, not the great plays.

The tension remains, but the science of the game has crushed its art, its beauty, and its drama.

Edited by dudacek

You know what? I've lived down here over fifteen years, I'm a Predators fan too and I'm proud of it!

Guess what ######, it's a mother ###### thread for the Stanley cup final between the penguins and Predators, if you don't like it you can get the ###### out! You don't like us trotting out a different country singer to sing the anthem every home game? ###### you! You don't like Charles Barkley comparing our arena atmosphere to the Bulls in their hey-day? ###### you! You don't like the NHL and NBCSN pundits going on about how they've never seen an arena experience as awesome as ours? ###### you! You don't like our fifty thousand plus watch parties? ###### you! The support we are showing our team in Smashville is unprecedented! What our team is doing is unprecedented! You don't like it? ###### you! You wish it was you? ###### you! You're jealous of what we have down here? Good! ###### you! Take your ###### jealousy, dab some hot sauce on it, shove it in your ###### ###### holster and choke on it!

eat ######!

:P

I can't tell if this was supposed to be funny or not.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.